Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 10 Yes songs from the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I own Tales and do like it. But there's no one piece on that album that for me hangs together in such a way that I'd rate it that highly. There are individual parts of songs that I love, but not just one song that that I love in total.

The closest for me is actually The Ancient, though I've never really felt the "Leaves of Grass" part really fit in the context of that song. To me it sounds like two excellent songs sort of arbitrarily squashed together, which for me diminishes the whole piece. I think that's my problem with Tales, there's just too many moments where I hear stuff like that and I think that if they weren't trying to stretch it into four ~20 minute long songs, many ideas may have been used more thoughtfully and to greater effect. But, it is what it is at this point.

Tales just isn't among my favorite Yes albums, nor are the songs among my favorite Yes songs.

Bill
    Fair enough. I was just wondering. I think Ritual is brilliant personally but even with that I prefer the live version from Yesshows. Tales would probably just miss my top five albums maybe top six. I'd have to consider whether I prefer it to GFTO or not. Sure it is long but it has it's own weird charm. It is a bit much to sit through in one sitting though. I think Yes were best with the three to five song format.

In descending order:

1. Yours is No Disgrace
    2. Close to the Edge
    3. Awaken
    4. And You and I
    5. The Gates of Delirium
    6. Ritual
    7. Starship Trooper
    8. America
    9. South Side of the Sky
    10. Siberian Khatru

Awaken
    Close to the Edge
    Gates
    And You & I
    Turn of The Century
    Your Is no Disgrace
    South Side of the Sky
    Siberian K
    Something's Coming
    Tales Side 3 (for the insane percussion/Lap steel intro bordering on RIO & the "Fields of Green" section)