Thread: Hackett Genesis Revisited Symphony edition

Hackett Genesis Revisited Symphony edition

It looks like Steve will be doing Genesis and solo gigs along with an orchestra. Well it looks like at least one gig:

https://bpo.org/event/steve-hackett-genesis-revisited/

I have have front row balcony seats for this Buffalo performance. Really looking forward to this, and so is my wife.

Scott
    www.stillstream.fm Your Place of Solace on the Net

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    It looks like Steve will be doing Genesis and solo gigs along with an orchestra. Well it looks like at least one gig:

https://bpo.org/event/steve-hackett-genesis-revisited/
    Always good to see orchestras collaborating with rock musicians, especially our heroes. But this bit from the page linked above...

An innovative artist at the top of his game, this concert reveals his classical training...
    ...might lead to some disappointment from those in the audience expecting Steve to be truly classically trained. He's an excellent guitarist who IMO is gifted on classical guitar. But he's not what most would consider a classical caliber musician.

Still, this orchestra appears to be trying to expand their audience with lots of crossover programming (they're doing U2 and Prince music programs as well). Whatever it takes, I guess.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Always good to see orchestras collaborating with rock musicians, especially our heroes. But this bit from the page linked above...
    ...might lead to some disappointment from those in the audience expecting Steve to be truly classically trained. He's an excellent guitarist who IMO is gifted on classical guitar. But he's not what most would consider a classical caliber musician.
    On two of his albums he was not far from that classical 'caliber' though. Indeed, just very very few works, but at least both at a classical league still NOT repeated among the progressive rock musicians until the present day.
    Nuff said.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 08-12-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

So it looks like this is Steve playing acoustic guitar with the orchestra right? Not his band + orchestra performance.

I always thought he was self-trained?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It seems to leave the whole thing open as to exactly what the concert will be. Does it ever say he'll be playing with the orchestra? If it does, I didn't see it. I thought it was going to be Steve and his band, playing the same venue the orchestra usually plays and presented by the orchestra's management. Orchestra boards sometimes do this - present regular concerts by pop-music artists to bring in money and raise operating capital.

meh...Don't get me wrong, as I love Steve and am very happy for his recent successes. But to me he's now taking the GR thing too far. But I'm a stubborn retro-guy. I rather hear mellotrons than orchestra's, that's just me. Seems he's joining the crowd in ways to milk a cash-cow. Maybe he's got a new manager?...Kim Poor!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    meh...Don't get me wrong, as I love Steve and am very happy for his recent successes. But to me he's now taking the GR thing too far. But I'm a stubborn retro-guy. I rather hear mellotrons than orchestra's, that's just me. Seems he's joining the crowd in ways to milk a cash-cow. Maybe he's got a new manager?...Kim Poor!
    That's a much more cynical view of things than I've got (and I'm definitely more cynical than many here!) Steve has always been the #1 evangelist of classic Genesis music, so here's a chance to hopefully bring the wonderment of it to some unfamiliar ears. Sure, it benefits his bank account but it also potentially benefits Phil, Tony, Mike and Peter so he's not being entirely selfish about it.

And of course he's also going to promote his own music along the way. It's the only way he can hope to make a living without having to entirely resort to milking the Genesis Revisited cash cow.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I always looked at it as a way of rebooting his career after that ugly divorce. Once things got final, he went on the years-long Genesis binge, sold some records, sold out some shows, hopefully converted some new fans or reminded old fans that he's still around, and then continued making new music that he can play on the road - hopefully to some of those new audience members.

Sounds like a great career move to me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It seems to leave the whole thing open as to exactly what the concert will be. Does it ever say he'll be playing with the orchestra? If it does, I didn't see it. I thought it was going to be Steve and his band, playing the same venue the orchestra usually plays and presented by the orchestra's management. Orchestra boards sometimes do this - present regular concerts by pop-music artists to bring in money and raise operating capital.
    This says he will indeed play with the orchestra.

https://bpo.org/spotlight-on-rock-vi...-rocks-series/

Will be going to this for sure---his concerts are amazing and so is his band---top notch players. Just hope he's playing electric and not just nylon. Hackett is the templet for what great 70's prog can sound like live---without the original players. Look his solo work is great----and classic Genesis deserves to be played live---its great stuff and he does it so well---no tribute band vibe at all---just real great playing. If it;s making him some money---good for him. Howe should have done the same a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Orchestra boards sometimes do this - present regular concerts by pop-music artists to bring in money and raise operating capital.
    Pretty true, I sadly have to admit that more and more Orchestras are even dying for/without it. Don't know whether it's the case of BPO, but who gives a fck anyway?
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Are there other shows planned? There's nothing about this on the hackettsongs website. I can't imagine he'd come over for only one show.
    Last edited by schlongasaurus; 08-15-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Ember
    I see no indication that his band is also playing...? Is it just him and the orchestra?