Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Geesin

Ron Geesin

This thread has a purpose and that is mainly reaching out to fans of Ron Geesin. I seldom meet anyone in the flesh who IS a fan unfortunately. I would be interested in other people's opinions and any if all detailed insight on him as a composer. Here is a short list of what I have on CD.

RonCycle 1
    Land Of Mist
    Hystery.....The Ron Geesin Story
    Right Through And Beyond
    A Raise Of Eyebrows/As He Stands
    Music From The Body

The BBC double disc seems to still be available. I have never been able to locate any of his back catalog short of what is featured on the list. A few years ago I sent him a hand written letter of appreciation. A few weeks later I recieved a package from him which included RonCycle 1 and Right Through And Beyond autographed and a handwritten letter from him. I haven't conversed with Ron Geesin regarding why his cd's are not available. Please offer any information you have and I would greatly appreciated opinions on CD releases in the last 20 years that are missing from the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Right Through And Beyond
    Music From The Body
    This is what I heard from my library systyem.... the dude is wacko, very strange stuff.

symphonic AHM directed Ron Geesin himself (from the piano)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...3677&FORM=VIRE
    Last edited by Trane; 08-28-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This is what I heard from my library systyem.... the dude is wacko, very strange stuff.

symphonic AHM directed Ron Geesin himself (from the piano)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...3677&FORM=VIRE
    Thanks for this post.

Pete Townshend said that he was a terrorist. Ron Geesin was outstanding at writing for T.V. commercials, Wildlife programs, a horror T.V. series...etc, etc. His diversity to play a variety of instruments was somewhat shocking to me when I first heard him. He composed for string quartet and experimented with unorthodox recording techniques. Some of his albums are not spaced between music and dialog....but totally instrumental and they are impressionable in a haunting way.

At one point in time Roger Waters and Ron Geesin shared a common interest in American 20th century Avant-Garde composers and they were also listening to some of the American Electronic Music of the 60's. The observation is at hand when observing that the oscillating synthesizer pattern in "On The Run" is exacting to Mort Garson 's "Leave The Driving To Us". "Several Small Species Gathered Together ....is actually a "take" one on Ron Geesin 's ideas.

This was an Avant-Garde approach to composition more so than a drug induced track on Ummagumma. There really wasn't anything Psychedelic about it at all. The concept when creating this strange piece revolved around the sound produced by the small furry animals and that being the presentation which produced a hollow reverb effect at the end of each noise, giving a listener the impression that they were inside a cave.This idea was adapted from Ron Geesin 's library of sounds and ideas . On Music from The Body.... several instrumental passages which fall between the Roger Waters songs are exactly like Electronic Soundscapes , but on acoustic instruments with a vibration echo , pulsating spasmodically into concrete cave Basel order.

In my youth I was a Floyd fanatic & needed to have all things connected with Floyd. I scooped up "Music from The Body" when I saw Waters' name connected with it. I next scooped up "As He Stands" because Geesin was connected with Floyd. Also on that album he has a song with Roger Waters' name in the title. Anyway, I wrote to Mr. Geesin to ask him how I could contact Waters. Mr. Geesin kindly wrote back & offered his observation that Roger's ideas were very interesting, but did not provide his address.

I still have both LPs, & probably the letter, somewhere in my attic. His recordings satisfy only one itch: novelty. For me, that doesn't hold up much over time. Sorry, Ron.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    In my youth I was a Floyd fanatic & needed to have all things connected with Floyd. I scooped up "Music from The Body" when I saw Waters' name connected with it. I next scooped up "As He Stands" because Geesin was connected with Floyd. Also on that album he has a song with Roger Waters' name in the title. Anyway, I wrote to Mr. Geesin to ask him how I could contact Waters. Mr. Geesin kindly wrote back & offered his observation that Roger's ideas were very interesting, but did not provide his address.

I still have both LPs, & probably the letter, somewhere in my attic. His recordings satisfy only one itch: novelty. For me, that doesn't hold up much over time. Sorry, Ron.
    Interesting story....

