Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gene Wilder dead at 83

Gene Wilder dead at 83

What a loss.

Not much else to say...
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP - Thanks for all the laughs.

Loved him in quite a few flicks.

RIP Gene - thanks for some really relentless laughs.

Destiny, destiny....
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

He was a master of timing. Gilda loved him too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He made some masterpieces with Mel Brooks
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just heard this, and went looking for a photo or meme to post, but yeah, there's not much else to say but it's a sad loss. He always seemed to play compassionate characters (overall), and it seemed genuine.

For my first year of junior high his daughter went to my school, and we were in the same art class. One day he visited and walked around the art room looking at what everyone was working on. He seemed very gentle and calm, which was how he often came across in his movie rolls (not always calm - I'm thinking of the weary cowboy in Blazing Saddles, or Wonka when he wasn't manic).

In 1999 he did a couple of detective movies for A&E where he played a detective named Cash Carter. They were pretty good, and worth seeing for fans of detective movies, if you want to see some latter-day Gene Wilder.

"nice...hopping".

RIP Gene Wilder
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He made some masterpieces with Mel Brooks
    I have to say, Mel Brooks' movies haven't aged very well for me. I liked them originally, but they're hard to watch now. But Wilder provided a nice, calm eye within the storm (when he wasn't freaking out). I like him, but it's the characters played by Mostel, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, etc. that just don't seem very funny any more.

I do like the scene in Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (not Brooks, I know) where he's in that guy's drawing room or whatever, and starts eating the chocolates. LOL

Interesting how Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman kind of "borrowed" Mel Brooks' style of movie making for The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, The Last Remake of Beau Geste, The World's Greatest Lover, etc. Don't think I could watch any of those now, but they were good fodder on HBO back in the day.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-29-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Alzheimer's sucks, man.

RIP to a giant.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have to say, Mel Brooks' movies haven't aged very well for me. I liked them originally, but they're hard to watch now. But Wilder provided a nice, calm eye within the storm (when he wasn't freaking out). I like him, but it's the characters played by Mostel, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, etc. that just don't seem very funny any more.

I do like the scene in Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (not Brooks, I know) where he's in that guy's drawing room or whatever, and starts eating the chocolates. LOL

Interesting how Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman kind of "borrowed" Mel Brooks' style of movie making for The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, The Last Remake of Beau Geste, The World's Greatest Lover, etc. Don't think I could watch any of those now, but they were good fodder on HBO back in the day.
    Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein are still masterpieces to me and have held up very well over time, I still love watching them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

That's right, we bad.

(Never saw that whole movie)

If you grew up watching Frankenstein movies, Young Frankenstein was really about the most perfect parody you could ever hope for....

rest in peace, Gene.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wow, this really sucks. Young Frankenstein is one my favorite movies and one of the best comedies(and parodies) ever. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate facotry is great too and while I haven't seen Stir Crazy or Silver Streak in a long time those were also great. RIP to a movie Geneius.

Blazing Saddles. Young Frankenstein. Willy Wonka. Stir Crazy.

Some of the best movies ever.

Thanks Gene. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    RIP to a movie Geneius.

Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein are still masterpieces to me and have held up very well over time, I still love watching them.
    Over all Blazing Saddles is good but I think Young Frankenstein is a bit better. Blazing Saddles has some funny lines and memorable moments but it also has some of the dumbest lines I've heard in a movie(but maybe in some cases that was the point; I don't know).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    If you grew up watching Frankenstein movies, Young Frankenstein was really about the most perfect parody you could ever hope for....

rest in peace, Gene.
    +1. Time to log off and cry.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

According to NBC News, Gene Wilder's nephew says Ella Fitzgerald's 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' played as Wilder took his last breath, and reveals that Wilder died due to complications from Alzheimer’s -- which was kept private until now.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    According to NBC News, Gene Wilder's nephew says Ella Fitzgerald's 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' played as Wilder took his last breath, and reveals that Wilder died due to complications from Alzheimer’s -- which was kept private until now.
    Yes, I just heard that on the telly, making this story even sadder. *Sigh*
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Silver Streak FTW!

An immense talent. RIP
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I bought Blazing Saddles for my son 2 years ago (then 13), he has seen it a million times now.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace to one of my all-time favorite actors. Thanks for all the belly laughs.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973