Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Yes songs from the 1970's.

Top 10 Yes songs from the 1970's.

OK, it's another copy & paste job from the ClassicRock web site but I always find these lists somewhat intriguing, especially the ensuing debates! I can certainly see this list dividing oppinions?

The top 10 best Yes songs from the 70s
    The 70s was a golden decade for Yes, one where they produced some of their finest music and redefined prog's template. Here are their 10 defining moments from that era

During the '70s Yes pushed musical boundaries about as far as any band could go while selling out stadiums and regularly going platinum. With such an embarrassment of riches to choose from, figuring out their top 10 tracks can be anything but easy but don't worry, help is at hand.

10) Astral Traveller (1970)

Taken from 1970's Time And A Word, this song is driven by short-lived original guitarist Pete Banks recurring jagged riffing and pushed into overdrive by original keyboardist Tony Kaye’s searing organ and Bill Bruford's skittering, high-tuned drums. They're rocking out but veiled behind psyche-tinged effects that properly belong back in the '60s. However, the ruminative, ornamental middle section hints at what lies in the future for the group.

9) On The Silent Wings Of Freedom (1978)

Spawned from a jam between Yes lynchpin Chris Squire and drummer Alan White, Yes end controversial album Tormato with a commanding flourish. There are times when Steve Howe’s terse guitar and Rick Wakeman’s Polymoog sound as though they’re jousting with for supremacy, goading each other with a series of escalating runs.

8) Going For The One (1977)

You want an ebullient air-punching song whose lyrics involve attainment in sports as well as the sometimes tricky art of song-writing, which also sneakily co-opts some hairy-arsed, back-to-basics rock ‘n‘ roll with a pinch of punk and soupcon of succinct symphonics? Here, this blast from '77's album of the same name should sort you out.

7) Starship Trooper (1971)

Punchy grooves, tremulous bass and nebulous harmonies that sound like the Beach Boys in outer space. Though Tony Kaye famously got bored with the repeating chords of the song’s striking conclusion, there’s no denying that this cut fromThe Yes Album is a masterclass in tension and, when it comes, ecstatic release, is where Yes really took off.

6) The Revealing Science Of God (1973)

Look, just ignore those fair-weather friends and naysayers. Sixth studio album Tales From Topographic Oceans remains an astoundingly ambitious venture, filled with glorious themes and impressive dynamics from a band willing to take a leap into the unknown. When Jon Anderson sings that he’s waited all his life for this moment, you know he really means it.

5) Roundabout (1971)

From 1972's Fragile and the song that broke the band in America via FM radio, Roundabout is a tumultuous yet catchy synthesis of West Coast harmonies, shards of spiky bass cartwheeling around Howe’s deft chords and glancing harmonics. It shouldn't work but does, with new boy, Rick Wakeman’s firework-filled organ solo unabashedly sealing the deal.

4) Yours Is No Disgrace (1971)

The template for the classic Yes sound as we know it is crystallised with this song from the aptly-titled The Yes Album. With sections seamlessly integrated, you can almost hear the giddy shock of the new they experienced during the recording. Blending Howe’s dizzying, euphoric soloing with the central soaring theme, it’s an overture awash with joyous invention.

3) Heart Of The Sunrise (1971)

Squire’s thunderous bass, Bruford’s surgical strikes, Wakeman’s shiver-inducing Mellotron, Howe’s galloping runs and Anderson’s yearning vocal: it's the moment when Yes decided they could go beyond anything previously attempted. Epic in every sense of the word, this moment from Fragile is the point at which they acquire the confidence to be a world-beating band.

2) Awaken (1977)

Jon Anderson once said that all the extended compositions the group had been working in the ‘70s were leading to this track from '77's Going For The One. A sublime arrangement of several contrasting elements, the convergence around the Master of Light section builds into one of the most transcendent moments in the Yes catalogue.

