Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-Discovering Foghat

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Which of their albums is the proggiest?

Just kiddin'!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ain't no prog in The Fog.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Just kiddin'!
    If push came to shove, I'd say their debut... They still had some kind of Savoy Brown in them at the time.
    something that totally disappeared afterwards
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I would have to agree with that. Some great blues rock riff IMO, but no prog....

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

In my opinion their debut is their best. As far as pure rock'n'roll enjoyment goes, you can't go wrong with any of their first 5 albums (period 1972-1975) plus the live one.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I know most people seem to really like the first 5 albums, but I think “Night Shift”, “Stone Blue” and “Boogie Motel” are all pretty strong as well. Maybe it is because that is when I discovered them, but those 3 have some great tracks on them IMO. They really started going downhill after that, but the re-union album “Return Of The Boogie Men” was a nice return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know most people seem to really like the first 5 albums, but I think “Night Shift”, “Stone Blue” and “Boogie Motel” are all pretty strong as well. Maybe it is because that is when I discovered them, but those 3 have some great tracks on them IMO. They really started going downhill after that, but the re-union album “Return Of The Boogie Men” was a nice return to form.
    As far as this thread has been able to show, nobody really likes any Foghat album They're mostly OK

As for the next three, I would say they're pretty strong in terms of the Foghat ladder, but on my own ladder none of those first 8 albums are worthy of some shelf space... just the live album gets some grace .... and if it ever goes double, it will find some space (replacing the single)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, I really like Stone Blue, Live, Night Shift, and Fool for the City. In fact, I've been listening to these this past week because of this thread. Foghat were a great meat-and-potatoes boogie/blues rock band.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    that's mostly true, but they did have a song called 'Chateau Lafitte '59 Boogie' that has the same riff as ZZ Top's "La Grange" except it was reversed. I always thought that was clever and very effective. And they never claimed to BE prog, so who fucking cares? this is Off-Topic.
    Last edited by davis; 08-19-2016 at 04:22 PM.

I remember one of those early 80's grocery store rock magazines had an article about Pink Floyd where they got a quote from Roger Earl about what the late 60's London psych scene was like. Even then I thought that was kind of random.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As far as this thread has been able to show, nobody really likes any Foghat album They're mostly OK
    Not true Sean, they're just ok.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Not true Sean, they're just ok.
    that was my first choiv-ce of word

let's just say that they're mostly just OK

For the most part, their records were not as good as they were on stage. But you can find a lot of records that are worse. If you want more sophistication, you don't have to look far. Dave's Foghat was just great rock n roll. nothing more, nothing less. kind of like Chuck Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    For the most part, their records were not as good as they were on stage. But you can find a lot of records that are worse. If you want more sophistication, you don't have to look far. Dave's Foghat was just great rock n roll. nothing more, nothing less. kind of like Chuck Berry.
    Absolutely. Their music was made to be played live. When I saw them in 1978, it was just before they released Stone Blue. They played the title track, Sweet Home Chicago, and High on Love, and I think those all came across so much better in concert than on the record (though the record is very good, too).

I really enjoy everything they did up to and including "Live" but after that, not so much...

I have finally made it through the entire box set. I think the band’s output is pretty steady from the first album up through “Boogie Motel” in 1979. It starts to really fall off after that though when they tried to change their sound to reflect a more modern (at the time) sound. “Tight Shoes” is where this happens, and the quality falls way off. Rod Price leaves at the end of the tour,. Eric Cartwright enters and, although he is a talented guitarist they never really go back to what they were with Price. The last album of the set, “Zig Zag Walk” is an attempt at rockabilly that, although not terrible, does not really work. Overall though I enjoy the box, and am glad I purchased it.

I have finally made it through the entire box set. I think the band’s output is pretty steady from the first album up through “Boogie Motel” in 1979. It starts to really fall off after that though when they tried to change their sound to reflect a more modern (at the time) sound. “Tight Shoes” is where this happens, and the quality falls way off. Rod Price leaves at the end of the tour,. Eric Cartwright enters and, although he is a talented guitarist they never really go back to what they were with Price. The last album of the set, “Zig Zag Walk” is an attempt at rockabilly that, although not terrible, does not really work. Overall though I enjoy the box, and am glad I purchased it.
    I'd agree that Boogie Motel and Tight Shoes is the hinge where things went awry for them >> as if trying to punkish, abit like The Kinks had done with Low Budget >> shoes on the cover too)....

for over two decades, Tight Shoes is the last album I was aware they made...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd agree that Boogie Motel and Tight Shoes is the hinge where things went awry for them >> as if trying to punkish, abit like The Kinks had done with Low Budget >> shoes on the cover too)....

for over two decades, Tight Shoes is the last album I was aware they made...
    I still like “Boogie Motel” a lot. I was working on a radio station when it came out and we gave it quite a bit of airplay. The title track is over 7 minutes long and has some great Rod Price slide work in it. The only album after that I owned back in the day was “In The Mood For Something Rude” which I remember buying because I was seeing them live on the tour. I did not like it much back then and it has not aged particularly well. I had never heard “Tight Shoes”, (other than the single) until I purchased the box. It sounds like Foghat trying to be The Cars or something. A rather odd album IMO.

I had never heard “Tight Shoes”, (other than the single) until I purchased the box. It sounds like Foghat trying to be The Cars or something. A rather odd album IMO.
    A candidate for the "Most UN- album in a band's career" thread?

As for Foghat, what's not to like? Good time boogie/blues rock. But they were one of those bands that I only really needed a greatest-hits album, didn't need to have the entire collection. Didn't know Fu Manchu covered "Slow Ride", thanks for posting that! (I'm a huge FM fan)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    A candidate for the "Most UN- album in a band's career" thread?

As for Foghat, what's not to like? Good time boogie/blues rock. But they were one of those bands that I only really needed a greatest-hits album, didn't need to have the entire collection. Didn't know Fu Manchu covered "Slow Ride", thanks for posting that! (I'm a huge FM fan)
    "Slow Ride" is a new single by Fu Manchu, backed with "Future Transmitter." They are working on a new album, planned for release in April. More info here:

Hear Fu Manchu's New Cover of Foghat's 'Slow Ride'
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Foghat were doing some work at studio I worked at in the late 80's. Somebody in the band took a look at a beat up old Les Paul I was selling. He didn't buy it.

This is the sum total of my Foghat experience, and all I have to offer this thread - Being from Long Island, I'm sure I know more Foghat than I realize - osmosis and all that. But outside of Slow Ride, nothing comes to mind.

For those who are curious, the Les Paul ended up with the drummer of a band called Crotch Rot. I miss that guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    For those who are curious, the Les Paul ended up with the drummer of a band called Crotch Rot. I miss that guitar.
    I bet it ended up in a pawn shop within six months to pay for the drummer's rent.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I bet it ended up in a pawn shop within six months to pay for the drummer's rent.
    Probably. I went around tracking my old gear a while back. Reconnected with the Crotch Rot bassist on Facebook - hadn't spoken to him since I left the studio in 89 - and all he knows is the drummer moved to Europe. I'm thinking my guitar didn't go with him.

I also reached out to my old bass player about reacquiring my classic Big Muff if he didn't need it anymore; he responded with a picture of his son playing my first electric guitar thru it. I have a modern Big Muff replica now. Also, I found out where my first electric guitar went.