Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands with three lead singers

Bands with three lead singers

What bands can you name that had three different members singing lead on a consistent, album-to-album basis?

Three I can think of are

The Monkees (Mike Nesmith, Davy Jones, Mickey Dolenz)

early Humble Pie (Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton, Greg Ridley)

70's Chicago (Terry Kath, Robert Lamm, Peter Cetera)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Fairport Convention (Sandy Denny, R Thompson, Dave Swarbrick, later Simon Nicol, RT, Swarb)

Steeleye Span (Maddy Prior, Bob Johnson, Tim Hart, Rick Kemp)

Styx (Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, James Young)

Did PFM or Procul Harem have more than 2?

Crosby, Stills and Nash...4 if you include Young too!

Queen...Freddie Mercury handled most, Roger Taylor had quite a few in the 70s. Brian May's sang lead vocals at least once on most of their 70s albums, and has lead parts on 'Who Wants To Live Forever' and 'I Want It All'.

The Bee Gees...Barry and Robin Gibb did all the hits, but Maurice had lead vocals on several albums too.

Airplane - Balin, Kantner & Slick (Anderson)
    Magic Pie (1st 2 albums - Alan Olson, Eirik Hanssen, Gilbert Marshall) only 2 now
    Early Dead (Garcia, Weir & Pigpen)
    Bangles (Hoffs, Michael Steele (not the RNC guy), Peterson sister that played guitar (not drummer sister)

More if I think of them
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Moody Blues- most of their albums have leads from Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Ray Thomas. From 1967-72 there was a fourth lead vocalist in Mike Pinder....I don't remember if there was a lead from him on Octave, his last.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Did PFM or Procul Harem have more than 2?
    Procol Harum basically has the one in Gary Brooker. Robin Trower had a couple of leads like 'Crucifixion Lane' and 'Song For A Dreamer', but he was only on the first five. Don't remember anyone else getting any.

DUH! The Liverpudlians (Lennon, McC & Ringo)
    Early Stones (Jagger, Richards & Jones)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

^A fourth including George Harrison, who sang a lead on every album.

There's no lead vocals from Brian Jones, I could barely identify any notable backing vocals from him either. Bill Wyman had one lead, 'In Another Land', but that was more or less it. I think Keith's first was 'Connection', before that I don't think he had any.

The Beach Boys had the three Wilson brothers, Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Mike Johnston.

I think on one or two albums from the late 60s/early 70s they may have had 5 different lead singers on a record

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Procol Harum basically has the one in Gary Brooker. Robin Trower had a couple of leads like 'Crucifixion Lane' and 'Song For A Dreamer', but he was only on the first five. Don't remember anyone else getting any.
    Fisher sings "In the Autumn of My Madness", but I'm not sure if there's anything else.

Moon Safari has 5 different people who have sung lead for at least a section of a song even though Petter S. & Simon A. do almost all the lead singing.

Gentle Giant
    The Beatles

I can't really think of any others off the top of my head. Maybe Kiss?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    DUH! The Liverpudlians (Lennon, McC & Ringo)
    Early Stones (Jagger, Richards & Jones)
    I would say John, Paul and George. Ringo didn't sing as much as the others afaik.

I thought the Stones was mostly Mick singing. I don't think Keith sang much lead(same for Brian). I could be wrong though but even most early Stones songs seem to be mostly Mick.

Argent - Argent, Ballard & Rodford

Did Laing or Knight ever sing a Mountain lead?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    What bands can you name that had three different members singing lead on a consistent, album-to-album basis?

The Band (Manuel, Danko, Helm)

I suppose ABBA count; although Bjorn only had one hit single with his lead vocals- 'Does Your Mother Know'- he had a lead vocal on several of their albums.

Fleetwood Mac, of course, count right from the days where they had Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan- then when Bob Welch and Christine McVie joined. In their mid-late 70s pomp Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie all had massive hits with their lead vocals.

Then there's The Who...most of their albums featured leads from Daltrey, Townshend and Entwistle.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Byrds
    You could also throw Cream in there if you allowed Baker's vocals to be called singing.

How did I forget one of my 3 favorite bands (The Who)? Oh yeah, I'm old.

Can't Buy A Thrill by Steely Dan had Fagen, Palmer & Hodder. Then things changed a bit.

The Alan Parson's Project had more than three people singing lead but I don't know how many of them were consistent.

Pink Floyd
    Amon Düül II
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The Byrds
    You could also throw Cream in there if you allowed Baker's vocals to be called singing.
    No I would not!

But yes, 'Blue Condition' and 'Pressed Rat And Warthog' contain Baker leads...he speaks the latter rather than sings. I think he's singing on 'Mother's Lament' too, alongside the other two.

Barclay James Harvest from the late 60s through to 1978 had regular leads from John Lees, Les Holroyd and Stuart 'Woolly' Wolstenholme. The latter then left, taking it down to two.

Spliff
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    CSN&Y

Maybe FZ/Mothers during the Flo/Eddie years, as well as the 73-74 band if you count Duke, Nappy, and FZ all sharing lead vox at various times?

For that matter, you can include later bands with Bobby Martin, Ike, Ray White, and FZ again.