Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Black Sabbath last night

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I recently listened to "13" for the first time in quite a while and I was really knocked out at how damn good it is. I thought it was a good album in 2013 too, but after giving it a break and coming back to it, was just a real pleasure. Sabbath certainly ended their recording career on a high note, IMO.
    +1. It is a good album to rap up their career.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    also, the girl to my right in the photo, whos head you see, had some ginormous boobs in a very skimpy top.......this also made the show very pleasurable ...no, i didnt get pics
    You must be a real muso then. A 'want to be' would have snapped up those boobs instead of being mesmerized by Iommi's finger placement.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    You must be a real muso then. A 'want to be' would have snapped up those boobs instead of being mesmerized by Iommi's finger placement.
    my wife was on the left

my wife was on the left
    Enough said!

I have some friends who got to the show in Minneapolis this winter. They had some quibbles about the set list and the drum solo but felt the band was in full kick ass mode. There were however many jokes about Ozzy's usual stage patter but hey, that's Ozzy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    The guy on the left in the photo, with the Lamb of God t-shirt, at first glance I thought he might be wearing a Morglbl t-shirt (I know, fat chance).
    Well, I saw a guy wearing a Mastodon t shirt. One guy I talked to mentioned the band Motorpsycho after I mentioned Porcupine Tree to him. That's as close as you will get though. I am sure there were plenty of prog fans in attendance but none had the kahuni's to wear their prog t shirts(except me with my RUSH t shirt ).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well, I saw a guy wearing a Mastodon t shirt. One guy I talked to mentioned the band Motorpsycho after I mentioned Porcupine Tree to him. That's as close as you will get though. I am sure there were plenty of prog fans in attendance but none had the kahuni's to wear their prog t shirts(except me with my RUSH t shirt ).
    there were a couple guys in Rush T-shirts I saw in Virginia

there were a couple guys in Rush T-shirts I saw in Virginia
    I believe it but where I went I was the only one. Maybe it's because I didn't walk around enough looking at everyone's t shirt. I saw some AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and all the other kinds of bands you would expect to see. I actually even saw one guy wearing a Woodstock t shirt(presumably because of the anniversary).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I was also at the Camden show and except for the horribly shitty drum solo, it was an awesome show!
    Curious to know who's drumming for them? I thought they had Rage's old drummer but i'm probably way out of the loop.

Was the guy that shitty of a drummer or are drum solos just not your thing?

Either way sounds like a great tour.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Curious to know who's drumming for them? I thought they had Rage's old drummer but i'm probably way out of the loop.

Was the guy that shitty of a drummer or are drum solos just not your thing?

Either way sounds like a great tour.
    Judge for yourself.

Ozzy sounds dreadful :-(

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I thought they had Rage's old drummer but i'm probably way out of the loop.
    Brad Wilk drummed on 13. He's still with RATM.

Isn't dread what their music(and metal in general) was all about?

I was at the Holmdell, NJ show last night. Excellent concert. The band sounded great. Same set list as other nights. I saw a few Rush shirts, too. I noticed a ton of these "rocker chicks." I really doubt that they dress that way normally, though. I bought the tour only CD for $30 as well. I just want to give everyone the heads up that people are selling it on Ebay for half that.

Library Jon

What makes them rocker chicks? Were their asses sticking out of their shorts or something? :P

Tattoos, nose rings, tight clothes, colored hair, etc.

Library Jon

Always been chicks at Sabbath concerts. Well, especially when Ozzy has been in the band ...

Love 70s Sabbath!

I remember watching that Don Kirchners episode in my "That 70s Show" basement, with my mom

......and I recorded it on a Pioneer cassette radio in front of the tiny Sony Trinitron speaker!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Ozzy sounds dreadful :-(
    I didn't watch the clip, but he's actually been singing so well that reports have been almost exclusively positive. I've seen it suggested by somebody on a Sabbath forum that he may have had some type of hearing surgery, as the off-key singing that has plagued him in recent years on occasion seems to be very much improved.

But yeah, I'm not going expecting him to be singing he was in 1974.

Maybe it was an off night. Some friends of mine saw them in the late 90s and went to 2 gigs in row. The first night Ozzy was terrible and the next(a few days later) he was brilliant.
    Of course he often blows his voice yelling at the audience.

I remember staying up late on a friday night against my parent's wishes when Sabbath debuted on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I was 14 and was utterly mesmerized. Remember, this was a time when there was internet or even VCRs. Long before you could go to Google and find Ozzie's shoe size.So this was a BIG event. The first time many of us got to see our mysterious heroes.
    My Mother kept yelling down every 5 minutes or so to turn the TV off and go to bed, but I persevered and watched the whole thing.
    That Monday at school my friends and I discussed it endlessly - what did Tony say to Ozzie when he cryptically shouted in his ear and such. I'm sure Tony was probably cracking a joke, but we thought maybe he was relaying the secret of the universe or something.
    It's kind of sad that the mystique has vanished from rock music. I'm glad I got to experience it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Always been chicks at Sabbath concerts. Well, especially when Ozzy has been in the band ...
    That was great, thanks! What kind of bass is Geezer playing there?

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    That was great, thanks! What kind of bass is Geezer playing there?
    It's a John Birch custom 8-string. His tone is insane. On the finale of "War Pigs" you can feel the earth moving when he hits some of those fills.

Why Greg Lake and John Paul Jones ended up going with the 8-string tones they did when this was possible ... I don't know ... but maybe Birch was the key to developing a sound which wasn't so obvious and toppy.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gee...tring.1135413/

I didn't watch the clip, but he's actually been singing so well that reports have been almost exclusively positive.
    Well, let's face it. Expectations have been pretty low over the last decade or so.

That being said, I've seen him at his best and worst. I do think he can still bring it. But, to your point, it ain't 1974 anymore.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Many believe Bill Ward kept himself off the final tour.

I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I can pretty safely say that Ward's absence is not something related solely to a decision by Ozzy Osbourne.
    Very little that goes on is the result of a single decision. Life is complicated. I was just going by the last I heard; I'm certainly no insider, either. FWIW, here is the latest from Ward:

Bill Ward Blasts Black Sabbath’s ‘Dishonesty and Disloyalty’
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973