Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Miles Davis. Miles Davis. Miles Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    Lester did a follow-up review years later where he changes his original opinion:
    That 1981 article, which I did not encounter until it was collected in that book, is fascinating, too. Bangs doesn't so much change his opinion of Miles's electric music as come to accept it as meaningful, as a misanthropic and alienated reflection of a soulless urban scene. (The title of the article as reprinted in the book--which may not be the title it was originally published under--is "Miles Davis: Music for the Living Dead.") Bangs actually restates a number of similes and descriptions he had used in the 1976 article, notably the extended image of the emotional heart of Miles's music being crushed by an unimaginably powerful and malevolent hand into a hard black lump spinning alone in space.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

There is an interesting live Miles Davis release pencilled in for late July, that fills in the gap between Live-Evil (November 1971) and On the Corner (October 1972). It’s called The Lost Septet and is released by Sleepy Nights Records (which presumably is a legit company, as a recent release of its The Lost Quintet CD is still available through all regular sites). The ‘lost septet’ here is the crew that recorded the Cellar Door concerts, but without John McLaughlin and with newcomers Ndugu Chandler on drums, Don Alias on percussion and Mtume on percussion too. As far as I can see this is the only recording there is with Chandler on drums (as he is replaced by Al Foster for On the Corner). The concert was recorded in 5 November, 1971, for an Austrian radio station. Apparently Chandler and Jarrett did not get on too well and there was ongoing conflict between the two, which added an edge to some of the concerts (which could be hit or miss affairs). Chandler, who had recorded earlier with Herbie Hancock, was more rock-orientated that DeJohnette, so this new double CD release sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    To me, the extra stuff in the OTC box is better than the album.
    I wasn’t a big fan of On the Corner, but I love Get Up with It. I see all but one of the tracks from Get Up with It are found on the OTC Complete Sessions boxset.
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    It’s called The Lost Septet and is released by Sleepy Nights Records (which presumably is a legit company, as a recent release of its The Lost Quintet CD is still available through all regular sites).
    Looks like a bootleg label to me. Discogs slaps the "unofficial" label on at least some of their releases, and one user reports that Lost Quintet CD as being a CD-R. Surely anything legit from that era would have to be on Columbia/Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Looks like a bootleg label to me. Discogs slaps the "unofficial" label on at least some of their releases, and one user reports that Lost Quintet CD as being a CD-R. Surely anything legit from that era would have to be on Columbia/Sony.
    Some of this was released on the bootleg JMY label 20 or so years ago.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

There is an interesting live Miles Davis release pencilled in for late July, that fills in the gap between Live-Evil (November 1971) and On the Corner (October 1972). It’s called The Lost Septet and is released by Sleepy Nights Records (which presumably is a legit company, as a recent release of its The Lost Quintet CD is still available through all regular sites). The ‘lost septet’ here is the crew that recorded the Cellar Door concerts, but without John McLaughlin and with newcomers Ndugu Chandler on drums, Don Alias on percussion and Mtume on percussion too. As far as I can see this is the only recording there is with Chandler on drums (as he is replaced by Al Foster for On the Corner). The concert was recorded in 5 November, 1971, for an Austrian radio station. Apparently Chandler and Jarrett did not get on too well and there was ongoing conflict between the two, which added an edge to some of the concerts (which could be hit or miss affairs). Chandler, who had recorded earlier with Herbie Hancock, was more rock-orientated that DeJohnette, so this new double CD release sounds promising.
    Interesting. I do have a (shady) Japanese box set release which has live shows between 1970-1973 and there is an October 1971 date in Switzerland with Chandler (and the septet) on it. It says in the booklet that Chandler was "sacked" upon returning to the U.S. and replaced by DeJohnette. It doesn't contain the whole concert (apparently there were two sets and seems to contain music from both).

https://www.kind-of-blue.de/seiten/b...0_1973_box.htm

I found the concert on YT:

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Interesting. I do have a (shady) Japanese box set release which has live shows between 1970-1973 and there is an October 1971 date in Switzerland with Chandler (and the septet) on it. It says in the booklet that Chandler was "sacked" upon returning to the U.S. and replaced by DeJohnette. It doesn't contain the whole concert (apparently there were two sets and seems to contain music from both).

Great YT clips. Thanks. It sounds like a good band; love the two percussionists. I will have to wrestle with my conscience whether to get the bootleg when it is released next month or not, although I wouldn’t go for a CD-R.

In Paul Tingen’s book, Miles Beyond, Tingen writes: “By this stage [in late November, 1971, after the tour], the internal tensions manifested in a rift between Jarrett and Chancler. ‘Keith never liked my playing, and I can understand why,” said Chancler. ‘He’d played with Jack (DeJohnette) for years. That was a hard adjustment for him.’ So Keith told Miles, ‘Either he goes or I go.’ And that’s all it was. Miles told Keith, ‘If you can get Jack back you get him. Miles liked me but Keith had seniority. Keith was making the most money, he had seniority of all the guys in the band. So Jack came back for a few gigs.’”

However, by the time of the first studio recordings in 1972 (which took place on March 9, when Red China Blues was recorded), Al Foster was the drummer. He played with Davis until early 1984.
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

Someone on Amazon complained that their copy of that Lost Quintet release showed up as a blank CD-R.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Someone on Amazon complained that their copy of that Lost Quintet release showed up as a blank CD-R.
    We told you it was lost.

In Paul Tingen’s book, Miles Beyond, Tingen writes: “By this stage [in late November, 1971, after the tour], the internal tensions manifested in a rift between Jarrett and Chancler. ‘Keith never liked my playing, and I can understand why,” said Chancler. ‘He’d played with Jack (DeJohnette) for years. That was a hard adjustment for him.’ So Keith told Miles, ‘Either he goes or I go.’ And that’s all it was. Miles told Keith, ‘If you can get Jack back you get him. Miles liked me but Keith had seniority. Keith was making the most money, he had seniority of all the guys in the band. So Jack came back for a few gigs.’”
    There were a lot of radio broadcasts from that tour. Setlist and playing style was similar to the Cellar Door Sessions and Ndugu does sound lost at times trying to fill Jack DeJohnette's shoes.

Incidentally, Keith Jarrett recorded his first solo piano album Facing You for ECM in Oslo on an off day during this tour.
    Last edited by pb2015; 06-28-2020 at 07:53 PM.

So, this set is outstanding. Absolutely loved it!

I see, however, that a new account on Discogs has listed it as 'still sealed' for $350. He clearly got it from this sale and is now turning around and looking to profit to the tune of about $260. I know he's not technically doing anything wrong, but I hope nobody gets fleeced at that price. People missed out on this when it sold out and their orders were canceled, so that sucks.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Well, I finally ordered the boxsets I didn't already have. Well most of them. I ordered the Miles & Trane set, Seven Steps From Heaven, the Jack Johnson set, and the Second Great Quintet set from the Miles webstore, and I got the e-mail yesterday that they're shpping. Unfortunately, I didn't get the e-mail with the discount code for my first order, so I didn't get my 15% discount, but I'm still paying way less than what I would if I bought these sets off Amazon or some place else.

And I order the Miles & Gil set from a seller on Amazon, second hand, even shipping and sales tax, I paid about 20 bucks less than what it was going for on the Miles webstore. That arrived the other day, and I've been acquainting myself with the material (or reacquainting, in the case of Sketches Of Spain).

This will leave only the On The Corner box as the only one I dont' have, and probably won't be able to get, unless someone decides to let their copy go for a reasonable price.

I just wish I could find my Cellar Door Sessions box. I've misplaced somewhere in this house.