Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Piper at the Gates and Sgt Peppers, Simultaneity

Banned

Piper at the Gates and Sgt Peppers, Simultaneity

According to Pink Floyd: Behind the Wall, Pink Floyd and the Beatles were developing these albums at the same time in Abbey Road Studios. They talked together and shared ideas. John Lennon thought that Pink Floyd was on the cusp.

So the Beatles sort of passed the baton of musical creativity to Pink Floyd.
    Last edited by Firth; 08-16-2016 at 07:04 AM.

I liked the band so much better when there was a definite article before the name. Especially 1968 to 1972 .

Damn shame of the definite article went away. Damn shame 1968 to 1972 couldn't sustain itself creatively, not just for this band, but many many others.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I liked the band so much better when there was a definite article before the name. Especially 1968 to 1972 .

Damn shame of the definite article went away. Damn shame 1968 to 1972 couldn't sustain itself creatively, not just for this band, but many many others.
    Yes, a shame about all those post-1972 creative duds. Oh, wait...

As it happens, I just finished reading John Harris' account of the making of DSotM, which was also recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Paul McCartney was recording their sophomore LP and Roger Waters interviewed him in hopes of getting a usable response or two for inclusion on the record. But McCartney, apparently thinking the interview was a tedious prank, refused to give a straight answer to any of Waters' questions. So while some of the studio staff made it on the record, McCartney didn't.

Piper sucks. Sgt Pepper isn't bad. The doors produced better music in 67 and 68 than these 2 bands

Quote Originally Posted by Project Nightscape View Post
    As it happens, I just finished reading John Harris' account of the making of DSotM, which was also recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Paul McCartney was recording their sophomore LP and Roger Waters interviewed him in hopes of getting a usable response or two for inclusion on the record. But McCartney, apparently thinking the interview was a tedious prank, refused to give a straight answer to any of Waters' questions. So while some of the studio staff made it on the record, McCartney didn't.
    I believe I read Wings guitarist Henry McCullough also made it onto Dark Side Of The Moon, though I'm not sure which comments are his.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    John Lennon thought that Pink Floyd was on the verge of creating something great.
    He was right.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

So the Beatles sort of passed the baton of musical creativity to Pink Floyd.
    I think The Pink Floyd already had a baton.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I believe I read Wings guitarist Henry McCullough also made it onto Dark Side Of The Moon, though I'm not sure which comments are his.
    "I was already drunk at the time.."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Piper sucks. Sgt Pepper isn't bad. The doors produced better music in 67 and 68 than these 2 bands
    How old are you?

How old are you?
    Awesome response!

Both albums were unique , influential to musicians, groundbreaking , and innovative. Syd Barrett was combining the element of English children's literature with British Psychedelic Rock and Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison were going off in various directions obviously by this point in time....although John Lennon had already applied the characteristics of what Syd Barrett was doing in several of his songs prior to the release of Pepper, Syd Barrett was doing the style differently by making it a full consistent production. Also Syd Barrett's approach to combining children's literature with Psychedelic was quite different from Lennon's. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn also drew from Sci-Fi themes of the 50's and 60's in "Astronomy Domine, "Lucifer Sam" and "Interstellar Overdrive" and that element of surprise differed from Pepper greatly. Two completely different albums/styles.

How old are you?
    I'm 43. Piper sounds like kiddie psychedelic 60s pop to me

Banned
    +1

Banned
    (...) Piper sounds like kiddie psychedelic 60s pop to me
    A 'freakbeat' album.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Yes, a shame about all those post-1972 creative duds. Oh, wait...
    Yeah, when they went commercial with all that "100 times done before" pop shit

Quote Originally Posted by Project Nightscape View Post
    Well, I seem to remember that the closing "As A Matter Of Fact, It's All Dark" closing vocals was inspired by Macca... it could be his voice too

I do agree that Arnold and Emily sound like typical engish whimsical kiddie stuff 5 was never into the Alice Wonderland stuuf either)... but Piper also features Interstallat Overdive, Power Toc H and Astronomy Domine. Those three alone make it that Piper cannot be discarded as 'sucking'
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    (...)
    I do agree that Arnold and Emily sound like typical engish whimsical kiddie stuff 5 was never into the Alice Wonderland stuuf either)... but Piper also features Interstallat Overdive, Power Toc H and Astronomy Domine. Those three alone make it that Piper cannot be discarded as 'sucking'
    To these ears, Arnold and Emily are the best songs of the 60s freakbeat PF.
    Re above mentioned The Doors' albums, they are better really - by nautical mile - than both Piper and Sgt. Pepper
    Btw, I don't understand why Piper is so overrated album; re that 60s English psych, e.g. S.F. Sorrow is a better album (and also recorded in Abbey Road Studios).
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-15-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, I seem to remember that the closing "As A Matter Of Fact, It's All Dark" closing vocals was inspired by Macca... it could be his voice too
    No, that was Gerry Driscoll (?) speaking, who worked at the recording studio in some capacity - caretaker/doorman or something? Don't know if those are his words though.

I love paintbox. Wipes the floor with every song on Piper. I only like Domine and thought the gnome was cute lol

Well, PatGoD kind of is kiddie psychedelic pop. You say that like it's a bad thing. That strain of nostalgia for childhood is a common theme in British psychedelia, seldom more so than in early Floyd, with songs like "The Gnome, "Bike," and "Matilda Mother." Even the album title comes from a children's book. The evocations of childhood have a lot to do with the LSD experience and the perception of a new awakening or rebirth. Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of acid, baby.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm 43. My favorite PF is Animals.

Piper is a different creature, but a very cool one. Barrett's whimsy was marvelous, and a track like Interstellar Overdrive is amazing in the amount of variety between versions. 'Bike' puts a huge smile on my face every time.

There was/is a cool site that creates "What If" type albums and/or unreleased albums...they created a very cool follow-up to Piper by merging the Barrett stuff from Saucerful (including Vegetable Man and Scream) along with a few choice bits from his solo stuff like Octopus. The best/coolest though was a track that used 'Golden Hair' as a lead-in for 'Set the Controls.' It works shockingly well.

Edit: here it is... http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot....to-heaven.html

I've never really connected with Sgt. Pepper but I haven't spent nearly as much time with it as Piper.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Re above mentioned The Doors' albums, they are better really - by nautical mile - than both Piper and Sgt. Pepper
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Even if it is 100% demonstrably undeniably appallingly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm 43. My favorite PF is Animals.

Piper is a different creature, but a very cool one. Barrett's whimsy was marvelous, and a track like Interstellar Overdrive is amazing in the amount of variety between versions. 'Bike' puts a huge smile on my face every time.

There was/is a cool site that creates "What If" type albums and/or unreleased albums...they created a very cool follow-up to Piper by merging the Barrett stuff from Saucerful (including Vegetable Man and Scream) along with a few choice bits from his solo stuff like Octopus. The best/coolest though was a track that used 'Golden Hair' as a lead-in for 'Set the Controls.' It works shockingly well.

Edit: here it is... http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot....to-heaven.html

I've never really connected with Sgt. Pepper but I haven't spent nearly as much time with it as Piper.
    Interesting how running Golden Hair into Set The Controls worked.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I found this nice, brief summary of the chapter of The Wind in the Willows that The Pink Floyd took their album title from:

"...most adaptations and many reprints of the book miss out its secret heart, chapter seven: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, one of the most ‘heathen’ moments in modern literature, all the more remarkable for the fact that it is hidden in a book for seven-year-olds.

The story is quickly told. Otter has lost his son and Rat and Mole get in their boat and row through the night to look for him. Just before the dawn they come on an incredible music and walking through the trees come face to face with a deity who is clearly (though never named) the Great God Pan. There at Pan’s feet is the lost otter boy. Ratty and Mole wake up later to find the otter boy and Mole is aware of a dream he cannot remember, while Rat notices hoof prints in the grass: Pan has blessed them with forgetfulness. They then load the boy into the boat and take him back to his family recognizing though that they have had an unusual if elusive experience."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Even if it is 100% demonstrably undeniably appallingly wrong.
    This!