Thread: Buying a guitar online...maybe

Buying a guitar online...maybe

I'm in the market for an Epiphone Hummingbird Pro, but it's not looking like any of my local stores have one. So, am I better off ordering from one of them or online? For years, I've always advised others, as a general rule, to Never order a guitar online & to Always go to a store to hold/play one 1st. But on the other hand, I have seen others get them online & end up perfectly happy with them. (after they'd had them set, of course)

What say ye?

As a bass player (primarily), I bought a hand made instrument in Scotland earlier this year (Eve IONA), with a money back guarantee
    if I didn't like it. I absolutely love the instrument. As long as you can return the instrument if it's not to your satisfaction, and it's from
    a reputable company, I wouldn't hesitate to order online. You're not going to see the instrument beforehand either way, so go with
    what makes you most comfortable. Good luck.

I bought a Sire Marcus Miller V7-5 (5-string Jazz with Marcus Miller pre) online a few months ago as Sires are only direct-order...Knowing it to be a crap-shoot, I read many reviews on it before I bought it and they were stellar so I took a chance: Glad I did -- its currently my Number 1 "Go-To" Bass for my 5-String needs ( this includes over the Carvin in my avatar or my Fender American Deluxe Jazz V)......

The one thing stopping me from buying guitars online is I don't want the UPS driver throwing it over my patio wall onto my patio. Even if the UPS driver properly opens the patio gate and sets it gently on my patio, someone could come along and steal it off my patio. My preferred method would be to have my local music store order it and have it delivered to said store.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The one thing stopping me from buying guitars online is I don't want the UPS driver throwing it over my patio wall onto my patio. Even if the UPS driver properly opens the patio gate and sets it gently on my patio, someone could come along and steal it off my patio. My preferred method would be to have my local music store order it and have it delivered to said store.
    Could have them send it signature required that way you'd have to there. If that didn't work you'd have to go to the UPS facility to pick it up. Either way takes the worry of theft or damage out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

What say ye?
    I've bought many online with mostly good results. If it's a production model that are made by the thousands like the Epi you mention i wouldn't hesitate. I've used American Musical a lot and they have a great return policy if it's damaged or not right. I'm sure you could find someone local to do a pro setup on it need be.
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...fosaApbt8P8HAQ

I always have things delivered to my work to avoid the "dump it on the porch" delivery.

I recenlty got a chinese Breedlove from them that was supposed to be "scratch & dent" for a discount, ended up being flawless and one of the best playing acoustics i've owned.

ye say go for it.

I just sold my Godin 12-string electro-acoustic through Reverb.com. I found a buyer there after searching locally for many months. So my take is that your selection and pricing will be much better than settling for what you get locally, unless you are in a big buying market like NY, Chicago or LA. Reverb guaranteed the sale, UPS held it at their shop for buyer pickup, and buyer and seller ended extremely happily.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Thanks, people for all the advice! Greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I'm in the market for an Epiphone Hummingbird Pro, but it's not looking like any of my local stores have one. So, am I better off ordering from one of them or online? For years, I've always advised others, as a general rule, to Never order a guitar online & to Always go to a store to hold/play one 1st. But on the other hand, I have seen others get them online & end up perfectly happy with them. (after they'd had them set, of course)

What say ye?
    I've bought lots of guitars online and never really had a problem. Not all of them have panned out in the long run, but it hasn't been because I got a "bad" instrument online, rather my tastes and needs changed and I decided to move on from a particular instrument. I currently own ten instruments, seven were purchased online and I've never had a spot of trouble with any of them. If you're concerned, buy from Musician's Friend or some other vendor that takes returns. You'll be out a bit of postage, but that's worth the opportunity to try the instrument and return it if you really feel you got a lemon. I say go ahead and try it.

Good luck,

Bill

I've got a Gibson Les Paul Custom that I bought in the mid-80s that I've been intending to put on ebay. I even had a set up done on it to prep it for sale in late 2008, then the bottom fell out of the economy and I gave up the idea, figuring that it wasn't a seller's market.
    I probably should try and do it this year. It would make someone quite a Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've got a Gibson Les Paul Custom that I bought in the mid-80s that I've been intending to put on ebay. I even had a set up done on it to prep it for sale in late 2008, then the bottom fell out of the economy and I gave up the idea, figuring that it wasn't a seller's market.
    I probably should try and do it this year. It would make someone quite a Christmas present.
    I'd highly suggest trying Reverb.com before e-Bay. The fees from Reverb are far lower, and there seem to be more active buyers of quality musical merchandise on Reverb now than e-Bay. I've had fantastic luck buying and selling on Reverb, and I hardly look at e-Bay anymore for musical instruments. So give Reverb a look before you post it.

Bill

Is reverb auction or set-sale?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is reverb auction or set-sale?
    Reverb is set sale.

A suggestion - i have a nephew who routinely buys and sells instruments online, generally higher end stuff. He says it's a buyer's market right now and expensive instruments are going really cheap.
    If it were me i'd wait until closer to X-mas when people are in more of a spending mood to get top dollar for your Paul.
    I also agree with Sputnik to go with Reverb over ebay.

One other option i've used as both buyer and seller with great success is www.thegearpage.net
    in order to advertise on their "emporium" you have to be a donating member in good standing but it's peanuts and a pretty cool place to hang out if you like gear.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I buy online whatever, whenever. But I am not the kind of person to obsess over a guitar or much else for hat matter. Its a tool either it works or it doesnt. I never pay ridiculous prices either. I bought my Taylor T5 online sight unseen. It was rough, but it played like a dream, and it was priced accordingly. If you are the kind of person to obsess over things, buying online may not be for you.