Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Yes songs from the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Thank you. As far as "Gates", I'm not a big fan of either Relayer or TFTO. I think Yes went off the deep end on those two albums and lost the great sense of tuneful melody combined with complex musicality that made The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge so unique in popular music at the time. They took themselves way too seriously at that point, and I think they realized their sudden pompous Emerson, Lake and Palmerishness and returned to the melodic sense of earlier equilibrium with the release of Going for the One.
    They are wild and possibly overly adventurous albums but that's what I like about them. I have a cousin who didn't like Relayer either. I think he just thought they went too wild on that one. He apparently isn't much of a fan of fusion either.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    That seems to be the interesting common theme with these lists. Each list has about 5-6 albums in common with any other list stacked next up to it, with a variation of about 10 (or so) songs making up the other 5.
    That and the fact that since there aren't that many songs because many Yes songs were very long makes over lapping pretty much inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Thank you. As far as "Gates", I'm not a big fan of either Relayer or TFTO. I think Yes went off the deep end on those two albums and lost the great sense of tuneful melody combined with complex musicality that made The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge so unique in popular music at the time. They took themselves way too seriously at that point, and I think they realized their sudden pompous Emerson, Lake and Palmerishness and returned to the melodic sense of earlier equilibrium with the release of Going for the One.
    The voice of reason, and on PE no less. I think I'm going to shit myself.

Amazed that "Turn of the Century" gets so little love! For me it's one of their very greatest pieces.

My list in order

TotC
    Awaken
    Close to the Edge
    Gates
    Ritual
    Starship Trooper
    To Be Over
    Sound Chaser
    Your Is no Disgrace
    Onward

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That and the fact that since there aren't that many songs because many Yes songs were very long makes over lapping pretty much inevitable.
    My quick count suggests there are 46 total Yes songs from the 70s. Considering it's unlikely that many people are going to choose more than one or two tracks from Time and a Word or Tormato, or the solo spots on Fragile, etc., that cuts the list down even further.

It's interesting. Getting into the band in the eighties I was ok with the music from that period. Of course I soon(no pun intended) discovered all the gems from the seventies. However, I always just thought of Yes as a band and eventually a prog band but never really pigeonholed them as being a product from one particular era or decade. Then when I saw them live last year I overheard a woman who was sitting near me saying that they are "a seventies band." I kind of take offense to it because it almost seems to imply that only their seventies material is worthwhile or that they stopped making good music. Led Zeppelin were a seventies band and Gentle Giant also but Yes? I'm sure many on here will agree with her. Is Genesis a seventies band too? Their biggest success was in the eighties. Ok, end of rant.
    I feel much the same, and I think our perceptions have to do with when we discovered the band. I found them in the '80s as well, and I'm sure that colored my perceptions of them. To me they were a band that could do pop-rock really well, and prog-rock even better. And I never felt like I needed to choose one or the other.

1. yours is no disgrace
    2. heart of the sunrise
    3, Close to the Edge
    4. Starship Trooper
    5. siberian khatru
    6. Sound Chaser
    7. I've Seen All Good People
    8. South Side of the Sky
    9. Perpetual Change
    10. Gates of Delirium

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I could do a top 10 80's Yes songs----well maybe not 10 but 5 lol.
    and they would all come from Drama
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Amazed that "Turn of the Century" gets so little love! For me it's one of their very greatest pieces.

I was surprised to see On The Silent Wings Of Freedom from Tormato (of all albums) mentinned a few times.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Arriving UFO" is the one I was surprised to see on a list. I think "Silent Wings" is a great track, and as I said, would probably make my top 15 (but not top 10 )....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

After the lovely simplicity of "Onward", "Arriving UFO" is my favourite track from Tormato. But on the whole that's not saying much.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

After the lovely simplicity of "Onward", "Arriving UFO" is my favourite track from Tormato. But on the whole that's not saying much.
    ...but is it in your top 10 Yes songs from the 70s?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I feel much the same, and I think our perceptions have to do with when we discovered the band. I found them in the '80s as well, and I'm sure that colored my perceptions of them. To me they were a band that could do pop-rock really well, and prog-rock even better. And I never felt like I needed to choose one or the other.
    You didn't feel you needed to chose one or the other at least until you came on here right?

