Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rare Lead Vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

Queen - Roger Taylor on "I'm in Love with my Car". Apparently he sang a few others and so did Brian May but I'll defer to a Queen expert to fill us in
    Most of the early Queen albums featured at least one song with Roger Taylor and Brian May on vocals.

REO Speedwagon had one of their biggest hits with "Back On The Road Again" with bassist Bruce Hall on vocals.

Spock's Beard drummer Jimmy Keagan kills it on vocals on the song "Bennet Built A Time Machine" on the most recent album.

Benny Andersson of ABBA on “Suzy-Hang-Around”

Daniel Fichelscher of Amon Düül II on “Sleepwalker’s Timeless Bridge”

Gerd/Rolf Zacher on “H. G. Wells’ Take-Off” and “Deutsch Nepal” by Amon Düül II

John G. Perry of Caravan on “Be All Right”

Jan Schelhaas of Caravan on “Silver Strings” and “Man in a Car”

Gianni Nocenzi of Banco on “La città sottile”

Bev Bevan of the Move on “Zing Went the Strings of My Heart”

Nona Hendryx* of Labelle on “A Man in a Trenchcoat (Voodoo)”

Ikkou Nakajima of Pageant on “Seruroido no sora (Un ciel de celluloïde)”

Jon Camp of Renaissance on “Kindness (At the End),” “She Is Love” and “Only Angels Have Wings”

Pim Koopman of Kayak on “Lovely Luna,” “His Master’s Noise” and a few other songs

Alice De Buhr of Fanny on “Solid Gold”

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Todd Rundgren sang lead on "Kiddie Boy" by Nazz, and afaik Stewkey sang lead on every other song on all 3 Nazz albums (we all know who wrote almost all of it).
    Todd sang on “You Are My Window” and “Loosen Up.” There’s an alternate version of Nazz III floating around out there with Todd’s lead vocals on all of it.

*Nona and Sarah (Dash) actually got lead parts on a lot of Labelle songs, but they were just parts. I think “A Man in a Trenchcoat” is the only Labelle song in which the lead vocal throughout the song is by anyone but Patti.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Kiss - Peter Criss on "Beth" and probably a few others but I'll defer to the Kiss expert Gruno to name the rest
    Peter sang lead or co-lead on:

• Black Diamond
    • Nothin' To Lose
    • Kissin' Time
    • Mainline
    • Strange Ways
    • Getaway
    • Beth
    • Hard Luck Woman
    • Baby Driver
    • Hooligan
    • Dirty Livin'
    • You Wanted The Best
    • I Finally Found My Way

Ace Frehley sang lead or co-lead on:

• Shock Me
    • Rocket Ride
    • 2,000 Man
    • Hard Times
    • Save Your Love
    • Talk To Me
    • Two Sides Of The Coin
    • Torpedo Girl
    • Dark Light
    • Into The Void
    • In Your Face
    • You Wanted The Best

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    "Hard Luck Woman" was a pretty big hit that Criss also sang
    He also sang lead on live staple Black Diamond. You could also put Ace Frehley in this category with Shock Me and Rocket Ride on Kiss albums (and I am sure there's more. In fact, I think he did a song on The Elder).
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    He also sang lead on live staple Black Diamond. You could also put Ace Frehley in this category with Shock Me and Rocket Ride on Kiss albums (and I am sure there's more. In fact, I think he did a song on The Elder).
    That would be “Dark Light”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Isabelle Feuillebois of Magma/Offering- who is almost always part of the chorus or group trio- on lead for Love in the Darkness, Offering Live DVD of 2013:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Eagles knocked it out twice with the "token bass player" songs "Take It to the Limit" sung by Randy Meisner and "I Can't Tell You Why" sung by Timothy B. Schmit.

I always thought it was cool the band were able to pull this off, like, I imagine Glenn Frey saying "Don, Randy quit the band so let's write a hit for Timothy, maybe he has some ideas."
    Schmidt also sang their 90s hit "Love Will Keep Us Alive".....if you ask me, I think he's the Eagles best vocalist, hands down.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No one's mentioned Ringo?

