Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Bill Bruford: What are your thoughts on his drumming?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I read somewhere that Rick Wakeman felt a bit lost when Bill absconded from Yes; he was someone he could have a laugh with.
    Interesting. That makes sense.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

Thanks.. anyone looking for a nice show with Bruford..
    Gong
    Ibsenhuset, Skien, Norway
    11 December 1974

Source: AUD
    Quality: A-
    Lineage: Trade CDR > EAC (secure) > FLAC (L8)

1. Master Builder (6:08)
    2. Perfect Mystery (2:26)
    3. Tropical Fish (5:12)
    4. I Never Glid Before (7:22)
    5. Solar Musick Suite (7:48)
    6. Oily Way (2:11)
    7. Outer Temple (2:52)
    8. Inner Temple (1:30)
    9. A Sprinkling Of Clouds (5:36)
    10. You Can't Kill Me (3:33)
    11. The Isle Of Everywhere (2:17)

Total time 46:55

Lineup:
    Daevid Allen, Didier Malherbe, Tim Blake, Steve Hillage, Mike Howlett, Miquette Giraudy, Bill Bruford

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Gong
    11 December 1974

Lineup:
    Daevid Allen, Didier Malherbe, Tim Blake, Steve Hillage, Mike Howlett, Miquette Giraudy, Bill Bruford
    The show I had included a couple of oddball songs from Daevid Allen , which were reminiscent of the music he wrote in his Good Morning period.

I have this one too. Sound is a bit distant and very audience - but listenable.

GONG 1974-11-15

Allonnes (near Le Mans), FR - Gymnase - aud (88m) (2cd)

Daevid Allen, Didier Malherbe, Tim Blake, Steve Hillage, Mike Howlett, Miquette Giraudy,
    Bill Bruford

Disc 1:

1) Magick Mother Invocation (4:31) *
    2) Master Builder (5:51)
    3) Perfect Mystery (2:37) **
    4) Tropical Fish (5:10) ***
    5) I Never Glid Before (8:11) $
    6) Solar Musick Suite (9:42) £
    7) Flute Salad (5:48)
    8) Oily Way (3:09) %
    9) Outer Temple (3:52)
    10) Inner Temple (5:36) §
    11) A Sprinkling Of Clouds (8:26) =
    12) You Can't Kill Me (9:15) #

Disc 2:

1) The Isle Of Everywhere (7:15) ?
    2) Get It Inner (2:00) ^
    3) You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever (6:52) °

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Gong
    11 December 1974

Lineup:
    so... what was Pierre Moerlen doing during this phase of Gong?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Percussions de Strasbourg
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    so... what was Pierre Moerlen doing during this phase of Gong?

It is possible not so easy to hear it on the Panzerpappa albums, but Bill Bruford is probably my favourite drummer all over. I love Hasse Bruniusson, Christian Vander, Daniel Denis, Charles Hayward, Audun Kleive, Phil Collins, Matt Chamberlain and a bunch of other excellent drummers, but Bruford is a unique drummer that manged to carve out a niche within the rock drumming canon. It is more technical and experimental drummers out there, but Bruford played for the song in his own peculiar way, and that is what inspires me as a drummer.

At the release party for Astromalist, Panzerpappa played Starless. Before the concert I took some time to figure out the drumming of the song. It is actually pretty easy technically, but the veeeeery difficult part is to figure out the feel of the drumming ...

https://youtu.be/A7zrVxK5ehQ?t=3m54s

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermann View Post
    It is possible not so easy to hear it on the Panzerpappa albums, but Bill Bruford is probably my favourite drummer all over. I love Hasse Bruniusson, Christian Vander, Daniel Denis, Charles Hayward, Audun Kleive, Phil Collins, Matt Chamberlain and a bunch of other excellent drummers, but Bruford is a unique drummer that manged to carve out a niche within the rock drumming canon. It is more technical and experimental drummers out there, but Bruford played for the song in his own peculiar way, and that is what inspires me as a drummer.

At the release party for Astromalist, Panzerpappa played Starless. Before the concert I took some time to figure out the drumming of the song. It is actually pretty easy technically, but the veeeeery difficult part is to figure out the feel of the drumming ...

https://youtu.be/A7zrVxK5ehQ?t=3m54s
    That is some fine playing! You captured the feeling very well. Lots of tension going loose and tight - and swimming around inside the measure. Cool

Thanks for sharing! I love that part of the song especially because of Bill's percussive ideas and the way he directs the rhythm. You did well! "Knall versjon"

One of the most interesting drummers ever. A conscientious weaver of beats and notes and sounds, not just a timekeeper or a rockstar. An eclectic.
    Still alive and well...

Hi best work was with UK and 80s KC. He was a good drummer with Yes and Wetton KC albums. Don't really like his style in the 90s. All I hear is snare. My favourite drummer is Vander. He was definitely better in the 70s than Bruford imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    One of the most interesting drummers ever. A conscientious weaver of beats and notes and sounds, not just a timekeeper or a rockstar. An eclectic.
    I haven't read this entire thread, but a good portion of it and your statement is spot on. I think Bill is/was more of a musician than a drummer. I think there are many drummers that technically more skilled. Bill is more of a virtuoso not "just as drummer", but a well-rounded musician/composer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yeah...

What the HELLA? Don Caballero on steroids? Where’s the one? No matter, this is amazing drumming. That appears to be Zach Hill, who apparently doesn’t even use a double-bass pedal, which (if true) is absolutely freakish.

But back to Bruford: He may not have been a plug & play drummer (i.e. not adaptable to every musical situation), but he had his own voice. IFIRC, he was mostly self-taught and his quirks were thankfully never ironed out by teachers. (Not knocking music schools, mind. Just an observation.)
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Here's what Eddie Offord thinks about Bruford and I tend to agree. Bruford was good at the tickly-paradiddle stuff but lacked some "shoulder" in his playing.

“I worked with both drummers – first Bill Bruford and then Alan White. Bill was a very white drummer, in my opinion. He’s brilliant, but there is a certain feel that I wanted to get. Alan is a very soulful player. He’s slightly back on the beat, but it’s done in the right way. It was tough for him at first to play Yes music because of all the time signatures. It wasn’t until the second tour that he started to gel. When he got it, he was fantastic. He played the hell out of Starship Trooper."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...-career-570643
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

I think if you put Bill's head alongside Alan's head (think Rosey Grier and Ray Milland, you B movie fans) and let them each keep seizing control over Alan's limbs away from each other, you'd have the ultimate prog rock drummer. On that note, I would LOVE to have heard Bill play on The Ancient or Sound Chaser, just to see how he would have approached that music.