Thread: FEATURED CD: Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Black Stabat Mater

FEATURED CD: Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Black Stabat Mater

Today's feature is a fine new release from 2016 from the Hedvig Mollestad Trio on Rune Grammofon. This female-fronted guitar trio is worth looking into for those who like rock guitar trios.

Review from The Progressive Aspect
    Their album title might give you a clue, but the Hedvig Mollestad Trio are not, despite the look of the band name, a jazz trio, oh no maties. What they are is a yin-yang-yin primal force of ur-rock noise dealing in monstrous riffs and driving rhythms. Where they do link to jazz is in spirit, the “do what you want” ethos shining through in freeform wigouts the likes of which I cannot recall hearing in such an unfettered fashion since the early Deutschrock escapades of Ash Ra Tempel and Guru Guru. We soon get a taste of these cosmic extrapolations during On Arrival which on being brought to the departure lounge by the more conventional but no less thrilling Page-on-acid of Approaching, we rapidly ascend beyond all known constraints and enter a kaleidoscopic world of lysergically altered perceptions, fried brain cells and shattered eardrums. On Arrival is closest to the band’s often edge-of-seat improv one finds in a live setting, and some may say “oh, that’s just noise”. It is indeed, but a joyous one and a racket to get lost in. Those who understand will close their eyes and lose themselves in the trip, and those who don’t…our bus is probably full anyway.

Those first two tunes come as one track on my review download, but they can be viewed as and indeed may well turn out to be two separate tracks on the released album.

The two girls and one boy that make up this triptych of manic sonic energy are led by the burgeoning talent of guitarist Hedvig Mollestad, a Viking warrior princess wielding her axe with the feminine power of ancient goddesses at her beck and call. Hedvig has been playing guitar since the age of ten, and soon received her first electric guitar as a confirmation present, thereafter channelling the spirit of Hendrix via her dad’s jazz record collection. She met bass player Ellen Brekken and drummer Ivar Loe Bjørnstad at the Music Academy in Oslo, eventually forming the band in 2009, since when they have produced three albums prior to this one. The second of those, 2013’s All Of Them Witches was my only previous knowledge of the band, and I can see a definite development in confidence and composition from there to here, and this wonderfully primal album. Essentially recorded live with only some very minor overdubs the sheer force of energy that emanates from these zeros and ones holds this grizzly old reviewer captivated, and serves up much a needed helping of hugely dynamic and primitive yet sophisticated rock noise – just what the doctor ordered!

While Hedvig Mollestad Trio are not a jazz band per se as I said up there, they use the spirit of jazz to good effect, and the warm cosmic glow of 40 gives the listener respite from the fury, with Hedvig using jazz chording and timings to good effect. This should not put the rock fan off, indeed I doubt that the dedicated headbanger would even notice, or care and why should they? The spirit of Coltrane mixes with the influence of Hendrix and Sabbath, and maybe some of those German bands who arrived as the 1960s turned into the 70s having developed outside the sphere of the influence of dem blooze. The end result is Ellen’s rock solid Geezer rumble welded to Ivan’s free-rock drumming in the vein of Mani Neumeier on the infernal flame of Somebody Else Should Be On That Bus. A flaming torch is ignited and borne by Hedvig’s swing between classic HM riffing and freeform exploration.

Do you ever get the urge to go back to basics, but retain an element of the “difficult” music that has led your mates to consider you a bit weird (that’s me, by the way!)? Then this album is definitely for you. - Roger Trenwith

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Crunchy.I dig.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great band I found out about a couple years ago and have been listening to since. Here they are playing on a beach:

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

She's fabulous.

I've seen her perform on a number of occasions, and I'm most likely seeing her yet again next weekend at Victoria here in Oslo. Mollestad is a technical chopper who knows how to avoid the most overt clichés of the craft - though still displaying the odd obvious trick for the sheer fun of it.

I haven't heard this latest album, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This one is high on my to-buy-next list.

Anybody know a good place to get the Rune records in the UK?

Never heard of her or her trio, but I really dig this. That sample took me by surprise, as starts off slightly stoner-ish but then (almost imperceptibly) moves into more experimental noise- and post-rock terrain. Thanks for featuring this dark horse!

PS: Don’t tell Wynton “Purity” Marsalis, but her Wiki page claims she’s a Jazzer…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

great stuff live for the first 15 to 25 minutes, but it does wear out its welcome

the studio album samples sounds a bit more adventurous.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Maybe her best, and I like them all!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

She opened for John McLaughlin November 2014 in London a few days before the Lindsay Cooper tribute concert. For me she completely stole the show. I have yet to listen to her records.

Fantastic album, first I got from her and for me near the top of the Rune Grammofon list - high praise indeed.

Evil in Oslo is even going to force a rare vinyl purchase from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    great stuff live for the first 15 to 25 minutes, but it does wear out its welcome
    I didn't last that long, I got about three quarters of the way through the sample track and bailed. She's got a great guitar tone, but there's just not enough going on musically to keep me interested. This sounds almost exactly like the stuff we did in high school, lot's of riffs strung together and some solos. Just doesn't hold my interest anymore.

Bill

That's a fair comment to suggest it is somewhat one-dimensional over time. It's just whether you have a propensity for that particular dimension.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    That's a fair comment to suggest it is somewhat one-dimensional over time. It's just whether you have a propensity for that particular dimension.
    Absolutely.

As with AC/DC or Motörhead or Status Quo or Blue Cheer or just about any other loose configuration of the downstripped instrumental format I can think of - including, say, some of Terje Rypdal's work. Or Hendrix, Beck, Trower, J. Blood Ulmer or Sonny Sharrock, for that matter - all of which arguably to some degree informed Mollestad.

I have to say that I wouldn't usually sit around and listen to three Hedvig albums in a row. This music isn't about either the "song" or developmental duration - it's about the stretch of certain moments and dynamics. Whether it goes on for two or twenty minutes therefore isn't really all too relevant; the moment moves on and there's an ensuing one, and a new one soon thereafter. It's essentially like jam-rock approached from the perspective of a performer cultivated through a purportedly timeless jazz ethos.

Believe me, it's something different to behold and hear while present in a live setting. She is captivating in her controlled chaos of things, and leaves a tepid void once it's over.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I didn't last that long, I got about three quarters of the way through the sample track and bailed. She's got a great guitar tone, but there's just not enough going on musically to keep me interested. This sounds almost exactly like the stuff we did in high school, lot's of riffs strung together and some solos. Just doesn't hold my interest anymore.

Bill
    Yeah, I would actually englobe this band in the stoner rock genre

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Actually, I do have a sweet tooth for that garage-jam stuff... and TBH, I don't understand why it doesn't please me more... maybe too samey over the duration.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Ah, this is a band I really enjoy. I've seen them live a couple of times and have most of their albums. Great stuff!