Thread: Five classic Genesis albums to be released in audiophile vinyl format

Five classic Genesis albums to be released in audiophile vinyl format

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/genesis-vinyl-reissues/

Genesis fans: rejoice! Especially if you have a whole lot of extra cash. EMI is re-issuing five of this legendary prog-rock band’s first six studio albums (leaving out their rightfully despised debut, 1969′s ’From Genesis to Revelations’), all in fancy “180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl” format.

This five-album spread covers the British band’s incredible early ’70s run with Peter Gabriel as singer, Steve Hackett as guitarist, and Phil Collins still firmly behind the drum kit: 1970′s ‘Trespass,’ 1971′s ‘Nursery Cryme,’ 1972′s ‘Foxtrot’ (home to the 25-minute anthem ‘Supper’s Ready’), 1973′s ‘Selling England by the Pound,’ and their 1974 double-album epic ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.’

Each reissue is available for pre-order at SoundStageDIrect (No release date info is available yet). They’re all listed at $39.99 a pop — except for ‘Lamb,’ which will run you $49.99. All five albums constitute one of the most acclaimed streaks in prog-rock history, and all were collected several years ago for the remastered 1970-1975 box set (both in CD and vinyl formats). But these? These are ‘Audiophile’ versions, which means EMI probably had help from NASA.

In case you’re not familiar with the ‘Audiophile’ language, here’s a definition from SoundStageDirect: “These vinyl records are produced with 180 or 200 grams of high definition premium grade virgin vinyl. This is a higher quality audiophile pressing than the typical vinyl record of 100-120 grams. These limited edition LP’s are manufactured with the hi-fi enthusiast in mind. A 180 or 200 gram LP is sometimes also referred to as an audiophile pressing, there is a higher bass response and an even warmer High Fidelity sound.”
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If these are the same versions that Burning Shed are currently advertising then they are from the 2008 remasters which were remixed.

And they were digitally remastered so seems a bit pointless to then release them on an analogue format - same as the Beatles new vinyl releases (which are also stereo rather the original mono as mixed by George Martin and the Beatles at the time).

The sound quality on the CD versions was very good though personally I felt it was swings and roundabouts with the remixing.

It did bring out Steve Hackett's guitar parts but there were a few other things missing.

Not saying don't buy them but do be aware of what you'll be getting as they might be advertised as 'original' in some way

Personally I'd hunt out original vinyls in your friendly neighbourhood record emporium!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    EMI's got to make a living from an elpee's worth of tunes...

Yeah, and Mike Rutherford could probably use another couple of polo ponies.

Meeow!

Banned
    this "writer" losses all credibility saying things like "rightfully despised debut". So he doesn't like the first album, we get it, but what the fuck? Another lame website with a lot of lame "writers"

Yep. What's the point if this is just a cd transfered to a vinyl format. Need to know alot more about this first.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Weren't the remixes already released on vinyl a couple of years ago?

I'm not sure why I'd want vinyl cut from a 2008 (digital) master? For 'hipster' cred?

I already have these, from the 70's, on Japanese 160 gram vinyl. They sound incredible. Very quiet, dynamic and detailed. They blow away any version done later. And there is no question as to the source of the masters.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    this "writer" losses all credibility saying things like "rightfully despised debut". So he doesn't like the first album, we get it, but what the fuck? Another lame website with a lot of lame "writers"
    Plus the blurb inocrrectly states that Collins and Hackett played on Trespass - which they did not!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    EMI's got to make a living from an elpee's worth of tunes...
    If the label wants to make some money, release some full concerts from the '70s and '80s - not stuff we already have!

The remixes on LP sounded a little more tolerable than the SACDs/CDs, because they didn't have the added compression used in mastering.

But frankly the stereo remixes are so bad in the first place and have so much compression on them anyway, that this minor difference would not likely make anyone who doesn't like the CDs be able to put up with the remixes on vinyl.

The remixes on vinyl were discussed years ago and the main difference turned out to be that the 3db of compression used when the CDs were mastered was not there. But they were still the same remixes. If you want 70s Genesis mixes to sound like "Mama" and "Illegal Alien" then you'll like them, and get cooler, full size artwork.

Any use of the word "audiophile" within a hundred miles of those remixes is simply nonsense, IMO.

I've got all the albums on vinyl. What would I gain by buying these?

Wait, let me guess:"calling all stations," "we can't dance" "invisible touch," "Genesis" and "abacab."
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    LOL I noticed that as well. It's despised, is it? And rightfully so? I don't think I've ever heard it described as being 'despised'. A more appropriate way to phrase it would be 'naive' or 'finding their feet' or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wait, let me guess:"calling all stations," "we can't dance" "invisible touch," "Genesis" and "abacab."
    Don't be ridiculous.

Abacab isn't a 'classic'.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Is this just the vinyls from the vinyl box sold separately?

I know I have an 180 gram vinyl of SEBTP.... sounds great. Not sure what mix it is but it sounds so good it probably is the new mix (even though Johnnie Burns original mix was also great).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I wonder what went wrong on the remix of 'Entangled', in particular the closing instrumental section (listen to the twelve-string in the background).
    Just had a listen JJ88 (on my phone admittedly - MP3 ripped at 192KHz from the CD) and I think I hear what you mean - one of the 12-strings sounds out of step.

Is it maybe just a long repeat echo that's been brought too far forward in the mix?

The mellotron choir is pretty feeble too in comparison to the vinyl original.

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    I know I have an 180 gram vinyl of SEBTP.... sounds great. Not sure what mix it is but it sounds so good it probably is the new mix (even though Johnnie Burns original mix was also great).

Jim
    If it sounds good, it can't be the remix. Classic Records also issued the Gabriel era Genesis albums about 10 years ago on 180 and 200 gram vinyl-original mixes. Maybe that's what you have?