Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll...

Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll...

This doesn't get anywhere near the love it deserves IMO. I played it again today (the 2002 remaster) for the first time in many years and was immediately surprised at how smart and tight the songs are. Some great lyrics (as usual) and the melodies are really strong.

I made no effort to follow the concept - just soaked up the songs. While not as good as the trilogy that came straight after, I rank it with Minstrel and Roots to Branches as one of Tull's strongest efforts.

Any other fans?

How does the Steve Wilson version differ?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    A big fan here. Awesome album with a great concept.

p.s. Steve Wilson version is amazing.

I can make a really strong album compared to the mediocre original album using the best songs from the remix. Pity they didn't finish 2 albums worth like they planned.

The 2002 remaster is so bright I can't stand to listen to it. The lyrics and concept are so stupid it makes me never want to listen to it. However, there are some good musical moments. "Pied Piper" is a great tune (with awful lyrics).

I think it's a great album - a real overlooked gem in the 70s Jethro Tull back-catalogue. It's also John Glascock's debut on bass, and he gives the Tull rhythm section a real kick up the backside. I think one of the reasons why it's regarded as a bit of an oddity by many Tull fans is because it was never actually intended to be a Jethro Tull album at all, but a stage musical featuring British actor and 50s rock n'Roll star Adam faith in the Ray Lomas role. On that note, some of you might find the following video rather entertaining. A 50-minute special recorded by Jethro Tull for UK television (my goodness, how evocative that LWT introduction is now of better times), but never actually broadcast for reasons I have no knowledge of. Yes, they're miming, but it's to a version of the album entirely re-recorded (probably due to MU regulations) for this programme:

Last edited by kid_runningfox; 08-17-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Some really solid material, and a few favorites like Salamander and Taxi Grab, but I prefer the albums before and after, Minstrel in the Gallery and Songs from the Woods.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

A thread on this album pops up once every couple of years. The last time it did, I re-bought the album, after having owned and ditched it at least twice. I still own it now, but I consider it a "lesser" Tull album and my least favorite of their 70s output by a long shot. Most of side one is OK, with the standout track for me being Taxi Grab. But I find side two a total slog. I've never been overly fond of the title track, and the rest just leaves me flat. So, YMMV, but to me this is a weak effort barely worth hanging onto.

Bill

Never warmed up to it. I like a couple tracks but overall never cared for it. I have an original CD (not remastered ). I'll give it a spin someday. Just not into Tull at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post

Any other fans?
    It's one of my Top 5 favorite Tull albums, probably number 3 behind APP an TaaB.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post

How does the Steve Wilson version differ?
    It's an entirely different recording, from 1976. It's superior.

Takes me right back to my sophomore year in college. For a couple decades I had set it aside, viewing it as inferior to what came before and what came immediately after. But I played it a few years ago and found what I liked again. I love the Wilson remix. It seemed to give some clarity to the music. The acoustic guitars are clearer, the electric riffs are a little more authoritative, there is just a lot of instrumentation that wasn't very audible in the old mix.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Love the album. Underappreciated to my ears, but that's the beauty of opinion. I love all 70's Tull albums in different ways, some more than others, but this album resides nicely in there. The SW is the way to go IMO.

I have always like it. No it is not at the level of "Thick As A Brick", but I think it is a fine album for what it is.

I made a track list that matches the quality of SFTW. I brought in the 4 proper Tull tracks and took out the daggy soundtrack stuff. Try it out, it turns a crappy album into a really good one.

Strip cartoon
    From a deadbeat
    Salamander ragtime
    Pied piper
    Commercial traveller
    Salamander
    Big dipper
    Small cigar(orchestral)
    Quiz kid
    Chequered flag

It's a pity all original tapes weren't found because you can notice a big difference in sound. Ian should have ditched the idea of a soundtrack in 74 and 76. Too old is not really a Tull album. It's one of Ian's side projects. The compositions, sound and vocals are there for a play which didn't get produced. It just didn't feel like Tull music. Would have been awesome if they finished the 2 albums they planned for in 76. One Tull album and one soundtrack album was the plan. At least we have the 2 studio albums and orchestral album worth from 74 and 1.5 studio albums worth from 76 now . As soon as I heard strip cartoon, commercial traveller, salamander ragtime and small cigar(orchestral) I thought this is Tull. The compositions, sound and vocals are Tull. Unlike a lot of the soundtrack songs
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 08-17-2016 at 06:59 PM.

^^^ Interesting track list. Personally I would swap "Salamander's Ragtime" out for "Crazed Institution".

And I agree that the re-recorded version of the album is superior. The differences are sometimes subtle, but add up to an overall better listen IMO. It just seems to have more 'bite' to it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ Interesting track list. Personally I would swap "Salamander's Ragtime" out for "Crazed Institution".

And I agree that the re-recorded version of the album is superior. The differences are sometimes subtle, but add up to an overall better listen IMO. It just seems to have more 'bite' to it.
    Nah keep playing ragtime lol. Started off as the weakest of the bonus tracks and now it's my fave I think. Ragtime, Traveller, Cartoon, Cigar(orchestral) and Chequered are my fave tull songs from 76. That's half of another classic tull album. Wonder how Advertising man would have sounded if it was completed. I swapped messages with someone who heard it and he said it was an unfinished instrumental. Pity it didn't get finished. Would have loved to hear studio versions of Beethovens 19th and Guitar/drum instrumental from the live 76 concerts. We could have had 5 more cool studio songs if Ian didn't waste time with his soundtracks lol

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, "Salamander's Ragtime" is one of the few Tull outtakes that I understand why it is an outtake. "Crazed Institution" is one of my absolute favorites.

I bought this album when it came out, from Columbia House IIRC! Was disappointed coming off of MitG, I owe it a re-visitation.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

This tour was the first concert I ever attended. Unfortunately for Tull, the warm-ups were Rory Gallagher and Robin Trower (playing all of "Bridge of Sighs"). Never felt the need to buy the album, let alone listen to it again. The title track got a ton of radio airplay at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    A thread on this album pops up once every couple of years. The last time it did, I re-bought the album, after having owned and ditched it at least twice. I still own it now, but I consider it a "lesser" Tull album and my least favorite of their 70s output by a long shot. Most of side one is OK, with the standout track for me being Taxi Grab. But I find side two a total slog. I've never been overly fond of the title track, and the rest just leaves me flat. So, YMMV, but to me this is a weak effort barely worth hanging onto.

Bill
    No better, really (except that the A-side doesn't do much better than the flipside).

Tull's worst album in the 60/70's by a mile (far behind SW and WC), though the TV special will probably make me revisit and reassess (maybe) its music

but the early 80's trilogy (A TB&TB and UW) easily does worse, while CFR and RI fare about the same as TOTRnR
    Last edited by Trane; 08-18-2016 at 02:53 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    My three favourite songs from the album are
    1. Quizz Kid
    2. Crazed Institution
    3. From a Dead Beat to an Old Greaser
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-18-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Takes me right back to my sophomore year in college. For a couple decades I had set it aside, viewing it as inferior to what came before and what came immediately after. But I played it a few years ago and found what I liked again. I love the Wilson remix. It seemed to give some clarity to the music. The acoustic guitars are clearer, the electric riffs are a little more authoritative, there is just a lot of instrumentation that wasn't very audible in the old mix.
    Because it was from different source material, that helps.

The Wilson remix is a definite improvement. The extra tracks on all of Tull's releases are astounding. Ian Anderson was a musical genius. It appears from the treatment of Glascock, he was also a cruel employer. I read up on Glascock after relistening to this record, particularly the latter day interview by Jonathan Mover of Barry Barlow. Very sad to see how a virtuoso player like Glascock could die penniless after being in a major band for over 4 years. I guess nobody forced him to sign the contract with Ian Anderson who appears to be the British version of Frank Zappa, at least as far as his business dealings are concerned.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 08-21-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Glascock's contract with Tull was disastrous but I doubt if his heavy duty partying helped his finances either.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Very nice record. Middle-tier Tull. SW did a nice job with it. Undervalued but well worth delving back into.
    The Prog Corner

Couldn't get into it back in the day and I was a huge Tull fan. Nothing has changed 40 years later.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...