ACT NATURALLY

BOYS DON’T PASS ME BY

HONEY DON’T

GOOD NIGHT

I WANNA BE YOUR MAN

MATCHBOX

OCTOPUS’S GARDEN

WHAT GOES ON

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

YELLOW SUBMARINE

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Todd Rundgren sang lead on "Kiddie Boy" by Nazz, and afaik Stewkey sang lead on every other song on all 3 Nazz albums (we all know who wrote almost all of it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Todd sang on “You Are My Window” and “Loosen Up.” There’s an alternate version of Nazz III floating around out there with Todd’s lead vocals on all of it.
    He sang lead on There Is Only One Winner on the original Nazz III too. (And the middle section of Open My Eyes on Nazz's first!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining (OK, it was a solo single but still, only time he ever sang lead as far as I know). I read about him doing this as an encore and letting the audience take the vocals.
    He "sang" this at the The Ronnie Lane Appeal for ARMS Charity Concert, Royal Albert Hall, London on September 20, 1983, and yeah he did make the audience sing along on the choruses, which made for a nice nostalgic moment (for those old enough to remember that song, I guess..) That show was also the first time that Clapton, Beck and Page all appeared on the same stage together--little bit of trivia for ya.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Noel Redding the bassist of the Jimi Hendrix Experience singing several songs of his one of them being Little Miss Strange on the Axis Bold As Love album. Imo a pretty crappy vocal and
    crappy song the only saving grace was Hendrix's guitar playing.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 08-30-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Uriah Heep - Ken Hensley on Lady in Black, High Priestess and Look at Yourself + parts of Paradise / The Spell, The Magician's Birthday, One Way of Another (also featuring main lead vocal by John Wetton) and Firefly.

"Drive" by The Cars from 1984's Heartbeat City is sung by Benjamin Orr (not Ric Ocasek).
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Motorhead: Fast Eddie Clarke on "Step Down" ("Bomber" album)

Scorpions: Uli Roth on "Polar Nights", "Hell Cat",
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-31-2016 at 04:45 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    "Drive" by The Cars from 1984's Heartbeat City is sung by Benjamin Orr (not Ric Ocasek).
    Ben Orr was one of the two primary vocalists in The Cars in the early years, even though the media kept calling everything Ric Ocasik...He sang many of their early hits, including "Just What I Needed", "Bye Bye Love", and "Let's Go", just to name a few that everybody thinks Ocasik sang.......................... Of the two, I always thought Orr was the better singer although they sounded similar. Orr sang about half the material on the first few albums, but by the "Shake It Up" album, Orr was singing a lot less....He only sang three songs, including Drive, on Heartbeat City...Theres a few different rumors about why, everything from Orr's health problems to Ocasik's ego (which he really doesn't have) , but - if I had to take a very educated guess - Im more apt to think that, by the early 80s, it was due to technological convenience for Ocasik to do most of all the preliminary tracks himself in his state-of-the-art home studio (including the use of drum machines, which are very prevalent on later albums by The Cars) than have to wait for others

Last edited by klothos; 08-31-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Stewart Copeland did "On Any Other Day" and first verse on "Does Everyone Stare", and Andy Summers sang "Mother". "Sally" was spoken word, so not really counting that one.

On which albums would those songs be on?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Trower - "Poor Mohammed"
    Bev Bevan - "Ben Crawley Steel Company"
    Ginger Baker - "Pressed Rat And Warthog"
    Three relatively good examples of poor singing, but still acceptable enough

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Poli Palmer(Family)-Larf And Sing
    ooooh, good oner... I wouldn't have thought about it by myself

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Sabbath: Bill Ward sings "Swinging The Chain" and "It's Alright".
    That had completely escaped me, actually

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Roger Taylor actually sang on most of the earlier Queen albums. 'Modern Times Rock And Roll', 'Loser In The End', 'Tenement Funster', 'Drowse', 'Fight From The Inside' etc. I think he has quite a strong lead voice, actually. It's also usually him doing the really piercing backing vocals in Queen.
    I'm always a bit surprised when Queen fans tend to forget that both Roger and Brian also sang lead.
    It's not nearly as surprising as Wyman singing lead on a Stones song, IMHO

"Hard Luck Woman" was a pretty big hit that Criss also sang
    The only song I like from them, actually (hated Beth, though)

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Eagles knocked it out twice with the "token bass player" songs "Take It to the Limit" sung by Randy Meisner and "I Can't Tell You Why" sung by Timothy B. Schmit.

