Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat Stevens : "A Cat's Attic: 50th Anniversary Tour"

If it's anything thing like the short U.S. tour he did nearly 2 years ago, I expect all shows will sell out in 5 minutes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I would also expect protesters to follow him around the country, based on you know what.
    Didn't happen 2 years ago, won't happen now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm going to do something crazy on this thread - such as replying to the OP. I'd go to the Toronto show if it weren't for a 5 hour drive (at least) and rush hour traffic. Too bad he couldn't make it to Ottawa.
    Sad how some here still need to bring up something from 27+ years ago. Haters gonna hate of course.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Talk about "bumper sticker mentality"!

If you properly read up on the crusades, you will find that the attacks on Muslims were in response to Muslims slaughtering Christians, Jews, and pretty much anyone who did not bow to Mohmmed and Allah. The Pope didn't just up and decide to slaughter millions of Muslims. The Muslims started the conquests and the Crusaders responded to turn back their "Jihad".
    My, you have a rather skewed perspective of history. I advise you to read source materials other than Fox News Historical Cliff Notes. The slaughter of Christians had nothing to do with Pope Urban II's call for a Crusade. Start with the 1st Crusade's Siege of Jerusalem in 1099 (wherein not just Muslims but Jews were slaughtered until, as one French knight put it, the Crusaders "were ankle deep in blood"), work your way forward to the 4th Crusade's Sack of Constantinople (where only Christians were slaughtered by the Crusaders), all the way to 9th Crusade where Crusaders spent most of the time burning crops and killing villagers. I can suggest a book list if you like.
    Last edited by The Dark Elf; 08-13-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

OT

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's the big, inflatable Salman Rushdie with glowing eyes...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    My, you have a rather skewed perspective of history. I advise you to read source materials other than Fox News Historical Cliff Notes. The slaughter of Christians had nothing to do with Pope Urban II's call for a Crusade. Start with the 1st Crusade's Siege of Jerusalem in 1099 (wherein not just Muslims but Jews were slaughtered until, as one French knight put it, the Crusaders "were ankle deep in blood"), work your way forward to the 4th Crusade's Sack of Constantinople (where only Christians were slaughtered by the Crusaders), all the way to 9th Crusade where Crusaders spent most of the time burning crops and killing villagers. I can suggest a book list if you like.
    I'm bein' followed by a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Wow! That's steep.
    Well I buckled and got balcony seats for $120 - 4th row centre so not bad seats.

Still more money than I'd like to pay but I've never seen him so my willpower didn't hold up.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Well I buckled and got balcony seats for $120 - 4th row centre so not bad seats.

Still more money than I'd like to pay but I've never seen him so my willpower didn't hold up.
    Enjoy the show!

I'm a huge fan, but the video when they ask him about Rushdie burning in effigy and the answer he gives is quite chilling and disturbing. I can see how it's really turned people off to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    If it's anything thing like the short U.S. tour he did nearly 2 years ago, I expect all shows will sell out in 5 minutes again.

Didn't happen 2 years ago, won't happen now.

Sad how some here still need to bring up something from 27+ years ago. Haters gonna hate of course.
    And yet when someone here brings up something from over *1200* years ago, he gets a pass from your snark. You guys are consistent. I'll give you that.

No love for the former Cat here. Possibly another smart Islamic fanatic who will use those bloated proceeds from his shows to sponsor terrorism. From what I've read about him, I wouldn't be surprised. OK now that I've said that I expect to be beheaded here. Ride on Peace Train...yeah, right!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    No love for the former Cat here. Possibly another smart Islamic fanatic who will use those bloated proceeds from his shows to sponsor terrorism. From what I've read about him, I wouldn't be surprised. OK now that I've said that I expect to be beheaded here. Ride on Peace Train...yeah, right!
    Wow, just wow. I hope ignorance is bliss, like the saying goes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I would guess his proceeds will go to pay for his food, tea, Netflix, etc.

