Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever Avoid a CD After Reading About It Here?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Synths; check! ... no Sax; check! ... electric Bass; check!
    Missed a TON of good material by those criteria, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    but I missed *more* awful material by keeping that criteria back before the interwebs

now, with the ability to hear before I buy, I actually have purchased things that go against that 70s and 80s criteria and love them!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I usually avoid the ones that have a 100 page thread about how great it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I usually avoid the ones that have a 100 page thread about how great it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So pretty much every new Yes release?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If a review piques my curiosity then I'll look for samples of the music online. I refuse to buy anything I have not heard at all -- too much money wasted in the past because of reviews that called an album "a mellotron-drenched lost classic". In other words, a poorly recorded and muddy mess of songs that might sound like Genesis if you suffered a head injury before listening.
    Last edited by Splicer; 09-22-2016 at 06:42 AM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    but I missed *more* awful material by keeping that criteria back before the interwebs

now, with the ability to hear before I buy, I actually have purchased things that go against that 70s and 80s criteria and love them!

indeed, line-ups and instruments were one of my selection criteria before the internet days... Length or tracks and artworks were also of help.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Why "new"??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Haven't read all the threads, but usually it's the comparisons that get me. If something is compared to a band that I haven't had success with, then I might avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Being a huge yes fan from the 70's I went against my every instinct and decided when I saw a copy of the much raved about new Jon Anderson Roine Stolt cd and I had one of those you idiot moments when I couldn't get through it one time. Tried several times again and find it to sound like Jon noodling over Roine attempting to write music to it. I need to listen to my own advice more often.

Being as vehemently contrarian as I am destined to, I noted the intensely bad reviews in here for Heaven and Earth and immediately went to the store and got six copies of it. Boy, was I ever disappointed and wildly surprised on putting it on. I only kept two copies.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Being a huge yes fan from the 70's I went against my every instinct and decided when I saw a copy of the much raved about new Jon Anderson Roine Stolt cd and I had one of those you idiot moments when I couldn't get through it one time. Tried several times again and find it to sound like Jon noodling over Roine attempting to write music to it. I need to listen to my own advice more often.

When I started listening to "Invention of Knowledge" in bed in the dark on headphones, it opened up beautifully. Now I love that album.

I understand that following a majority of people's preferences, fans of Prog on posts, people reviewing....is not logically precise in all areas of what's being written. I believe that pertains to their lack of knowledge academically in their ability to understanding the science of music. It is not their job to do that ...I understand....however I do find myself in a position where a statement will be made about an artist's music ...two or three times in a review and I'll have to pick up an instrument to nail the wrongness of what they've said.

Some reviews are spot on and the reviewer keeps an open mind to the subject. Some reviewers are a bit over the top with their personal preference attitude. Then it's up to you to weed through that. I can't count the amount of times friends were over my house hearing an album which is great and throwing a hissy fit over passing on it because they read bad reviews. Happens all the time...so you must figure out the reviewers position too....otherwise you may trust their word as gospel.

I never trust a review which tells us that certain complex note patterns are meaningless versions of Classical compositions....( in so many words), because that may be their personal snobbery. That attitude smells of composing the next genius composition of the times and it's motive is to humiliate the musician because in the reviewers mind....everything has already been done. So they come across with an academically important method applied in the curriculum of a conservatory ..but they don't play an instrument themselves. I accept that they don't and I respect their intelligence. I'm just saying that you have to look out for these things, otherwise you might be lured into someone else's vision of art and remain a little off balance with your own.