Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Every Jethro Tull album ranked from worst to best!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it one person's list, or based on some kind of voting?
    Oh, I'm sure it's submitted to the very same level of analytical scrutiny as when those mean Classic Rockers awarded the second and third Egg albums two stars due to the band "obviously not having understood what made ELP so fantastic". I sure wonder what their argument would be if they were to attempt reviewing something by Xenakis or Partch or Ives or Nancarrow.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    When having this conversation, the two always seem to be at the top of some and the bottom of others is Passion Play / Minstrel. Minstrel people aren't as strong on Passion and Passion people usually pass over Minstrel. Interesting.
    Count me in the APP camp. For some reason, Minstrel never caught on with me. Find much of it rather boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I sure wonder what their argument would be if they were to attempt reviewing something by Xenakis or Partch or Ives or Nancarrow.
    Xenakis: "So random! My six-year-old could spatter notes and call it stochastic."
    Partch: "Learn to play in tune, guys."
    Ives: "I think my copy of the CD is defective, it's got two different pieces playing at once."
    Nancarrow: "This may have sounded impressive in the '50s, but nowadays everybody's got a studio app and can make wacky stuff."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Oh, I'm sure it's submitted to the very same level of analytical scrutiny as when those mean Classic Rockers awarded the second and third Egg albums two stars due to the band "obviously not having understood what made ELP so fantastic". I sure wonder what their argument would be if they were to attempt reviewing something by Xenakis or Partch or Ives or Nancarrow.
    I fully agree with the two-star rating for Egg album #2, and I'd have no problem writing about Ives, Xenakis, etc. (though implying that either Egg or ELP are deserving of that kind of analysis is pretty silly, IMO. They're rock bands).

Broadsword and Too Old to RnR are way too high on the list (compared to where I would place them, of course)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I fully agree with the two-star rating for Egg album #2, and I'd have no problem writing about Ives, Xenakis, etc. (though implying that either Egg or ELP are deserving of that kind of analysis is pretty silly, IMO. They're rock bands).
    But you see, you yourself would most likely have some rather reasonable and relatively insightful basis and argument for your opinion - and acknowledge how subjective judgement rarely rests on a term not even inherent in the very intentions of the object at hand. As for the contemporary music analogy, that was indeed somewhat crude, I suppose; what I was actually implying was that you wouldn't normally flog a Partch or Nancarrow composition for not aspiring to be Mozart or Beethoven.

And I'd gladly give Egg's second album five fucking stars and know how come.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I only rank the band according to their remixed album sets. Too many songs missing on the original albums alone. If there's a song that sounds a bit commercial, I just put it down to the band trying something different or trying to get extra cash

Ok here's my remix ratings with original album ratings in brackets. Ive also done the first two remastered albums. I've only included 1 version of any studio song from the 2 cds of every remix and ignored any multiple versions. So I have used quads or early versions occasionally. I have also ignored repeated compositions from chateau tapes which are on A passion play. Didn't bother with Sunshine day or 17 which sound like 1965 music

This was 7.5/10. An album and a half of studio tracks(6.5/10)
    Stand up 8/10. An album and a half of studio tracks(7/10)
    Benefit 8/10. An album and a half of studio tracks(7/10)
    Aqualing 9/10. Two albums worth of studio tracks(7.5/10)
    Thick as a brick 9/10
    A passion play 8.5/10. Two albums worth of studio tracks(8/10)
    Warchild 8.5/10. Two albums worth of studio tracks and one orchestral album(7/10)
    Minstrel 7.5/10. One extra track(7/10)
    Too old 8/10. An album and a half of studio tracks(6.5/10)
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 08-11-2016 at 06:34 AM.