I have these two- A Raise Of Eyebrows/As He Stands , Music From The Body , and also the BBC
    Definately underappreciated, thanks for reminding me as I didnt hear these for a long time and remember I liked them very much.

I just listened to 'Land of Mist' yesterday- posted about 'Music From The Body' on FB too. Excellent idea for a thread. Love his work

So...the BBC is a must? I've been wanting to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have these two- A Raise Of Eyebrows/As He Stands , Music From The Body , and also the BBC
    Definately underappreciated, thanks for reminding me as I didnt hear these for a long time and remember I liked them very much.
    Ditto here... will have to revisit someday
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Here is a short list of what I have on CD.
    RonCycle 1
    Land Of Mist
    Hystery.....The Ron Geesin Story
    Right Through And Beyond
    Music From The Body
    Bit of a Geesin fan here. Here is a short list of what I have:
    • A Raise of Eyebrows (1967)
    • Music From The Body (1970)
    • Electrosound (1972)
    • As He Stands (1973)
    • Patruns (1975)
    • Right Through (1977)
    • Funny Frown (1991)
    • Bluefuse (1993)
    • Hystery (1994)
    • Land of Mist (1995)
    • Biting The Hand (2008) (the BBC sessions)
    • RonCycle1 (2011)
    • Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother - The Ultimate Critical Review (2005) DVD, in which he is interviewed extensively about his involvement with AHM
    • The Flaming Cow: The Making of AHM (2013) Ron's book on his involvement with AHM
    • Samla Mammas Manna & Ron Geesin: Live Tonkraft 1975 (2013) (Swedish Radio broadcast - and an inspired pairing)
    Known to be missing from my collection:
    • Electrosound Vol.2 (1975) (library music)
    • Atmospheres (1977) (")
    • Magnificent Machines (1988) (")

He also appears on Morgan Fisher's Miniatures. Personally, I think he's a musical GENIUS -- although he's certainly not a normal rock musician if that's what you're expecting. He's more of the classic 'English eccentric' along the lines of Stanley Unwin, Ivor Cutler, Lord Buckley or Vivian Stanshall. I'd rank "Patruns" as his best album, if only because it is focused and understandable. He does tend to go off in all directions, like a teakettle with no whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid
    A few years ago I sent him a hand written letter of appreciation. A few weeks later I received a package from him which included RonCycle 1 and Right Through And Beyond autographed and a handwritten letter from him.
    I did the same -- and got back almost exactly the same. He's very approachable.
    www.rongeesin.com
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=VDFSRV
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-29-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Another big fan here, and I've gotten replies to my email questions in the past when I ordered some albums directly from him.

I have:

Music From The Body
    Raise of Eyebrows/As He Stands
    Right Through (And Beyond)
    Funny Frown
    Blue Fuse
    Biting the Hand (BBC Recordings)
    Land of Mist
    Hystery

Also an album he produced by Bridget St. John, Songs for the Gentle Man, and of course Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd.

That BBC album is quite good, especially disc two.

I guess I need to spin it again. I haven't spent much time with it.

Ah, forgot about that Critical Review of Atom Heart Mother DVD; I bought that after emailing him for more information on it (mainly if he got much screen time). Glad I got it just for the interview parts with him. Well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Also an album he produced by Bridget St. John, Songs for the Gentle Man, and of course Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd.
    I have that Bridget St. John album, too. I bought it because of Geesin’s name. Kept it because it was absolutely unique in my collection. Bridget really has an exceptional voice, an extremely rich alto. Geesin is credited with “celestial organ” on her version of John & Beverly Martin’s “Back to Stay.”

This was an Avant-Garde approach to composition more so than a drug induced track on Ummagumma. There really wasn't anything Psychedelic about it at all. The concept when creating this strange piece revolved around the sound produced by the small furry animals and that being the presentation which produced a hollow reverb effect at the end of each noise, giving a listener the impression that they were inside a cave.This idea was adapted from Ron Geesin 's library of sounds and ideas .
    It always irks me that people always write off any idea slightly left-of-center as being the result of drugs. It devalues the creative process, shows that the speaker is ignorant of how the creative process works, and overrates the value of drugs as a creative aid (usually in an attempt at rationalizing the speaker’s own recreational drug use).

[steps off of soapbox]
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have that Bridget St. John album, too. I bought it because of Geesin’s name. Kept it because it was absolutely unique in my collection. Bridget really has an exceptional voice, an extremely rich alto. Geesin is credited with “celestial organ” on her version of John & Beverly Martin’s “Back to Stay.”

It always irks me that people always write off any idea slightly left-of-center as being the result of drugs. It devalues the creative process, shows that the speaker is ignorant of how the creative process works, and overrates the value of drugs as a creative aid (usually in an attempt at rationalizing the speaker’s own recreational drug use).

[steps off of soapbox]
    Fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bit of a Geesin fan here. Here is a short list of what I have:
    • A Raise of Eyebrows (1967)
    • Music From The Body (1970)
    • Electrosound (1972)
    • As He Stands (1973)
    • Patruns (1975)
    • Right Through (1977)
    • Funny Frown (1991)
    • Bluefuse (1993)
    • Hystery (1994)
    • Land of Mist (1995)
    • Biting The Hand (2008) (the BBC sessions)
    • RonCycle1 (2011)
    • Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother - The Ultimate Critical Review (2005) DVD, in which he is interviewed extensively about his involvement with AHM
    • The Flaming Cow: The Making of AHM (2013) Ron's book on his involvement with AHM
    • Samla Mammas Manna & Ron Geesin: Live Tonkraft 1975 (2013) (Swedish Radio broadcast - and an inspired pairing)
    Known to be missing from my collection:
    • Electrosound Vol.2 (1975) (library music)
    • Atmospheres (1977) (")
    • Magnificent Machines (1988) (")

He also appears on Morgan Fisher's Miniatures. Personally, I think he's a musical GENIUS -- although he's certainly not a normal rock musician if that's what you're expecting. He's more of the classic 'English eccentric' along the lines of Stanley Unwin, Ivor Cutler, Lord Buckley or Vivian Stanshall. I'd rank "Patruns" as his best album, if only because it is focused and understandable. He does tend to go off in all directions, like a teakettle with no whistler.

I did the same -- and got back almost exactly the same. He's very approachable.
    www.rongeesin.com
    Do you have all of these on CD??

Another big fan here, and I've gotten replies to my email questions in the past when I ordered some albums directly from him.

I have:

Music From The Body
    Raise of Eyebrows/As He Stands
    Right Through (And Beyond)
    Funny Frown
    Blue Fuse
    Biting the Hand (BBC Recordings)
    Land of Mist
    Hystery

That BBC album is quite good, especially disc two.
    Funny Frown is difficult to find.

I really enjoyed his video about blackbirds. I'm having trouble posting it. I'm sure everyone has seen it. Isn't that the same house he lived in when he released As He Stands? The photo shots of Ron Geesin sitting on a fence and in particular the backyard look to be the same place years later on the blackbird vid.

"Funny Frown" is, in my opinion, one of his weakest releases. His digital keyboard sounds are not to my liking (I bought "Roncycle I" and immediately got rid of it). I imagine you could order it directly from Ron (headscope.co.uk/cds), though I haven't looked there lately.

"Funny Frown" is, in my opinion, one of his weakest releases. His digital keyboard sounds are not to my liking (I bought "Roncycle I" and immediately got rid of it). I imagine you could order it directly from Ron (headscope.co.uk/cds), though I haven't looked there lately.
    Interesting and I'm going to keep that in mind. Only heard a few tracks from Funny Frown and have yet to check YT for posting of the music.

Do you have all of these on CD??
    Yes. Or CD-R, in the cases of the ones I made myself from LPs.

I really enjoyed his video about blackbirds. I'm having trouble posting it.
    https://youtu.be/SHbO6l03ArI