Thread: Beat Circus once again!

Beat Circus once again!

Evening Music-ers....

Yes...let's talk Beat Circus. Tonight, with all the right pleasures at my side, I listened to their Cuneiform release 'Boy from Black Mountain' Steve F. Please chime in to help embellish this thread.

First of all this CD SOUNDS terrific. Don't recall how this band/project caught my attention... but when I'm in the mood for some 'Americana' mixed with odd sounding male vocals and often beautiful female voice parts, interesting couplings of chosen instrumentation - and most of all the seriously good compositions, this one gets some player time. I have two other releases from Beat Circus - Dreamland (Cuneiform) and Ringleaders Revolt (NOVA ??). Each are definitely worth exploring!

Perhaps falling in some ways outside the 'usual'....

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Haven't heard the first one, but Dreamland and Boy from Black Mountain are both excellent! I seem to recall seeing on FB recently where they were *finally* recording the third part of their "Weird Americana" trilogy!

...and I had another comment to throw in here - If anyone here was rather pleased with the set and sounds of 2015 Progday band 'Jack O' the Clock' please give Beat Circus a listen. Somewhat of similar cutting from the cloth!

And speaking of Progday... coming soon!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

When they were active and out performing around the time of Boy From Black Mountain, they were an amazing, seven-piece live act. Really deeply musical and tuneful and also really dark and weird!

I got to see them twice.

I would have to check to be specific, but Boy From Black Mountain won some sort of a indie-release, country music award for that year which (a) I'm very proud of and (b) I found really amazing to have happened.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Very happily look forward to the 'third part of their trilogy'! Will this be released on Cuneiform Steve?

Thanks for this thread - this band is completely over (or under?) my radar, and I am a huge fan of 'Jack'.

I've got Dreamland and really like it a lot. The dark cabaret vs. avant-Americana thing must be one helluva concept to pull off. Of course, there's some serious merit involved with this band, not least Brian Carpenter himself, whose name pops up on several wierdo alternative releases I've got laying around the apartment.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I was listening to the latest Brian Carpenter and the Confessions last night! Great stuff!