These are the lists for each album session I've used in my iPod. Once the remixes have all been done I can add the other albums

My Sunday Feeling
    Some Day the Sun Won't Shine
    Beggars Farm
    Move On Alone
    Serenade To a Cuckoo
    Dharma For One
    It's Breaking Me Up
    Cat's Squirrel
    A Song For Jeffrey
    Round
    Love Story
    Christmas Song
    One For John Gee

A New Day Yesterday
    Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square
    Bouree
    Back To The Family
    Look Into The Sun
    Nothing Is Easy
    Fat Man
    We Used To Know
    Reasons For Waiting
    For A Thousand Mothers
    Living In The Past
    Driving Song
    Sweet Dream

With You There To Help Me
    Nothing To Say
    Alive And Well And Living In
    Son
    For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me
    To Cry You A Song
    A Time for Everything?
    Inside
    Play In Time
    "Sossity; You re a Woman
    Singing All Day
    Witches promise
    Teacher

Aqualung
    Cross-Eyed Mary
    Cheap Day Return
    Mother Goose
    Wond'ring Aloud
    Up To Me
    My God (Quad)
    Hymn 43 (Quad)
    Slipstream
    Locomotive Breath (Quad)
    Wind-Up (Early)
    Lick Your Fingers Clean
    Just Trying To Be
    Wond'ring Again
    Slipstream (Take 2)
    Life Is A Long Song
    Up The 'Pool
    Dr Bogenbroom
    From Later
    Nursie

Thick as a brick

A passion play(inc. foot of our stairs extension)
    The Big Top
    Scenario
    Audition
    Sailor
    No Rehearsal
    Left Right
    Animelee (1st Dance)
    Animelee (2nd Dance)

WarChild
    Queen and Country
    Ladies
    Back-door Angels
    SeaLion
    Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day
    Bungle in the Jungle
    Only Solitaire
    The Third Hoorah
    Two Fingers
    Paradise Steakhouse
    Saturation
    Good Godmother
    SeaLion II
    Quartet
    WarChild II
    Tomorrow Was Today
    Glory Row
    March, The Mad Scientist
    Rainbow Blues

Pan Dance
    The Orchestral WarChild Theme
    The Third Hoorah
    Mime Sequence
    Field Dance
    The Beach (Pt. I)
    The Beach (Pt. II)
    Waltz Of The Angels

Minstrel In The Gallery
    Cold Wind To Valhalla
    Black Satin Dancer
    Requiem
    One White Duck/010 = Nothing At All
    Baker St. Muse
    Grace
    Summerday Sands

Prelude
    Quiz Kid
    Crazed Institution
    Salamander
    Taxi Grab
    From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser
    Bad-Eyed And Loveless
    Big Dipper
    Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die!
    Pied Piper
    The Chequered Flag
    Salamander's Rag Time
    Commercial Traveller
    Strip Cartoon
    A Small Cigar (Orchestrated Version)
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 08-11-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Xenakis: "So random! My six-year-old could spatter notes and call it stochastic."
    Partch: "Learn to play in tune, guys."
    Ives: "I think my copy of the CD is defective, it's got two different pieces playing at once."
    Nancarrow: "This may have sounded impressive in the '50s, but nowadays everybody's got a studio app and can make wacky stuff."
    You should be editor-in-chief of teamrock.com!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    You should be editor-in-chief of teamrock.com!
    Except that they arguably wouldn't know "stochastic".

Listened to Heavy Horses last night in honor of this thread.

I might have to consider placing it a bit higher in my rankings. Wow! After all this time it still totally blew me away.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

I might have to consider placing it a bit higher in my rankings. Wow! After all this time it still totally blew me away.
    IMO it's the Tull album that holds up the best today. I don't love the title track (usually skip it), but everything else - awesome. I used to buy in to the idea that it was part of a pair (with SftW), but over time I find that the similarities are more on the surface than anything else. For the most part, HH is leaner, tougher, and more human. By comparison, SftW has a more "arranged" and polished sound.

