Thread: Bobby Hutcherson-RIP

Bobby Hutcherson-RIP

Sadness.I just read that Bobby Hutcherson died, age 75.He had been ill for some time.He truly revolutionized the role of the vibraphone in modern jazz,and played with most of the lean and hungry young cats on the scene,adding immeasurably to their music.

I count myself fortunate to have seen Hutcherson live at the Village Vanguard on a few occasions over the years;always a pleasure.Thanks for the music.

RIP Bobby Hutcherson

https://www.sfjazz.org/onthecorner/bobby-hutcherson
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Aww, man. Bummer to read. I had heard he was ill, but still a bit of a shock to read. I'll have to spin some today in his honor. RIP.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Sorry to hear that. He was a great vibes player and along with Gary Burton, did much to modernize the role of vibes in jazz. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sorry to hear that. He was a great vibes player and along with Gary Burton, did much to modernize the role of vibes in jazz. R.I.P.
    My sentiments, exactly! And one of a handful of musicians whose sound I can recognize on vibes and marimba. A huge loss.

RIP to a brilliant musician. I had the privilege of seeing him with Joshua Redman, Renee Rosnes & the rest of the SF Jazz Collective some years back & still remember Kay & I raving about them for a week.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Serious bummer. Saw him at the Vanguard as well, in my late teens....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

He really was on top form on Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch - outstanding playing - always regretted he veered back towards the mainstream in the 80s and 90s. Grab a beer and check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmoY...S3eEatj86J4omF

RIP.

His album Montara from the Seventies is a favorite of mine. This stuff is amazing:

RIP Bobby Hutch

One of my favorite Blue Note artists.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Sad to hear, but not unexpected. One of my favourite artists from the 1960s Blue Note scene. He had been battling emphysema for many years and continued performing on stage hooked up to an oxygen tank until about a year ago, when he was no longer physically capable of performing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    He had been battling emphysema for many years and continued performing on stage hooked up to an oxygen tank until about a year ago, when he was no longer physically capable of performing anymore.
    I saw him at Yoshi's about two years ago, and he could barely walk or speak, but you know what? He could still play like a motherfucker. R.I.P. Bobby.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

RIP
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.