Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rare Lead Vocals

Rare Lead Vocals

Give examples in which a member of a band who is not one of the usual lead singers gets a rare shot at lead vocals on a song.

Chicago - horn player Lee Loughnane on "Song of the Evergreens" from Chicago VII

Humble Pie - drummer Jerry Shirley on "Only a Roach" from the s/t album from 1970

Be Bop Deluxe - bassist Robert Bryan sang "Rocket Cathedrals" on the debut "Axe Victim" album

Rolling Stones - bassist Bill Wyman sings "In Another Land"

The Monkees - a few by Peter Tork that I can think of - "Shades of Grey", "Lady's Baby", "Prithee", "Tear the Top Off My Head"

The Beatles - eleven by Ringo

Kiss - Peter Criss on "Beth" and probably a few others but I'll defer to the Kiss expert Gruno to name the rest

Queen - Roger Taylor on "I'm in Love with my Car". Apparently he sang a few others and so did Brian May but I'll defer to a Queen expert to fill us in
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining (OK, it was a solo single but still, only time he ever sang lead as far as I know). I read about him doing this as an encore and letting the audience take the vocals.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

Chicago - horn player Lee Loughnane on "Song of the Evergreens" from Chicago VII
    X and XI had both Loughnane and James Pankow singing lead on one song each.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Mike Portnoy
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Stewart Copeland did "On Any Other Day" and first verse on "Does Everyone Stare", and Andy Summers sang "Mother". "Sally" was spoken word, so not really counting that one.

Nick Mason on One of These Days
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Phil Collins began to ruin Genesis when he sang "More Fool Me".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Phil Collins began to ruin Genesis when he sang "More Fool Me".
    They should've let Tony sing more, as on the Shepherd!

Ron Howden sang the title track of Magic is a Child.
    Keith Moon sang (co-)lead on "Bell Boy" from Quadrophenia. Also the Who's cover of "Barbara Ann."
    Of course, Dave Davies on "Death of a Clown..."
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Trower - "Poor Mohammed"
    Bev Bevan - "Ben Crawley Steel Company"
    Ginger Baker - "Pressed Rat And Warthog"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Todd Rundgren sang lead on "Kiddie Boy" by Nazz, and afaik Stewkey sang lead on every other song on all 3 Nazz albums (we all know who wrote almost all of it).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Poli Palmer(Family)-Larf And Sing
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

R.E.M. - Mike Mills (bass) - Lead Vocals on the singles "Superman", "Near Wild Heaven", bridge of "Fall On Me", a few others

E.L.O. - Kelly Groucutt (Bass) - Lead Vocals on "Down Home Town", "Poker", first and second bridge of "Sweet Is The Night", parts of "Nightrider" and "Waterfall", parts of "Above The Clouds", others

Sabbath: Bill Ward sings "Swinging The Chain" and "It's Alright"

I thought he did "Solitude" as well but maybe not.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Tony Hicks only ever had a few lead vocals in The Hollies that I can recall...one of the verses in 'Carrie Anne', 'Pegasus' and 'Born A Man'.

Roger Taylor actually sang on most of the earlier Queen albums. 'Modern Times Rock And Roll', 'Loser In The End', 'Tenement Funster', 'Drowse', 'Fight From The Inside' etc. I think he has quite a strong lead voice, actually. It's also usually him doing the really piercing backing vocals in Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Stewart Copeland did "On Any Other Day" and first verse on "Does Everyone Stare", and Andy Summers sang "Mother". "Sally" was spoken word, so not really counting that one.
    Here's a case of 'rare' that should have been 'never'. With the possible exception of 'Does Everyone Stare' what an atrocious bunch of songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Kiss - Peter Criss on "Beth" and probably a few others but I'll defer to the Kiss expert Gruno to name the rest
    "Hard Luck Woman" was a pretty big hit that Criss also sang

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post

I thought he did "Solitude" as well but maybe not.
    Slowly I turn, step by step..

Man, I've seen some dudes almost come to blows over who sang this damn song. Some said Ward, some Iommi, and some said Ozzy. I just said that I didn't care as the song wasn't that great.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Does it count that Happy The Man was a mostly instrumental band, except for a couple tunes where, who was it,Whittaker? sang?

Jefferson James
    Eagles knocked it out twice with the "token bass player" songs "Take It to the Limit" sung by Randy Meisner and "I Can't Tell You Why" sung by Timothy B. Schmit.

I always thought it was cool the band were able to pull this off, like, I imagine Glenn Frey saying "Don, Randy quit the band so let's write a hit for Timothy, maybe he has some ideas."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining (OK, it was a solo single but still, only time he ever sang lead as far as I know). I read about him doing this as an encore and letting the audience take the vocals.
    He also sang the next single, Tally Man, as well The Yardbirds' "Nazz Are Blue" and "Psycho Daisies". Later he sang Black Cat Moan on the BBA album, and She's a Woman (with effects) on Blow by Blow.

Are lead vocals "rare" when they're the opposite of "well done"?

Jefferson James
    Television is a medium because anything well done is rare.

GG, John Weathers vocals on Friends from Giant For A Day
    I remember tomorrow

Maureen Tucker - Velvet Underground - on Afterhours on their s/t 3rd album.