Thread: Gyorgy Ligeti - "Mysteries of the Macrebe" featuring Barbara Hannigan & LSO

Gyorgy Ligeti - "Mysteries of the Macrebe" featuring Barbara Hannigan & LSO

I'm more attracted to his 'ambient' works, but he did quite a variety of other modern styles. Almost bordering on a 'pop' style here. AMAZING performance !!

(And she knows Ligeti !! I'm in love now !! )

Classical music could use more of these types of performances. Almost every concert I've been to is attended by 80 percent senior citizens. Several of them nodding off during the performances. Ms. Hannigan would keep them awake!

Thanks for posting that. Very enjoyable. Similar vibe to some Zappa, with its mixture of complex music, theatricality and humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Classical music could use more of these types of performances. Almost every concert I've been to is attended by 80 percent senior citizens. Several of them nodding off during the performances. Ms. Hannigan would keep them awake!
    Speaking of "senior citizens" and Ligeti, I've twice now seen Ligeti's music performed live. The first time was the Violin Concerto, after which I heard an elderly woman complain that "They could have thrown away the sheet music and it would have sounded exactly the same!".

LOL.
    HAve you seen the sheet music for the violin concerto? I have.
    She's wrong.

A pretty common attitude, amongst those who want to hear their "tunes."
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

A prized possession:

Ligeti.jpg
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    LOL.
    HAve you seen the sheet music for the violin concerto? I have.
    She's wrong.

A pretty common attitude, amongst those who want to hear their "tunes."
    I've never seen the score for the violin concerto, but I can tell it has to be a pretty tightly scored piece, given that there's unison passages and such.

And yes, I know, there's apparently a lot of people who attend classical music concerts who look down their nose at "contemporary" music.

Interestingly enough, a couple years later, the Cleveland Orchestra performed Ligeti's piano concerto. This time, I was up in the balcony, and it was hard to not notice the two guys (much younger this time) in the row in front of me squirming around in their seats, as if the dentist forgot the novacaine before getting out the drill. It was almost as enjoyable as the music itself. And they were only doing this during the Ligeti, they seemed to like the other music much better.

I just think it's funny that, given the fact that the setlists are published months in advance, and presumably these people attend concerts at Severance Hall on a regular basis, they would put some effort to finding out what's going to be played on a given night, make an attempt to hear the music ahead of time, and then they can vote for whether or not they actually want to sit through it.

Even if one had subscription tickets or whatever and this was one of the concerts that was part of the package deal, you can still arrange to not be in the hall for whichever contemporary piece you've decided you don't want to sit through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A prized possession:

Ligeti.jpg
    You actually got to meet him, or do you arrange for someone else to retrieve the autograph for you?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You actually got to meet him, or do you arrange for someone else to retrieve the autograph for you?
    I met him at a concert.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Speaking of "senior citizens" and Ligeti, I've twice now seen Ligeti's music performed live. The first time was the Violin Concerto, after which I heard an elderly woman complain that "They could have thrown away the sheet music and it would have sounded exactly the same!".
    I've listened to the Ligeti violin concerto many, many times. It's an astonishingly beautiful and inventive piece of music. Actually, five great pieces in one. But I guess some folks just want to keep hearing Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn. I like those too, but Ligeti is beautiful to my ears. I have three recordings, and Christina Astrand's performance with the Danish Radio Symphony is my favorite.

One of the Ligeti compositions that mesmerized me on first(and many subsequent),listens.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide