Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Roy Harper Albums Accoording to Mojo

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Top 10 Roy Harper Albums Accoording to Mojo

A pretty good roundup:

http://www.mojo4music.com/24458/roy-...eatest-albums/

You click through from album to album, but it seems like a benign clickthrough.

I'd have to have Bullinamingvase, and The Green Man in my top ten.

Flashes from the Archives of Oblivion is an egregious omission; I'd be inclined to favor, say, Dream Society, Unknown Soldier, and Once over some of the listings there, and what's a compilation doing in a Top 10 list?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

HQ should be rated higher

Agree that Jugula, Folkjokeopus, Beserk, Lifemask and Styorncock should be in there... Got a little more problems getting into HQ/Bulnamingsvase era stuff

Of this 90's and beyond, I've only heard Myth, it was OK, but no more
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd have Lifemask as my no. 2. Other than that I quite enjoyed the various writeoffs, except for the dubious 'Pink Floyd-collaborator' headline. Christ, they all looked up to the guy as a Saint already by 1970 - Gilmour, Page, Ian Anderson!

Could've been way worse, tho'. For instance if written by some 'well-known journalist' in Prog Mag or what the fuck ever.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I agree with this list, but in exactly the reverse order. Songs of Love and Loss, aside from being remixed, remastered and "rescupltured according to Harper," are a coherent collection of his love songs that make little sense when pasted on many of his past albums as they are an ongoing diary of his then current state the ups and downs of love life placed together for the first time to in their order of occurrence. The result is a remarkably cohesive statement about his life and the sound quality is of audiophile grade. I always felt that Stormcock was too verbose and plodding, even with the help of Jimmy Page's remarkable coda on the Same Old Rock. But that's how music works. Imagine if we all loved and hated exactly the same things?
    Last edited by StevegSr; 08-16-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Could've been way worse, tho'. For instance if written by some 'well-known journalist' in Prog Mag or what the fuck ever.
    I found Bent Knee because of fucking Prog mag.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Then Fucking Prog Mag is its new name.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Agree that Jugula, Folkjokeopus, Beserk, Lifemask and Styorncock should be in there... Got a little more problems getting into HQ/Bulnamingsvase era stuff

Of this 90's and beyond, I've only heard Myth, it was OK, but no more
    My preferences are similar to yours. Jugular is a favorite. I also love Born in Captivity. There's a lot this liist sort of seems to forget about like Loony on the Bus, but it's pretty damn hard to limit Roy Harper to only 10 albums. Descendants of Smith!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stormcock, Lifemask & HQ would top my list but I haven't got much beyond that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, you could've found out about them from here last year (a few threads were opened)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Then Fucking Prog Mag is its new name.

I'd say "Bloody Fucken Prog Rag"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What's the next logical step for someone who adores Stormcock but has nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    What's the next logical step for someone who adores Stormcock but has nothing else?
    Lifemask
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Lifemask
    Cool!

Lifemask
    or FolkeJokeOpus...

Well, you could've found out about them from here last year (a few threads were opened)
    Sometimes a good 4 page article does a trick better.

Btw. I think that all those cheap list articles that Prog magazine is putting out online are not doing them any favors. Actual magazine is better (although of course it also could be much better!)
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 08-12-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Sometimes a good 4 page article does a trick better.

Btw. I think that all those cheap list articles that Prog magazine is putting out are not doing them any favors. Actual magazine is better (although of course it also could be much better!)

It's probably been three years since I bought a Prog Rag Mag.... I'd even say that I buy its Classy-Crock mother mag more often nowadays (though maybe only once a year)

It's probably been three years since I bought a Prog Rag Mag.... I'd even say that I buy its Classy-Crock mother mag more often nowadays (though maybe only once a year)
    I am proud and happy Prog magazine subscriber.

`Death Or Glory' is a pretty miserable experience, no way would I put that in the Top 10. The gigs at the time were awful....the woman who had just ended their marriage was still his sound engineer...Roy was a wreck. How `Bullinamingvase' isn't in there at all is also a major oversight. Rather than `Valentine' I would recommend the Volume of BBC Sessions with the 1974 Peel sessions on...they are much better versions.

And it seems Roy just had his 75th birthday a few days ago and is rereleasing some classic albums on vinyl to celebrate.

It's a pretty fair list but The Green Man should be there near the top and I think there's a strong case to be made for Once near the bottom. It's interesting with Roy that nearly every fan is going to put Stormcock at number one, but after that there would be wide divergence with a lot of albums being named second and third.

An extremely hard album to find, Born In Captivity (1984) is the acoustic demos for the inferior Work of Heart released in 1982. Had Harper kept this material in it's original form, it would have easily rivaled Stormcock with Lifemask a close second. Perhaps you can get it as a download at Roy Harper's website.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 08-16-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    An extremely hard album to find, Born In Captivity (1984) is the acoustic demos for the inferior Work of Heart. released in 1982. Had Harper kept this material in it's original form, it would have easily rivaled Stormcock with Lifemask a close second. Perhaps you can get it as a download at Roy Harper's website.
    Looks like it's available on his site in CD or download format.
    Ian

Lifemask
    Lifemask is the best!