Thread: Ihsahn - Arktis

Ihsahn - Arktis

Here's a primer for anyone wondering why Ihsahn's music is well regarded. Arktis was my first, hesitant, step - see what I thought:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....n-arktis-2016/

Hi Valen!

Thanks for this...I have several of Ihsahn's most recent releases but not this one as I'd heard somewhat mixed things. Your review will probably convince me to give it a fair shot

You should definitely start working your way backwards...the last couple prior to this one are stellar.

Also...minor factoid: live, Ihsahn's band is basically Leprous, who have albums of their own that are different but also quite progressive and very awesome
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hi Valen!

Thanks for this...I have several of Ihsahn's most recent releases but not this one as I'd heard somewhat mixed things. Your review will probably convince me to give it a fair shot

You should definitely start working your way backwards...the last couple prior to this one are stellar.

Also...minor factoid: live, Ihsahn's band is basically Leprous, who have albums of their own that are different but also quite progressive and very awesome
    That's exactly what I did after hearing Arktis.

Das Seelenbrechen is a bit of a mindf--k but I enjoyed it. Eremita needs a few more spins purely because I've spent much time on the other album.

It was the Leprous connection that drew me to Ihsahn, having been totally blown away seeing them live. What an original band!

I don't think they contribute much to Arktis, being so busy in their own right these days, but if you liked the previous albums, this should be right up your street.

Arktis is quite exciting indeed. And of course Einar can only make it better. guitar riffing is truly epic. if you can go past his vocal style, it's all sounding very fresh.

The whole album can be heard here:

You're welcome

It's very different to his previous stuff - but still very good.

This guy cannot put a foot wrong, IMO.
    Regards,

Duncan

This place has become the "Cheers" of the Internet.
    -- Rushfan

He is definitely treading some new ground on this. I like it, don't love it yet.