^ Isn't that the truth!

Close To The Edge
    And You And I
    South Side Of The Sky
    Perpetual Change
    Your Move(All Good People)
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    The Gates Of Delerium
    Sound Chaser
    The Ancient
    To Be Over
    Awaken

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I could do a top 10 80's Yes songs----well maybe not 10 but 5 lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    and they would all come from Drama
    Since you asked (okay, you didn't really...)

Into The Lens
    Tempus Fugit
    Owner of a Lonely Heart
    Hold On
    Leave it
    Changes
    Shoot High Aim Low
    Brother of Mine
    Birthright
    The Meeting

(Including ABWH because, well it's a Yes album ).

Edit:

Oops, I'll take this to the other thread.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...fter-the-1970s
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 09-04-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Here's my top Yes favorites from the 70s:

10) South Side of the Sky
    9) And You and I
    8) Starship Trooper
    7) Sound Chaser
    6) Close to the Edge
    5) Yours is No Disgrace
    4) Heart of the Sunrise
    3) Gates of Delerium
    2) On the Silent Wings of Freedom
    1) Awaken

I've always said Silent Wings is among my favorite Yes pieces, and there it is. The one I hate leaving off is Turn of the Century, that would probably have been #11.

Bill

^ Hey, have you ever considered buying tales from topographic oceans?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Arriving UFO" is the one I was surprised to see on a list. I think "Silent Wings" is a great track, and as I said, would probably make my top 15 (but not top 10 )....
    Considering all three are from Tormato's flipside and that Tormato doesn't get any love on this site.... I'd say that's pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Since you asked (okay, you didn't really...)
    I couldn't do an 80's top 10 even if I included the 90's... In which case, it would mostly come from Drama and Keystudio

If only for the astounding artwork... (RD's best by a mile, IMHO)

as for the music, I'll pass

I own Tales and do like it. But there's no one piece on that album that for me hangs together in such a way that I'd rate it that highly. There are individual parts of songs that I love, but not just one song that that I love in total.

The closest for me is actually The Ancient, though I've never really felt the "Leaves of Grass" part really fit in the context of that song. To me it sounds like two excellent songs sort of arbitrarily squashed together, which for me diminishes the whole piece. I think that's my problem with Tales, there's just too many moments where I hear stuff like that and I think that if they weren't trying to stretch it into four ~20 minute long songs, many ideas may have been used more thoughtfully and to greater effect. But, it is what it is at this point.

Tales just isn't among my favorite Yes albums, nor are the songs among my favorite Yes songs.

Bill

And You And I
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Perpetual Change
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    Roundabout
    revealing Science of God
    Gates of Delerium
    To Be Over
    Awaken
    The Ancient
    Last edited by the winter tree; 09-05-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Uh.... oh, wait! I thought Yes' entire 70s output was only ten songs....
    Beat me to it....

Anyway mine are

1. Yours is No Disgrace
    2. Sound Chaser
    3. Gates of Delirium
    4. South Side of the Sky
    5. Heart of the Sunrise
    6. The Ancient
    7. Siberian Khatru
    8. Close to the Edge
    9. Starship Trooper
    10. America

Chronological order:

Yours is no Disgrace
    Roundabout
    Long Distance Runaround (first mention I believe??)
    Close to the Edge
    And You and I
    Siberian Khatru
    The Revealing Science of God
    The Ancient
    Going for the One
    Awaken

The Remembering
    To Be Over
    And You and I
    Siberian Khatru
    Close To The Edge
    Gates of Delirium
    Awaken
    Survival
    Then
    Heart of the Sunrise
    South Side of the Sky
    Turn of the Century

shoot that's 12, and I haven't started on 'The Yes Album'.