IMO it's the Tull album that holds up the best today. I don't love the title track (usually skip it), but everything else - awesome. I used to buy in to the idea that it was part of a pair (with SftW), but over time I find that the similarities are more on the surface than anything else. For the most part, HH is leaner, tougher, and more human. By comparison, SftW has a more "arranged" and polished sound.
    It had been a couple years (at least) since I listened to it as a whole. I wasn't prepared for just how well it has, in fact, held up. Songs From The Wood is amazing but damn - maybe I like Heavy Horses better after all!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

This is actually kinda cool, as "One Brown Mouse" was streaming from an open window in my neighbouring apartment building as I was returning from a run just now!

It's a great album. Less overtly "prog" than SftW, but with better folk-pop input ("Acres Wild", "Mouse" etc.).

^ Who ya' running from?

I think I would pick 'Wood' over 'Horses', but we're only talking two or three C.H.'s

Love 'em both to snot.

PS - "Velvet Green" might be my favorite IA composition of all time - notice I said might.

My top 5 would include (on any particular day)
    This Was
    Stand Up
    Benefit
    Living In The Past (4th side is my fav of all Tull)
    Minstrel In the Gallery
    Under Wraps (great songwriting)

the rest are the rest~
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

This is actually kinda cool, as "One Brown Mouse" was streaming from an open window in my neighbouring apartment building as I was returning from a run just now!

It's a great album. Less overtly "prog" than SftW, but with better folk-pop input ("Acres Wild", "Mouse" etc.).
    PS- Richard - I watched a few docs on the Lofoten Islands - holy fucking Mary's jugs, batman. Just unbelievably gorgeous - seriously has to be in the top 10 most gorgeous places on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ Who ya' running from? [...] snot.
    Oh, iwuzz Chichen Itza's feet carrying Yamishogun's lovely belly with Dame Edna's bosom and a donkey's skull equipped with Rufus' brain in it. The head fell off during flight, btw - yet the thing kept charging.

Oh, iwuzz Chichen Itza's feet carrying Yamishogun's lovely belly with Dame Edna's bosom and a donkey's skull equipped with Rufus' brain in it. The head fell off during flight, btw - yet the thing kept charging.
    I actually knew that. I just wasn't sure if it was a donkey, ass, or rectum.....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    the Lofoten Islands - holy fucking Mary's jugs, batman. Just unbelievably gorgeous - seriously has to be in the top 10 most gorgeous places on Earth.
    It probably is. You know, even here this is a trip to save your assets for, but the true experience would be to board the Hurtigruten coastal cruise (starting in Bergen, my initial hometown) and catch the full blow of Valhallan nature from deck. You'd reach Lofoten after some five days, and they tell me it's pretty damn spectacular. Costly, though. I've only taken the liner from Bergen to Molde off season while doing my service back in '94/5, still even THAT was something to really remember.

5 ESSENTIAL:

Aqualung, Stand Up, Thick as a Brick, Songs From The Wood and Passion Play

5 MORE GREAT ALBUMS:

Minstrel...., Heavy Horses, Benefit, Stormwatch and This Was

5 PRETTY GOOD ALBUMS:

Broadsword, Warchild, A, Crest of a Knave and Too Old To Rock...

5 MEH, I can take them or leave them albums:

Dot Com, Under Wraps, Rock Island, Roots To Branches and Catfish Rising

Oh and the Christmas album is nice!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

The person was actually still blasting Tull out his window when I hit the sack at 01:37 AM this morning. He played almost the entire TaaB! I don't think I've ever really had that experience before; someone terrorizing the neighbourhood with sound that's actually this close to heart. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post

5 MEH, I can take them or leave them albums:

Dot Com, Under Wraps, Rock Island, Roots To Branches and Catfish Rising
    Can I urge you to re-listen to Roots To Branches with fresh ears?? It's likely to jump at least one echelon of your, if not even two.

I mean, to my eyes, it's hurting them to see RTB lumped in with the other four (two of which are really down the Tull ladder)
    Last edited by Trane; 08-13-2016 at 02:20 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I absolutely love the title track of Heavy Horses. Having been around horses I can relate to it and I think Ian hit the nail right on the head with the lyrics and the music. The album is great also.