Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Prol & Cacophonous Cohorts (feat members of The Muffins, Thinking Plague, etc)

Nick Prol & Cacophonous Cohorts (feat members of The Muffins, Thinking Plague, etc)

These are two nearly finished cuts from the upcoming Nick Prol album entitled Loon Attic, featuring the performances of many musicians in the underground experimental scenes.

Nick is a supremely talented avant garde pop composer (he calls it 'pop in opposition'), cartoonist and all around musical expert. He is influenced by people like Frank Zappa, Cardiacs, The Beach Boys, Henry Cow, XTC, Mike Keneally, The Residents and others. Nick recorded most of these tunes at home, with guests filling out the band and mixing completed by me.

Nick sang and played all the instruments except for where otherwise noted:

CARVINGS ON THE WALL

Dave Newhouse (The Muffins) - woodwinds, keyboards
    Nathan James - stunt bass, ahhhs
    Ian Beabout - production, editing

8TH WONDER

Dave Willey (Thinking Plague, Hamster Theatre) - accordion, bass, fuzz bass and cruddy mandolin
    Mohadev Egg Helmet (Stop Motion Orchestra) - Fiery guitar-hand solo
    Ian Beabout - production

https://soundcloud.com/ianbeaboutpro...honous-cohorts

https://proletarians.bandcamp.com/releases

Just a heads-up that this album has dropped, and features one of our favorite Ian's on production. I only took a test spin of "Carvings on the Wall" thus far, and it is indeed pretty killer, and I am getting a Knifeworld vibe from that one track (intentionally or not). This album is going to deserve an audience me thinks, and a huge congrats to Mr Beabout for a job brilliantly done.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://proletarians.bandcamp.com/releases

Just a heads-up that this album has dropped, and features one of our favorite Ian's on production. I only took a test spin of "Carvings on the Wall" thus far, and it is indeed pretty killer, and I am getting a Knifeworld vibe from that one track (intentionally or not). This album is going to deserve an audience me thinks, and a huge congrats to Mr Beabout for a job brilliantly done.
    I'm 9 songs into this streaming it on bandcamp, placed an order for my very own cd copy, damn fine alright!! (and there's a "holy shit" list of guest artist too!)

Thanks guys, really means a ton that you're listening and enjoying and buying.

Note to the mods, this is an older thread and the band name has changed to 'Nick Prol and the Proletarians'. Could you change the thread title please? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm intrigued by this. Bookmarked to listen to later.

....Paging Dave Sr.

Sounds most enjoyable...so far - indeed!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

The project has grown a TON since I initially posted this thread. For one, CACOPHONOUS COHORTS became THE PROLETARIANS, as at this point we had yet to enlist the help of Mercury Tree's Ben Spees and Connor Reilly, effectively the Henry Cow to Nick's Slapp Happy.

The Proletarians are:

Nick Prol - Vocals, Guitar, Misc. Cacophonous Calamity
    Ben Spees - Bass, Misc. Aural Alchemy
    Connor Reilly - Drums
    Dave Newhouse - Woodwinds

Guest Players (in order of appearance):
    Guest performers include Evyenia Karapolous, Charlie Cawood (Knifeworld), Moe Staiano (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Surplus 1980), Nathan James (Colouratura), Dave Willey (Hamster Theater, Thinking Plague), Paul Sears (The Muffins), Bob Drake, Mohadev Dev (Stop Motion Orchestra), Thymme Jones (Cheer Accident), Oliver Grant Campbell (Mercury Tree), Michael Dawson, Carla Diratz, Matt Lebofsky (miRthkon, Secret Chiefs 3), Dominique D'Avanzo, Emanuele Sterbini, Gavin Wallace-Ailsworth (Bent Knee), Anthony Garone, Rob Crow, and R Stevie Moore

nick prol and the proletarians loon attic.jpg

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will buy this week.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

That's quite an insane cast of characters

Bought it off BC last night...enjoying it so far! Thanks for sharing
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Loon Attic is some wack shit, and I mean that in the best way possible. Definitely a top 2017 album for me.

I loved it first listen - but I'm into that kind of wack shit. The track with Thymme Jones is f'in awesome - Shiny and Round - then comes Marry Annette - a Salamander/Doctor Nerve feast. GET IT.

Listening now. Cool and unique are my first impressions. Not surprised Thymme is on this. Nick recently friended me on facebook. It was one of those "who is this guy? 6 mutual friends, and they're all cool music folks. OK, accepted!" Thanks for the thread to remind me to actually listen to his stuff.

Finally giving this a proper spin. What an achievement by all involved! This is pretty miraculous for a debut album, and I really mean that. A real sense of adventure presented in a quite warped fashion and very creative production and artistic arrangements. A real emphasis on texture, and the overall soundstage. Killer grooves, outstanding vocals, major hooks, stylistic genre hopping, fun odd time galore, weird cartoon munchkin vocals, sampled or fake sampled media, and more all presented in arrangements that seem to excite and invite the listener virtually every second. I don't want to get into comparing other bands/artists since it may detract from all of the good stuff that is happening here, but I do hear influences from the very type(s) of music I love. Its fantastic to hear Bob's voice on "Box of Flies" and other spots!

Ian and Nick - major, major kudos mates. This is simply a delicious feast that deserves to be heard. CONGRATS!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Its fantastic to hear Bob's voice on "Box of Flies" and other spots!
    I'm only on that song, so if you're hearing me on others, please call the Fortean Times asap. And not to steal the glory from Nick, that's him doing the fiddly "aah" bits at the beginning, the second repeat of "in my room..." and the distorted shouting in (what I think of as) the drum solo, I didn't see any reason to re-do those!

Still haven't had the chance to listen to the whole album, but the tracks I have listened to sound great, I know how much of a "challenge" it can be to put together so many contributions by other people, recorded in different places and times etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    I'm only on that song, so if you're hearing me on others, please call the Fortean Times asap. And not to steal the glory from Nick, that's him doing the fiddly "aah" bits at the beginning, the second repeat of "in my room..." and the distorted shouting in (what I think of as) the drum solo, I didn't see any reason to re-do those!
    It must be the "other" mysterious BD singing elsewhere!

Yes, Nick did a wonderful job making it sound cohesive with so many other guests on it.

The truth is, Bob is a HUGE influence on this album. From the Songs themselves all the way to the production.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The truth is, Bob is a HUGE influence on this album. From the Songs themselves all the way to the production.
    I was gonna mention that but I didn't want to steal Nick's thunder :-)That's a huge compliment right there. Please tell Nick I told him congrats and I'm super impressed with this album.

It's wacky - I like it !

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Had it a few days now and its certainly a grower, its got an infectious bounciness with short punchy songs that really works well. Lots of well played humor is a bonus. It does remind me of Bob Drake's stuff a lot. I'm really enjoying it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It does remind me of Bob Drake's stuff a lot. I'm really enjoying it.
    I still haven't had time to listen to all of the songs so I don't have a complete point of view yet, but the few I've heard I could imagine there was a bit of inspiration from my noisier 90's stuff like Medallion Animal Carpet. I hope to make the time soon to hear the whole thing!

Bob
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 04-14-2017 at 09:35 AM.

SHHH! You don't want to ruin your career so early on!
    x

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    SHHH! You don't want to ruin your career so early on!
    x

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Haha. Or make it WAAAYYYY better... who needs a career anyway? Medallion Animal Carpet is the one I would want the most influence from - love that one to bits.

Was one of my first thought when listening to it, this disc get's better with every spin.