Thread: New Jon Davison Interview

New Jon Davison Interview

http://www.technologytell.com/entert...r-jon-davison/

Here's one spoiler, I won't spoil you with any more!

Entertainmenttell.com: Will Yes be recording a new studio album in the near future? If so, will you be involved in the songwriting process?

Davison: There will certainly be a new Yes album. Chris and I have already looked at some promising ideas. Currently the main focus seems to be each member solidifying any personal ideas that will then be brought to the collective table in the near future.
    Last edited by ItalProgRules; 01-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

But if I'm reading the latest dispatches from GH Central correctly, it now looks like Carl Groves will be handling the vox on Cruise to the Edge instead of Jon...

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    But if I'm reading the latest dispatches from GH Central correctly, it now looks like Carl Groves will be handling the vox on Cruise to the Edge instead of Jon...
    *Another* singer??

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    *Another* singer??
    Whoops, I meant the vocals for Glass Hammer, not YES.

Ah right, got you. Sorry!

Here's the whole FB blurb:

Looks like Carl Groves will be rejoining Glass Hammer for CTTE and hopefully one Chattanooga show to celebrate Glass Hammer's 20th Anniversary.

I'd imagine JD sharing time with GH and Yes works as long as the former is primarily a studio band. Although I failed to fully appreciate Culture of Ascent when it first came out (I was a big Walter Moore fan) I have come to like it a lot over the years, so having Carl Groves back for a few shows ought to be terrific. Wonder if he will have any further involvement (Salem Hill seems quiet these days).

I must say that although there has been the occassional mis-step (Brad Marler not my cup of tea), GH have had really good vocalists over the years.

I would imagine that singing for Yes is pretty hard on the voice. Just because you're able to hit those notes doesn't mean it's easy and not wearing on the throat - unless your name is Jon Anderson and your voice is actually way up in that freakish register. So Davidson's first priority would have to be resting his vocal cords for the Yes shows. I'm guessing that he might be planning to appear with GH as well - but they need a back-up plan in case he starts feeling strained, and Groves is it.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    (Brad Marler not my cup of tea), GH have had really good vocalists over the years.
    Marler kind of grates on my ears on "Empty Space/Revealer" but as CHRONOMETREE goes on, I actually kind of like his vocals. The Radiohead-esque vox on "A Perfect Carousel" really get me. The song probably goes on a minute and a half longer than it needs to, but I do like the vox on that one.

That said, I'm not sorry his tenure came to an end. What worked, for me, on one album probably wouldn't have played well in the long run.

Marler kind of grates on my ears on "Empty Space/Revealer" but as CHRONOMETREE goes on, I actually kind of like his vocals. The Radiohead-esque vox on "A Perfect Carousel" really get me. The song probably goes on a minute and a half longer than it needs to, but I do like the vox on that one.

That said, I'm not sorry his tenure came to an end. What worked, for me, on one album probably wouldn't have played well in the long run.
    I don't understand why anyone told that guy that he can sing. He's horrible.

Like, William Hung horrible.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nice interview with Jon, thanks for posting ItalProgRules! He comes across as a very genuine kind-of guy, a true lover of Yes and very happy to be in the position to be able to continue to present the music to its fans. I find nothing wrong with that and look forward to his presentation of the music in April.

And, yes, it caanot be an easy gig but he seems to be taking the right attitude/approach to it and I'm sure having the wifey with him helps... .

Peace,
    Alex

From comments by the band on their Facebook page, it appears Groves may substitute for Davison at one gig with Davison otherwise engaged (presumably with Yes stuff?), that they'd both being doing the cruise and that Davison absolutely remains the lead singer of Glass Hammer in general.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I wouldnt doubt if theres something in his contract that states he sing exclusively with YES, esp. since it is such a long demanding tour.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    I wouldnt doubt if theres something in his contract that states he sing exclusively with YES, esp. since it is such a long demanding tour.
    Fred Schendel in another thread here has said that Yes have first call on Davison at all times, but was also very, very clear that Davison remains in Glass Hammer too and they are confident they can work around Yes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Fred Schendel in another thread here has said that Yes have first call on Davison at all times, but was also very, very clear that Davison remains in Glass Hammer too and they are confident they can work around Yes.

Henry
    Fred is amazingly reasonable here. Smart too. I love his music and his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Fred is amazingly reasonable here. Smart too. I love his music and his attitude.
    Indeed he is. Also remember that GH, as far as I can see, are primarily a studio band - how many shows have they done in the last 5 years, maybe 3? Yes, on the other hand, seem to be a touring machine. I don't think it would be possible to be in two bands that tour extensively, but when one is primarily in the studo it is doable I'd think. So, it makes sense to have Yes have first dibs. Plus Fred and Steve are the primary (exclusive?) writers, so it is not even that JD has to 'allocate' material to GH. Frankly, I'm happy to see that Carl Groves is willing to pitch in - I'd love to see Walter Moore back with them again too, even if in a limited capacity.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the sentiments! I'm really here to be a part of the PE community and try to keep my nose out of GH talk really, unless there's a very specific contribution I can make... but I'd say the thinking in the thread is pretty on target Re. gigging, we have our little bursts of activity every few years and right now we're actively looking to do what we can and get out and play. But that will certainly be very limited when compared to Yes. The beauty of the band is that it does morph to fit any given situation *lol But we want to present the "core" band of the last few years + Carl wherever possible.