1) Close To The Edge (1972)

The final act by this particular incarnation of the group, from the album of the same name, is nothing short of astonishing. Retaining a magical aura even 44 years after its release, masterful arrangements, some of Anderson's most potent wordplay and their exceptional instrumental firepower ensures the focus isn't lost for even one of its 18-plus minutes.

Hmm.. no Gates?

Ok, here's mine counting down from ten to one!

The Prophet
    Perpetual Change
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Gates of Delerium
    To Be Over
    Siberian Khatru
    The Remembering
    South Side of the Sky
    Awaken
    Close to the Edge

Yours Is No Disgrace
    Gates Of Delirium
    Close To The Edge
    The Revealing Science Of God
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Perpetual Change
    Ritual
    On The Silent Wings Of Freedom
    Starship Trooper
    Siberian Khatru
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

You're on!

Heart of the Sunrise
    Gates of Delirium
    Close to the Edge
    Siberian Khatru
    And You and I
    Awaken
    South Side of the Sky
    Sound Chaser
    Going for the One
    Revealing Science of God

It's almost like they felt the need to include a song from every 70s album. But as we all know Relayer soundly trumps Time and a Word ("Sad!") But here's my list:

1. Close to the Edge
    2. Awaken
    3. Yours Is No Disgrace
    4. Gates of Delirium
    5. Siberian Khatru
    6. Heart of the Sunrise
    7. And You And I
    8. Starship Trooper
    9. Ritual/The Ancient (tie)
    10. Something's Coming
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

in no particular order..

Gates Of Delirium
    Close To The Edge
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Sound Chaser
    Then
    America
    South Side
    Siberian Khatru
    The Remembering
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

1. Close to the Edge
    2. And You And I
    3. To Be Over
    4. Ritual
    5. The Revealing Science of God
    6. The Gates of Delirium
    7. Heart of the Sunrise
    8. Awaken
    9. Starship Trooper
    10.Perpetual Change

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    Gates Of Delirium
    Close To The Edge
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Perpetual Change
    Ritual
    Starship Trooper
    Siberian Khatru
    On the Silent Wings of Freedom would be in my top 15

Banned
    1) Awaken

2) Gates of Delirium

3) Close to the Edge

4) Heart of The Sunrise

5) On the Silent Wings of Freedom

6) The revealing science of God - Dance of the dawn

7) Wonderous Stories

8) Starship Trooper

9) And You And I

10) Arriving UFO
    Last edited by Svetonio; 09-03-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Not much profound here. I think my only real clear favorite is HotS.

1. Heart of the Sunrise
    2. Awaken
    3. Roundabout
    4. The Revealing Science of God
    5. Starship Trooper
    6. Close to the Edge
    7. Parallels
    8. The Gates of Delirium
    9. Siberian Khatru
    10. And You and I
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

If expanded beyond the 70s, it would not change at all.

1) And You And I
    2) Turn Of The Century
    3) Close To The Edge
    4) South Side Of The Sky
    5) Perpetual Change
    6) America
    7) Starship Trooper
    8) Awaken
    9) Siberian Khatru
    10) Heart Of The Sunrise
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 09-03-2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: intro comment

Uh.... oh, wait! I thought Yes' entire 70s output was only ten songs....

10. Close To The Edge
    9. Yours Is No Disgrace
    8. The Revealing Science Of God
    7. The Gates Of Delirium
    6. Heart Of The Sunrise
    5. And You And I
    4. Starship Trooper
    3. South Side Of The Sky
    2. Ritual
    1. Awaken

... If it were a top 15, I'd probably have include "No Opportunity Necessary", "Silent Wings", "Sound Chaser", "Parallels", "The Remembering".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Uh.... oh, wait! I thought Yes' entire 70s output was only ten songs....
    Heh, that's what I was thinking!

My choice (valid as of this minute only) in chronological order:
    Then
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    Starship Trooper
    Perpetual Change
    Long Distance Runaround
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Close to the Edge
    Siberian Khatru
    Wonderous Stories
    Awaken

Starship Trooper
    Your Is No Disgrace
    Perpetual Change
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Roundabout
    And You And I
    Close To The Edge
    Revealing Science Of God
    Gates Of Delirium
    Wondrous Stories

Not a bad list, except I question "Silent Wings."

Mine would be something like this. Hard to limit it to just 10!

Close to the Edge
    The Gates of Delirium
    Heart of the Sunrise
    America
    Awaken
    And You and I
    Roundabout
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    Astral Traveller
    Turn of the Century

Ok, I'll play

Time and a word
    Starship Trooper
    I've seen all good people
    Yours is no disgrace
    Heart of the sunrise
    Roundabout
    Close to the Edge
    And you and I
    Gates of Delirium
    Awaken

Tough to limit it to just ten so here are five honorable mentions:

Perpetual Change
    Ritual
    Sound chaser
    Going for the One
    On the silent wings of freedom

Initially I had survival on here but then I realized it's not from the 70's.

1. And You and I (perhaps the most beautiful song Yes ever composed)
    2. Roundabout (overplayed, certainly, but proof that even a complex song can have immense popular appeal, the crux of the 70s prog movement)
    3. Starship Trooper (the eternal outro is, as far as science is aware, continuing to beam to distant galaxies)
    4. Heart of the Sunrise (one of the best bass-centered compositions ever created)
    5. Mood for a Day (proof positive that Bach could sell albums to 70s teens if he were born a few centuries later)
    6. I've Seen All Good People (Chris Squire said the song's lyrics were created by pulling phrases from a hat - you've got love that and the joyous creation)
    7. Close to the Edge (a quintessential 18 minute prog composition that doesn't get bogged down like longer works on TFTO and Relayer).
    8. Awaken (the final great composition of 70s-era Yes, and perhaps Wakeman's greatest contribution while with Yes)
    9. Sound Chaser (one of the densest and complex of Yes compositions, with classical, jazz, blues and hard rock influences - and the tempo changes!)
    10. Parallels (one of the songs from Going for the One with a stripped down sound that presaged Yes's 80s works)
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

^Nice list. About half of those were on mine. I was going to include ISAGP but for some reason didn't. Just wondering why you didn't put Gates in your top ten. Is it too wild for you or something? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Nice list. About half of those were on mine.
    That seems to be the interesting common theme with these lists. Each list has about 5-6 albums in common with any other list stacked next up to it, with a variation of about 10 (or so) songs making up the other 5.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Perpetual Change
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Gates of Delerium
    To Be Over
    Siberian Khatru
    South Side of the Sky
    Awaken
    Astral Traveller
    Yours Is No Disgrace

Starship Trooper
    We Have Heaven
    Good People
    Sound Chaser
    Then
    America

I've seen all good people

those bolded in are probably atop of my list
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Way more then 10 from the 70's---way more. I could do a top 10 80's Yes songs----well maybe not 10 but 5 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Nice list. About half of those were on mine. I was going to include ISAGP but for some reason didn't. Just wondering why you didn't put Gates in your top ten. Is it too wild for you or something? :P
    Thank you. As far as "Gates", I'm not a big fan of either Relayer or TFTO. I think Yes went off the deep end on those two albums and lost the great sense of tuneful melody combined with complex musicality that made The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge so unique in popular music at the time. They took themselves way too seriously at that point, and I think they realized their sudden pompous Emerson, Lake and Palmerishness and returned to the melodic sense of earlier equilibrium with the release of Going for the One.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

It's interesting. Getting into the band in the eighties I was ok with the music from that period. Of course I soon(no pun intended) discovered all the gems from the seventies. However, I always just thought of Yes as a band and eventually a prog band but never really pigeonholed them as being a product from one particular era or decade. Then when I saw them live last year I overheard a woman who was sitting near me saying that they are "a seventies band." I kind of take offense to it because it almost seems to imply that only their seventies material is worthwhile or that they stopped making good music. Led Zeppelin were a seventies band and Gentle Giant also but Yes? I'm sure many on here will agree with her. Is Genesis a seventies band too? Their biggest success was in the eighties. Ok, end of rant.