Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Psychedelic Ensemble? New to me.

The Psychedelic Ensemble? New to me.

a1319985398_10.jpg
    https://thepsychedelicensemble.bandc...-myth-of-dying

I would guess a Yes cover band branching out into Yes soundalike music. Seem to be good musicians doing a creditable job of it even if it is a pastiche.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Love the two TPE albums I have (Golden King and Sunstone). Kind of a guilty pleasure. If you like big Wakeman-like concept albums, recommended.

Now if we could crack the identity of the mystery musician behind TPE.

Or perhaps we are all TPE.

Pretty sure there have been threads or a thread on them here before, and I think I recall the artist posting in a thread on their last album.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Yes, we've discussed "them"...or is it he or she, or X or Z...before. If the artist posted, it was under the TPE moniker, so still a mystery man....

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Pretty sure there have been threads or a thread on them here before, and I think I recall the artist posting in a thread on their last album.
    In that case, the search feature on Progressive Ears sucks the root. I searched for the artist name and it came up with nothing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    In that case, the search feature on Progressive Ears sucks the root. I searched for the artist name and it came up with nothing.
    Hmm, not sure what to say. I purchased Sunstone off of samples and recs posted online, and this is really the only music forum that I frequent, so I would say it had to be here.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    the search feature on Progressive Ears sucks the root.
    I'm reporting you!

TPE is definitely a he. I promised not to reveal his identity, but I can say that his day job is being a music professor/classical composer. There are some interviews with him posted on his website.

It looks like his is behind schedule on his next album. But I understand these things happen, so I won't complain.

If you Google... deezer "psychedelic ensemble"... you get, among other things, the following search results which suggests that The Psychedelic Ensemble is Craig P. First. All of the clues seem to confirm this (Alabama, classical composer, professor of music, links to Michael Wilk, Kurt Fowler, Davis Brooks, etc).
    Deezer search results.jpg

I too really like the last two from him - especially The Golden King. Quality stuff.
    The Prog Corner

I’ve heard Tale of the Golden King, and while I would hesitate to call it a “modern classic,” it does a bang-up job in a style of symphonic prog nobody else seems to be doing anymore. Certainly a bigger production than I’m used to from latter-day prog, which suggests that whoever this TPE guy is, he a) has classical training, b) is independently wealthy and c) has ties to a local symphony orchestra. Total vanity project, but if only all suchlike had such quality in the composing, arranging and playing. The name doesn’t make any sense—what about this is in any way “psychedelic”?—but it seems to be an artifact; apparently, the earlier TPE material was more Floydian in orientation. The concept is kind of cheesy but oh well, I guess that comes with the territory.
    Last edited by Progbear; 03-09-2018 at 01:52 AM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Jon Neudorf
    Hes an incredibly talented guy. Have emailed with him the last few years and he seems like a good guy as well. I hope he is doing okay and his new album will get released.

Last I heard, he has been very ill and stricken with Parkinson's Disease. I had contact with his aides but they no longer answer.

Quote Originally Posted by harbinger58 View Post
    Last I heard, he has been very ill and stricken with Parkinson's Disease. I had contact with his aides but they no longer answer.
    This is sad to hear. I checked his music department page, and he is no longer listed as a faculty member.

Progbear: I don't think he is particularly wealthy. Just well connected to classical musicians who were willing to help him out. At least some of them are former students. As for the name, he came up with it when he thought he was doing a one-off project. It refers to the subject matter (the psyche) rather than a music style.

Wiz_d_kidd: I neither confirm nor deny your allegation.

I noticed that he is no longer shown on the university website. Email sent via his TPE website bounces back as undeliverable, and his personal website associated with his classical work has been taken down. I cannot find any news, however, to confirm the rumors of his illness. This is all very troubling...

If you are a TPE fan, I would suggest picking up his albums while they are still in print.

Jon Neudorf
    Going to fire him an email this weekend Will report back.

Jon

Jon Neudorf
    But he's probably looking for privacy.

Jon

Trying to order CDs from his website is a no-go. I had to order from bandcamp, which was more expensive.

There are a few CDs left on Amazon.

When I contacted him last, he had 2 full-time assistants. Financially, he was fine. But I am hearing nothing at all from him. He was very ill last time I corresponded with one of his assistants about a year ago, but everything including email has gone dark.

More (distressing) news... I found the facebook pages for his wife (Jean), son (Craig F.) and daughter (Caroline). None make any mention of him having an illness or passing away (going way back to 2013, where I stopped looking). In fact, other than one very old family photo, there is no reference to him whatsoever. Jean's page shows her marriage as a "life event", but now shows her status as "single". Zillow shows that the family home in Tuscaloosa sold this past summer. I searched nationwide obituaries and found none. Divorce?

Jon Neudorf
    This isn't sounding good.

Jon Neudorf
    I think he is single again. I dont want to say anymore.