Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw Black Sabbath last night

Have read some reviews that say Rivals Sons blew them off stage!

I doubt that.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Remember that reviews these days are written by people too young to have been alive during Sabbath's heyday, and who never look up from their smart phone screens to see what is happening on the stage, unless the stage is the background in their latest selfie. I have nothing against the Rival Sons, but I have not seen them in concert. I have seen Black Sabbath, and they are one of the greatest metal bands of all time.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Ozzy's voice went long, long ago...but yeah. Rufus will always come out with these unattributed 'reviews' or 'polls'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    they didn't "blow them off stage" at the Virginia show that I went to....What they were was one of the most excellent opening bands Ive heard ( and, as a sidenote, I am now a fan of RS as a byproduct). Granted, Im a working musician so I dont go to nearly as many concerts as many of you, but Ive been to (and performed in) plenty ovrer the decades.

Part of it had to do with the fact their music is an excellent compliment to Sabbaths (common thread: blues --- especially Rival Sons has a few songs with those dirge-y heavy "blues scale/ minor pentatonic" phat riffs in them) without sounding anything like the headliner...The genius that paired these two together should be given a raise.......but Ill reiterate what I said earlier: Ozzy started singing flat halfway through their set, but this is the first time in my life that I have ever heard a singer go flat and the band still pull it out.......It really was an excellent show. If someone wants to make the argument that Sabbath had more PA and lights going than RS, fine, but more or less PA and lights wouldnt have made the difference in the decades of professional experience that BS had that showed that night

thats my review
    Last edited by klothos; 09-03-2016 at 03:01 PM.

I was lucky enough to see Iron Maiden on their first US tour right after "Killers" came out. We were all big fans at the time, when most had never heard of them Stateside. They were the first of three bands with Judas Priest as the headliner and the Joe Perry Project being second on the bill. Iron Maiden opened and played only 30 minutes. They were fucking fantastic to those of us who knew their music. The review in the following day's paper made one comment about them, stating that they were "proof that the loud can also be boring."

So much for concert reviews.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Last night was one of the best shows I've ever seen. They absolutely killed it. The crowd was in a tizzy all night. Singing the words, singing the riffs ...

Ozzy sang so well it was astonishing. He was really getting up there, and through most of the show was clear, right on the money in his pitch and just remarkable in his delivery. Whatever challenges he has faced in recent years (and there have been some truly awful performances by him), he is coming down the stretch so strong it is not to be believed. I'd say last night was one of the best vocal performances I've maybe ever witnessed. He was a little rough around the edges during a section here or there, but the performance he gave last night would make any 25 year old proud. And it further established that the high-pitched, shouting from the mountain top style he has honed is really his own. The guy sounds like nobody. Never has. All the bullshit that has surrounded his "celebrity" was irrelevant last night. He brought it. And I mean he BROUGHT it.

Tony was just too much and had the crowd worshipping his sound and abilities all night. Geezer played very well but seemed maybe just a touch tired. I've seen him play better.

Tommy Clufetos is a simply amazing drummer. In our group that went, my friend (who is more a jazz fusion fan but does like Sabbath and some other old school rock) told me after the show that during the drum solo he was thinking; "Jon Hisemann ... look out."

Sadly, for me, I just don't think Clufetos is capable of playing with the feel and touch of Bill Ward. I admire him so much and he really tries to get the stuff right, but there are moves in the songs that require jazz touch. And that's not a touch he can really bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Rival Sons are one of the best straight up rock n roll bands out there right now. They are carrying the torch for rock n roll with a younger generation. Their albums are well worth checking out.
    Rival Sons are a very good band. I first saw them when they supported Black Stone Cherry in @2008 or '09 and I've seen them many times since.

Like BSC I think they are more popular here in the UK than they are in their homeland.

As for Sabbath, I think this will be the last tour. When I saw them @ Download this summer it was very much Geezer and Tony who held it all together. Ozzy looked finished to me and yet, ironically, he is the one who says he is carrying on.