I always thought it was cool the band were able to pull this off, like, I imagine Glenn Frey saying "Don, Randy quit the band so let's write a hit for Timothy, maybe he has some ideas."
    Hey both of these songs are as 3eagle-ish" as their others...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No one's mentioned Ringo?

ACT NATURALLY
    BOYS DON’T PASS ME BY
    HONEY DON’T
    GOOD NIGHT
    I WANNA BE YOUR MAN
    MATCHBOX
    OCTOPUS’S GARDEN
    WHAT GOES ON
    WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS
    YELLOW SUBMARINE
    I was only aware of these, not the rest...actually, I'm not sure I heard the rest of them.

Ben Orr was considered to be one of he two primary vocalists in The Cars in the early years, even though the media kept calling everything Ric Ocasik...He sang many of their early hits, including "Just What I Needed", "Bye Bye Love", and "Let's Go", just to name a few that everybody thinks Ocasik sang..........................
    Yup, I always thought of The Carrs as a two lead-singer band
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Noel Redding the bassist of the Jimi Hendrix Experience singing several songs of his one of them being Little Miss Strange on the Axis Bold As Love album. Imo a pretty crappy vocal and
    crappy song the only saving grace was Hendrix's guitar playing.
    I think Hendrix showed remarkable grace letting thoroughly mediocre material like that and Redding's other one 'She's So Fine' get onto the album.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Uriah Heep - Ken Hensley on Lady in Black, High Priestess and Look at Yourself + parts of Paradise / The Spell, The Magician's Birthday, One Way of Another (also featuring main lead vocal by John Wetton) and Firefly.
    I wouldn't say that amount was 'rare' though. However, I think he does sound quite similar to David Byron (albeit with less vibrato), so many casual listeners probably don't realise it's Hensley singing on these tracks. He was the lead singer when he was in The Gods.

On later albums different people sang, such as Trevor Bolder on 'Fear Of Falling'. Not a great song though. One oddity- Mick Box is the longest serving and only original member, but I don't believe he has ever had a lead vocal, despite always providing backing vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I wouldn't say that amount was 'rare' though. However, I think he does sound quite similar to David Byron (albeit with less vibrato), so many casual listeners probably don't realise it's Hensley singing on these tracks. He was the lead singer when he was in The Gods.
    Paradise/The Spell features a bunch of Lee Kerslake on lead

^That's more rare. He sang a bit more later on...I seem to recall he is audible on some of The Gods' records as well, like 'You're My Life'.

Gene Parsons, Byrds drummer for several albums, if I remember correctly, sang lead on only one song and that was "Willin'." In my opinion, the best version of that song.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Gene Parsons, Byrds drummer for several albums, if I remember correctly, sang lead on only one song and that was "Willin'." In my opinion, the best version of that song.
    I remember he wrote "Gunga Din" from Ballad Of Easy Rider. I thought he sang that one too, but maybe not.
    Last edited by pb2015; 08-31-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Ben Orr was one of the two primary vocalists in The Cars in the early years, even though the media kept calling everything Ric Ocasik...
    I didn't know the Cars had two singers until I heard "Drive" as it was the first hit without that nervous singing style they always had.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember he wrote "Gunga Din" from Ballad Of Easy Rider. I thought he sang that one too, but maybe not.
    You are correct, sir. For a moment I thought Clarence sang that, but it was Gene, who has a really nice voice; Clarence being a bit nasally. Find Gene's first solo album Kindling if you can. He sings all the numbers with vocals.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.