Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Amazing guitar talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Man, you really are a jerk, aren't you.
    They call me "MISTER Jerk".

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Man, you really are a jerk, aren't you.
    Actually, I'd be a jerk if I called her that to her face.

But, you earned it, fair and square.

Putz.

The fact is that if any of these young girls were your daughters you'd be beaming with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The fact is that if any of these young girls were your daughters you'd be beaming with pride.
    Think of what you're saying here, if the musician was a 17-year-old male, nobody would be querying if we were the parent of the 17-year-old.

Sort of like the overly paternalistic, over protective and probably sexist father who gives gives his daughters date the third degree and riot act. (I'm not saying this is you by the way) But Fails to do the same for his son, and in fact probably encourages him to get some "action".

In the real world, I've seen critics take note of a certain female jazz guitarist is "revolutionizing" improvisation. The criticism and claims are so hyperbolic that they are paternalistic and probably sexist and definitely not fair to the musician in question.

That's what I like about going to the symphony, nobody makes paternalistic remarks about the gender of the oboe player. In fact, the great thing about the European classical tradition now is that they have blind auditions and nobody cares what the musician looks like .

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Think of what you're saying here, if the musician was a 17-year-old male, nobody would be querying if we were the parent of the 17-year-old.

Sort of like the overly paternalistic, over protective and probably sexist father who gives gives his daughters date the third degree and riot act. (I'm not saying this is you by the way) But Fails to do the same for his son, and in fact probably encourages him to get some "action".

In the real world, I've seen critics take note of a certain female jazz guitarist is "revolutionizing" improvisation. The criticism and claims are so hyperbolic that they are paternalistic and probably sexist and definitely not fair to the musician in question.

That's what I like about going to the symphony, nobody makes paternalistic remarks about the gender of the oboe player. In fact, the great thing about the European classical tradition now is that they have blind auditions and nobody cares what the musician looks like .
    You read a lot into that line. It just happened to be a girl and not a 17 year old guy. If you think I was being sexist then I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    You read a lot into that line. It just happened to be a girl and not a 17 year old guy. If you think I was being sexist then I'm sorry.
    Sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that you were being sexist, and I didn't say that example was you. It's just the whole "damsel in distress" sub theme in this thread .

I just think that mostly, most musicians who aspire to be serious probably really dig it when they are taken seriously. My only comments regarding the musician in question here is that the backing tracks were awful and probably not a good indication of her musical capability. And when someone else posted a video of multiple female performers, I thought she was the second best of the group .

That's what I like about going to the symphony, nobody makes paternalistic remarks about the gender of the oboe player. In fact, the great thing about the European classical tradition now(?) is that they have blind auditions and nobody cares what the musician looks like .
    I guess it's always been this way, different perspective, different approach for a different music.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 08-24-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm not sure there is a "damsel in distress" sub theme here......maybe, but I don't really see it (I guess maybe the idea that we shouldn't criticize a 17 year old girl, specifically). Personally, I've heard teenage (and younger) male players of this caliber on YouTube many times. They are all impressive, male or female. My son is 15, and I would be incredibly proud if he was this good at an instrument (but would also understand that people are perfectly entitled to criticize it). He doesn't play any instruments though, so my place as the only musician in the family is secure (for now)

Also, if the musicians were male, there's a good chance no one would be comparing them to typists. So there's that to consider too.

(uh oh. Haven't had my second cup yet and I'm cranky again.)

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Also, if the musicians were male, there's a good chance no one would be comparing them to typists. So there's that to consider too.
    Wow, it never occurred to me to make a connection between "female" and "typist" although now it seems painfully obvious.

My point, and I shall not make it again, is that these young shredders -- male, female, transgender, undetermined, etc. -- have honed the technical skills in order to successfully perform previously-written music, and that in order to become artists with their own voice they need to take those skills and create a vision they can call their own.

Until then, yeah, they shred like crazy, better than I ever will; if learning a guitar solo note-for-note is the objective, then I am very proud of them and their dedication, talent and hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Wow, it never occurred to me to make a connection between "female" and "typist" although now it seems painfully obvious.
    It's okay, you were making a valid point. I just thought it was funny in light of the gender discussion that had developed...

I'm fed and caffeinated now, and not looking to bust any more chops.

I thought her playing is exemplary. I think of all the stuff she's probably given up to achieve this level of talent in a short time, and I have to really respect her. She can record leads for me any day.

I have heard a lot of music that sounds just like this, and so I was thinking that she needs to move on to something more unique. Its not her. Its the style of music she is playing that is tiresome. I'm pretty sure you could give her any style of music to play and she would be able to master it, quickly.

what she really needs to do is find something that differentiates her from the host of other people doing this. Music being what it is, Being talented, 17 and a girl will only get you so far.

Maybe she should join up with a good boy band and up their game a bit. She would probably take any group and improve it - significantly. As long as she's not so hung up on being 17 and female. Thats good for about 10 years tops. Of course, most careers do not last anywhere near that long, unless you include playing the county fair circuit.

I feel sorry for talented musicians who are young. They are about to spend their entire life being exploited. So few will ever know success. as it has been defined for the last 40 years.

I'd like to see her get somewhere, but she was born in the wrong decade.

You critics - whatever. Need to understand that you've been masturbating longer than she's been playing guitar. I'd say she's put her efforts into something far more valuable. - Just sayin.

Sorry for coming up again to an already dead end subjet, but I think I'd better rephrase my thoughts. I'm not a guitarist or any other musician, and as Chalkpie well pointed out we should praise and respect that young lady for her indeed great talent, regardless of our perspectives her prowess on guitars is really outstanding. And to me her technical ability really stands out on that piece, it's a very demanding one for literally any performer. Now, when the focus is on the interpretation it's all another story, a wholy different performance.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 08-26-2016 at 05:28 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven