Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Piper at the Gates and Sgt Peppers, Simultaneity

Where does all this revisionist history come from? According to Beatles' biographer/discographer supreme Mark Lewisohn, the Beatles' former recording engineer turned produce Norman "Hurricane" Smith brought the Floyd to meet the Bealtes in one of the three Abby Road Studios. They were promptly given a cold shoulder by the Fabs, who hated outsiders in "their space." They shook in front of Eric Clapton when he played on "My Guitar Gently Weeps", but he was no outsider, being a mate of Mr. Harrison. (And Clapton was God, after all.)
    Last edited by StevegSr; 08-15-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    According to Beatles' biographer/discographer supreme Mark Lewisohn, the Beatles' former recording engineer turned produce Norman "Hurricane" Smith brought the Floyd to meet the Bealtes in one of the three Abby Road Studios. They were promptly given a cold shoulder by the Fabs, who hated outsiders in "their space."
    Nick Mason's account is that they were ushered into the studio while the Beatles were recording and mixing "Lovely Rita," there was "little, if any, banter with the Beatles," and after a short time they were ushered out again. The recording part would have been George Martin overdubbing the piano solo, Ringo was absent, and John was tripping his ass off--this was the infamous session where George Martin thought John was ill, and brought him up to the rooftop for some fresh air. When Paul and George realized that John had been left unattended on the rooftop, they scurried up to retrieve him.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Nick Mason's account is that they were ushered into the studio while the Beatles were recording and mixing "Lovely Rita," there was "little, if any, banter with the Beatles," and after a short time they were ushered out again. The recording part would have been George Martin overdubbing the piano solo, Ringo was absent, and John was tripping his ass off--this was the infamous session where George Martin thought John was ill, and brought him up to the rooftop for some fresh air. When Paul and George realized that John had been left unattended on the rooftop, they scurried up to retrieve him.
    What a coincidence. Now if this doesn't sound revisionist, what does? Btw, the Beatles' recording engineer (Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's) Geoff Emerick's bio makes no mention of the Floyd, just Lennon tripping on the roof!

... John was tripping his ass off--
    Hmmm. Maybe the "baton" the Beatles passed was on fire?

What a coincidence. Now if this doesn't sound revisionist, what does? Btw, the Beatles' recording engineer (Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's) Geoff Emerick's bio makes no mention of the Floyd, just Lennon tripping on the roof!
    Just to be clear, only my first sentence was Nick Mason's account from his Floyd book. The rest of it, including fact that the Floyd visit was the same session as the Lennon rooftop incident, came from the same authority you referenced previously: Mark Lewisohn, in his Recording Sessions book.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The other connection is that Piper was produced by Norman Smith, who til that point had been making his living as an engineer for EMI and had worked on a large chunk of early Beatles recordings. So he knew both bands.

Ironically I've always felt that the engineering work on Piper was not up to what he had done for the Beatles. But Smith wasn't the engineer for that album, and I'm sure PF were operating on a smaller budget than the Beatles were used to!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The other connection is that Piper was produced by Norman Smith, who til that point had been making his living as an engineer for EMI and had worked on a large chunk of early Beatles recordings. So he knew both bands.

Ironically I've always felt that the engineering work on Piper was not up to what he had done for the Beatles. But Smith wasn't the engineer for that album, and I'm sure PF were operating on a smaller budget than the Beatles were used to!
    Floyd didn't have George Martin either.

Banned

Piper at the Gates and Sgt Peppers, Simultaneity

The documentary:

https://youtu.be/H2F1oH73leU

@39:50 the discussion turns to EMI and Abbey Road Studios.
    Last edited by Firth; 08-15-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Good discussion. While it came a tad later, we cannot ignore "I am the Walrus," which not only helped define the genre, it was heavily inspired by Lewis Carrol, so there is a children's literature connection.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I wonder how many people who have posted on this thread have actually dropped acid at some point.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I wonder how many people who have posted on this thread have actually dropped acid at some point.
    Who can remember.

I was disappointed in Norman Smith's attitude towards Syd Barrett. Norman Smith says on a video...."He didn't...He didn't act as an M.D.."He spoke through his songs". I don't buy the M.D. part. Of course he acted as a music director with members of Floyd. Of course he did! All the comments from these guys regarding how Syd Barrett directed them and taught them when not to play....(which seems simplistic to some, but vital to master?), and how he had great ideas and did most of the writing , which guided them to harness a sound for Pink Floyd that continued for years.

Maybe he wasn't a music director in the traditional sense and it's very possible that he communicated a lot to the band when Norman Smith was busy doing something else. He's just a snob that's all. Syd Barrett was into the AMMMMUSIC album and wanted to experiment with sounds and not unlike any Krautrocker would do in the 70's. Yeah...he spoke through his songs..but he was a lot deeper than that. Norman Smith states that he suggested a brass section for "Jugband Blues". Syd Barrett suggested a Salvation Army Band. Norman Smith asked Syd Barrett..."Why a Salvation Army Band?" Syd Barrett supposedly said......."I don't know, I think I can hear that".....which is a direct indication that Barrett heard something in his head and produced ideas from it. I believe that Norman Smith's curiosity was based on not understanding Syd Barrett's approach to music at all.

Then the Salvation Army Band arrives to the studio on time and Barrett arrives late. Then Norman Smith asks Syd Barrett ..."What would you like them to play?". Barrett replies, ""Oh...I don't know really....play anything really" Norman Smith says, "Uh...no, no, Syd....they can't just play anything, I haven't jotted down any dots and we would like to know your views" Syd Barrett says, "I don't know". Norman Smith says, "Well what would you like them to play?" Syd Barrett replied....." Well play anything really...they can play whatever they'd like" I mean seriously.....sometimes Avant-Garde musicians will just say that to you at a session......"Play anything you'd like". I believe that Syd Barrett wanted that Salvation Army Band to sound like confusion.To be chaotic.

Barrett was into that AMMMMUSIC album and wanted to deliver the same vibe only through Rock music and Norman Smith being a snobby traditionalist had no clue what Syd Barrett was about. Syd Barrett wrote all those candy lollypop sounding songs...but he was also drawn to other styles of music. I believe Chris Cutler may have been interested in creating a new kind of music that was chaotic sounding and I strongly believe that Syd Barrett was following that path as well. Syd Barrett was a fan of Soft Machine. Think about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Even if it is 100% demonstrably undeniably appallingly wrong.
    Oh really? Just tell me please which one of the 60s The Pink Floyd's freakbeat songs could be compared with e.g. The End?
    Re Sgt Pepper, well of course that someone who prefer pop, always will prefer Sgt. Pepper more than any of The Doors' albums.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-16-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Oh really? Just tell me please which one of the 60s The Pink Floyd's freakbeat songs could be compared with e.g. The End?
    Re Sgt Pepper, well of course that someone who prefer pop, always will prefer Sgt. Pepper more than any of The Doors' albums.
    Some people like oranges and some people like apples and some people like both and some people like neither. I like both and sometimes I want an apple and sometimes I want an orange. But sometimes I want a banana.

^Quite. Such pointless comparisons.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Some people like oranges and some people like apples and some people like both and some people like neither. I like both and sometimes I want an apple and sometimes I want an orange. But sometimes I want a banana.
    That shit about apples and oranges I've heard a million times and that's not an argument, so do not try to be his lawyer and leave him to say which of PF 60s 'freakbeat' songs is stronger than e.g. The End by The Doors.

Here we go again...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Here we go again...
    I didn't ask you anything.

I don't think anyone would call the Doors' first two albums "freakbeat"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I don't think anyone would call the Doors' first two albums "freakbeat"
    Of course not, because the term 'freakbeat' - coined in the 1980s by Phil Smee of the Bam Caruso reissue label - refers only to the British psychedelic rock scene '66-'68.

Just to be clear, only my first sentence was Nick Mason's account from his Floyd book. The rest of it, including fact that the Floyd visit was the same session as the Lennon rooftop incident, came from the same authority you referenced previously: Mark Lewisohn, in his Recording Sessions book.
    To be fair, and to stop yanking your chain, both Lewisohn's book and Emerick's autobio Here, There, and Everywhere state exactly the same thing with Emerick going on to emphasize that "no further interaction between the Floyd and the Fabs ever come about after the Harrison's and McCartney's cold reception to the Pink Floyd members brought in by Norman Smith."

So, still no John Lennon saying "PatGoD was going to be great", "Syd's a genius", etc., etc., etc..

Banned
    To be fair, and to stop yanking your chain, both Lewisohn's book and Emerick's autobio Here, There, and Everywhere state exactly the same thing with Emerick going on to emphasize that "no further interaction between the Floyd and the Fabs ever come about after the Harrison's and McCartney's cold reception to the Pink Floyd members brought in by Norman Smith."

So, still no John Lennon saying "PatGoD was going to be great", "Syd's a genius", etc., etc., etc..
    Who quoted Lennon as saying "Syd's a genius". Perhaps you are making up shit, to create a drama.

I can't believe the comparisons to the Doors. Sgt Peppers which came out in 67, the Doors and Pet Sounds which came out before, were the beginning of expanding pop rock into art rock. The British psych trailed American, but I loved it all and it was the spirit of taking whatever you know and spinning it in a different way, which meant a different result. Difference matters, and we don't need to talk about whose dick is bigger.

Banned
    Both Piper and Sgt. Pepper would have been way better albums with Arnold Layne / See Emily Play and Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane on those LPs.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-17-2016 at 04:59 AM.