Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miles Davis. Miles Davis. Miles Davis.

Miles Davis. Miles Davis. Miles Davis.

Let's talk about Miles Davis. You start.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Do you mean Miles Davis?
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Friend.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm a fan!

cd.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Didn't like it. Liked his music. Didn't like some of his music. Like a big chunk of his music.
    Pretty much sums up the last 50 years.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The only phase of his work i haven't chosen to check out is his last.Some people whose taste i respect tell me i should; that there are some gems among the dross.

Maybe.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

How come this is Off-Topic? The man embodied progressive like nobody else.

Anyway, the last time there was a Miles thread here, I was thinking about last year's Tokyo official bootleg since it came from right around Agharta/Pangaea time. It's become a great part of the summer soundtrack. If anyone else considers this phase the kind of thing you can never have too much of, I'd say it's well worth a look.

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...spc-012CD.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    The only phase of his work i haven't chosen to check out is his last.Some people whose taste i respect tell me i should; that there are some gems among the dross.
    True, but not something I'd push someone towards if they're not already curious. There's already enough pre-retirement stuff to last you.... well, all your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    True, this is a progressive music site, not prog rock only, as he stretches so many genres. If the admins like to move that's fine with me.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

Anyway, the last time there was a Miles thread here, I was thinking about last year's Tokyo official bootleg since it came from right around Agharta/Pangaea time. It's become a great part of the summer soundtrack. If anyone else considers this phase the kind of thing you can never have too much of, I'd say it's well worth a look.

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...spc-012CD.aspx
    Not sure I'd say that was an "official bootleg" as it's on one of those iffy labels. I didn't pick it up because of the reviews that claimed it wasn't too great-sounding.

Like Kind of Blue I like some of In A Silent Way. I like about half of Sketches of Spain.
    Bop that is strictly blowing for blowing's sake, not so much.
    His mellow stuff can be sublime, primarily because he is making each note count rather than trying to count as many notes as possible.
    The stuff used on the Lincoln commercials with Matthew McCaughnehey (sp?) from a French soundtrack is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Not sure I'd say that was an "official bootleg" as it's on one of those iffy labels. I didn't pick it up because of the reviews that claimed it wasn't too great-sounding.
    The quality sounds fine to me. I saw it's a small label, but didn't get the impression it was dodgy or anything... then again, I didn't put much thought into that partly because it's not a living artist dependent on the income or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The stuff used on the Lincoln commercials with Matthew McCaughnehey (sp?) from a French soundtrack is really nice.
    Really? It must be the one about the scaffold (the title's escaping me right now). That's good stuff, but somehow I feel sad at the thought of it being used in a commercial.
    Last edited by Spiral; 08-09-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Big fan of his works from In a Silent way to Decoy (included). The albums after I dont like.
    Kind of Blue, Scetches of Spain are also very good, but not the kind I listen a lot to.

The Live in Tokyo '75 release was talked about here:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-label.494843/

I consider the Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams band to be the best small group Jazz that has ever existed.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Can we have a Miles Davis VS something thread?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Godzilla, for instance?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

How about a Miles Davis VS OP - Miles Davis + Freddie Hubbard?

Hmm...Miles Davis vs. John Coltrane? Nah, doesn't work for me.

Liked his Avant - Garde period. Have only heard bits and pieces of his other phases. Tribute To Jack Johnson and Bitches Brew are two of my favorites. I believe he was a real innovator and the Godfather of fusion. We all are aware that his off spring formed innovative bands like Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tony Williams Lifetime, and Return To Forever. He was definitely an inspiration to many of the 70's fusion musicians and changed music regarding the way patterns Were used/applied prior to his entry to the Jazz Fusion scene. I am still curious if it has ever been confirmed that he jammed with Jimi Hendrix and if recordings were made?????

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I am still curious if it has ever been confirmed that he jammed with Jimi Hendrix and if recordings were made?????
    Unfortunately, it never happened, but people (like me) still dream a nice dream.

Hell of a boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hell of a boxer.
    The single most influential musician of jazz fusion was also a boxer? Pray tell!

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    The single most influential musician of jazz fusion was also a boxer? Pray tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Every picture really doesn't tell a story. Davis often compared boxing to jazz, the ebb and flow of the music "that jazz player's are always adding to." That's what's most significant about Miles and boxing.

I tried numerous times to get into Miles but alas he's just not for me I guess. Maybe someday I'll get him. Arguably the greatest jazz musician of all time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk