Thread: I Saw Martin Barre Last Night

I Saw Martin Barre Last Night

I went to see Martin and his guys in Edwardsville, IL, a small Mayberry like town about 20 miles out from St Louis in a renovated art-deco movie theater which was a very intimate venue with excellent sight and sound.
    Simply put, it was a fantastic evening, a great mix of material, all of the players were top notch, a surprise Tull song that i had no idea i would ever witness being performed live and other surprises. It was really fun to hear a lot of familiar Tull songs performed from the guitar player's point of view - it really offered a fresh perspective on songs I've heard hundreds or thousands of times. After over 40 years of being the only guitar player in the band it was really cool to have a 2 guitar attack that was right up there with Thin Lizzy or Wishbone Ash. I should also mention singer/guitar player Dan Crisp, not only is he a great musician who can hold his own with Martin but his vocals are top notch whether belting out blues or covering older Tull material (i actually prefer him to Ryan O'Donnell who i liked very well).

After the show the band assembled at the merch table to graciously sign whatever people had with them. I had him sign the Back To Steel cd i had picked up and mentioned how i was floored by the suprise song (sorry, not going to spoil it for anyone) in which he said this was the first time they had performed this live and figured there had to be at least one person who would appreciated it, This ended up being a sold out show (about 350) and he heavily emphasized wanting to be invited back and how much they enjoyed being here, i think he was truly sincere.

Having seen the post-Martin version of Ian/Tull a few times (The TAAB 1 & 2 show being the best) i can say there has been something really missing and last night's performance proved just what it was.
    Last edited by progholio; 08-28-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Glad you enjoyed the show. I saw him March of last year and was more then pleasantly surprised. Just found out that he's coming back to the same venue next year! The man turns 70 in November and still has the fire of someone half his age!

Fantastic! I am glad that you enjoyed the show so much. I enjoyed his Philly show from last Spring a lot too.

Thanks for the review. I really wish he would come around my neck of the woods.

Good to hear, thanks.

Thanks for the review. I may see him when he's in DC area this fall. Cant seem to find that setlist anywhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I may see him when he's in DC area this fall. Cant seem to find that setlist anywhere....
    We had really good seats and stuck around hoping to get a setlist, the crew swiftly pulled them all up and took them backstage. Apparently they want to keep that stuff under wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    We had really good seats and stuck around hoping to get a setlist, the crew swiftly pulled them all up and took them backstage. Apparently they want to keep that stuff under wraps.
    Surprised noone posted on setlist fm yet. Was the setlist significantly different than the spring tour? http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/martin...-43f1e313.html

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Surprised noone posted on setlist fm yet. Was the setlist significantly different than the spring tour? http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/martin...-43f1e313.html
    Very similar list with a few differences, we didn't have the P-Tree cover (that would have been very cool) but the other changes more than made up for it. The nice thing is if you've been to one of his shows then you won't be getting the same thing all over again. I went into this show with a blank slate, was not expecting Eleanor Rigby, which was a very nice interpretation. Never thought i would hear that song performed live twice within a couple of weeks (the other one being the "real deal" by Sir Paul).

If Martin wanted to make a this a permanent career re-interpreting obsure Tull songs, well selected covers and fresh new material this could go on for years. That would suit me just fine.

Appreciate the info, thanks again

I saw Martin & Co. last night here in Ithaca. Once again they brought down the house. Over 2 hours of "Tull Rock and Blues" as the posters said, played with total dedication and passion to about 100 rapturous fans in a small sweaty club. If anything they were better than when I saw them last year, at another small sweaty club.

One thing I'm amazed and pleased about is how much Martin seems to enjoy playing in such low key and intimate settings. Last time I saw him with Tull he played to 5000. Now he's playing to 2% of that number and he seems as happy as a pig in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    One thing I'm amazed and pleased about is how much Martin seems to enjoy playing in such low key and intimate settings. Last time I saw him with Tull he played to 5000. Now he's playing to 2% of that number and he seems as happy as a pig in the mud.
    He also finally gets a chance to be the guy at the mike giving between-song banter. It's understandable that that wasn't his job before, but I loved hearing how warm and funny he could he when he gets the chance.