Do people really still think this in 2016? Cat Stevens never called for the killing of Rushdie. That was a bogus story. Do some reading people! Cat himself has explained the silly story long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Do people really still think this in 2016? Cat Stevens never called for the killing of Rushdie. That was a bogus story. Do some reading people! Cat himself has explained the silly story long ago.
    +1! Finally someone to put words straight, right and true, about such a great musician that he was and will ever be.

P.S.: There is a quoting that I read somewhere on PE's that is 'top-notch' but don't know yet who wrote it:
    "What music is supposed to unit, Man should not take apart".
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

It's not quite that simple, as I recall.

After the fatwa was issued, the media asked Yusuf if he supported the judgment of the clerics. While I don't think that he explicitly stated that Rushdie deserved to die, he would finesse the question by saying something to the effect that under Sharia, the penalty for defaming the prophet is death. So while he didn't jump on a soap box and shout, "Who will rid me of this meddlesome author!?," he essentially said, "This is what Islamic law calls for, and I am a believer in Islam."

There was a reason for the outcry in the media, and a souring of popular opinion where he is concerned, regardless of how he chooses to characterize it now.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 08-16-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: grammar

I believe John Lennon & Cat Stevens were similarly done a disservice by a news medium looking to sell stories & increase revenue.

If you go back to John Lennon & his "bigger than Jesus" interview, his actual statement was in regards to how the Beatles were viewed by some people as more important than Jesus. AND he was criticizing that attitude. Yet it was somehow mistranslated, although both interviewer & interviewee spoke the same language, that JL felt that they were bigger than Jesus.

As for Cat Stevens, he expressly did not call for the death of Salman Rushdie. But neither did he say that such a philosophy was intolerable. He couldn't, because he would have labeled his religious faith as one without tolerance. As a religious man, he was simply connecting the dots for what he perceived was an ignorant audience: Islam advocates death to blasphemers. Salman Rushdie is a blasphemer. Therefore... His religion put shackles on his ability to reason for himself what is right & what is wrong. This is what happens to a great many (not all) people who are advocates of organized religion: they give up their freedom of thought and ability to reason for themselves to others who say they are in direct communion with god.

Look up Christopher Hitchens.

3.... 2....
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

He can take his ticket prices and shove them up his ass. Just like Gilmour's prices. What a joke!!!!

Doesn't fit the narrative, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"His religion put shackles on his ability to reason for himself what is right & what is wrong. "

That's hardly an excuse though. Not sure you're saying it is, but I certainly don't.

There are excuses. And there are reasons.

Make no mistake, I wasn't excusing him. I am trying to understand that kind of religious absolutism. And, I am willing to accept it, as long as the adherents keep to themselves. And stay out of politics.

I can also understand his bumbling statements, & attempts at explaining his statements, as well as his attempts at explaining his explanations, as a manifestation of youthful indiscretion. I've done a lot of dumb-ass things in my life I wish never happened.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Make no mistake, I wasn't excusing him. I am trying to understand that kind of religious absolutism. And, I am willing to accept it, as long as the adherents keep to themselves. And stay out of politics.

I can also understand his bumbling statements, & attempts at explaining his statements, as well as his attempts at explaining his explanations, as a manifestation of youthful indiscretion. I've done a lot of dumb-ass things in my life I wish never happened.
    youthful indiscretion???!!?? CS/YI was no spring chicken when the Rushdie debacle occurred.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

It has to be something of a balancing act for him, too, considering that he's bound to be scrutinized by quite a few adherents of his adopted faith let alone those who knew him as Cat Stevens. He very probably wasn't considering all of the ramifications of this when he first spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    ...he's bound to be scrutinized by quite a few adherents of his adopted faith
    In defense of his detractors, MORE Muslims need to come out, vociferously, against the barbaric imposition of Sharia law advocated by the extremists. There's been IMO too much fear of being scrutinized by other adherents.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are excuses. And there are reasons.
    Only for the blind. And as a fellow Liberal, I'm disgusted by the the viewpoint that you've hinted at, and has in a wider way been expressed by the Democratic party and Liberal media outlets. What's Liberal in 2016 sure ain't what was Liberal in the 70s, and I find myself more and more outside the current Democratic mainstream. Not that the whackos in the Republican Party would be an acceptable alternative.