Thread: Steven Wilson Facebook Q&A event

Steven Wilson Facebook Q&A event

I didn't see this posted elsewhere. Steven did a 1-hour Q&A event on Facebook a day or two ago, taking questions that had been sent in prior to the event, as well as questions that people typed in while listening. It was very interesting. A few points that stuck with me include:

- He's working on the new album.
    - He won't preview any new songs at the upcoming US shows.
    - Unsure whether Marco or Guthrie would take part in the new album. He stated that he expected that the album would feature his current touring band, Ninet, and maybe others.

Of course, lots of other stuff was discussed. I was impressed with his answers. The entire event can be viewed from his Facebook page.

Boo to all except the first point...maybe...we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Boo to all except the first point...maybe...we'll see.
    I have to admit that I was disappointed with the point about Marco and Guthrie. He was non-committal when asked, but he didn't seem to display a lot of enthusiasm for the idea. I was sad that they were absent from last summer's US tour due to prior commitments, but assumed that they would still be recording with him in future.

He pretty much said PT is done!

You can watch it here, a good interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUR0...st=WL&index=17

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    He pretty much said PT is done!
    Good. Who cares? If he wants he can play those songs AND incorporate better musicians within them.

Steven Wilson - Facebook Q&A

SW conducted an hour's worth of Q&A on Facebook the other day, based on questions submitted beforehand and also questions coming in live.

Some interesting points;

- when asked about Porcupine Tree dates, his answer was "You'll be waiting a long time mate, that band no longer exists."

- the proposals to film a date on the HCE tour fell through because of the astronomical budget needed for the venue he'd considered, on the basis of it being something different from the usual type of live venue. So no dvd from this tour. Possibly one from the next album cycle.

- he feels the market has dropped out of live dvds as people prefer to go to Youtube

- no vinyl reissues of PTree albums. Warners own the catalogue and have been tied up in years of litigation over being made to sell their assets via monopolies legislation

- the next solo album will have a more electronic feel to it. It will be more diverse, so it will include the current band but hopefully previous band members as well, and Ninet will have a more prominent role.

- he admitted to using autotune, albeit briefly, to fix a vocal take. He argued that it was the take with the most feeling and the one that felt right for the sequence, but he was out of tune and it needed fixed.

- SW hasn't ruled out a second Storm Corrosion collaboration, but the criteria are that he and Akerfeldt need to find time to just sit down and experiment, and even then, if they don't like the results it doesn't get released.

- he responded very favourably to suggestion that he should do another Bass Communion album soon

- top of his wish list to remix, is Kate Bush's catalogue. He's made overtures to her team but she's turned him down.

- no interest in collaborating with either Gilmour or Waters. He argues that the music that inspired him most was the seventies albums, a creative peak which he feels neither musician could emulate this far down the line. But he emphasised this was purely a creative view and not any disrespect to the music.

- his preferred collaborators would be Akerfeldt, Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada, all of whom he feels are at a creative peak right now.

Lots more interesting stuff, runs for an hour and can be streamed from his Facebook page.

I look forward to the new album!

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I didn't see this posted elsewhere. e.
    We must have posted at the same time, as there are now two threads. Anyway, in the interests of amity I've copied my detailed summary into this thread:

SW conducted an hour's worth of Q&A on Facebook the other day, based on questions submitted beforehand and also questions coming in live.

Some interesting points;

- when asked about Porcupine Tree dates, his answer was "You'll be waiting a long time mate, that band no longer exists."

- the proposals to film a date on the HCE tour fell through because of the astronomical budget needed for the venue he'd considered, on the basis of it being something different from the usual type of live venue. So no dvd from this tour. Possibly one from the next album cycle.

- he feels the market has dropped out of live dvds as people prefer to go to Youtube

- no vinyl reissues of PTree albums. Warners own the catalogue and have been tied up in years of litigation over being made to sell their assets via monopolies legislation

- the next solo album will have a more electronic feel to it. It will be more diverse, so it will include the current band but hopefully previous band members as well, and Ninet will have a more prominent role.

- he admitted to using autotune, albeit briefly, to fix a vocal take. He argued that it was the take with the most feeling and the one that felt right for the sequence, but he was out of tune and it needed fixed.

- SW hasn't ruled out a second Storm Corrosion collaboration, but the criteria are that he and Akerfeldt need to find time to just sit down and experiment, and even then, if they don't like the results it doesn't get released.

- he responded very favourably to suggestion that he should do another Bass Communion album soon

- top of his wish list to remix, is Kate Bush's catalogue. He's made overtures to her team but she's turned him down.

- no interest in collaborating with either Gilmour or Waters. He argues that the music that inspired him most was the seventies albums, a creative peak which he feels neither musician could emulate this far down the line. But he emphasised this was purely a creative view and not any disrespect to the music.

- his preferred collaborators would be Akerfeldt, Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada, all of whom he feels are at a creative peak right now.

Lots more interesting stuff, runs for an hour and can be streamed from his Facebook page.

Someone should have asked "Do you feel a debt of gratitude to music discussion forums for spreading the word about your works for the past 10+ years?" It's not like Rolling Stone was writing about him and other high profile mags until a few years ago.
    Last edited by Sean; 08-06-2016 at 12:35 PM.

He also talked about something that gets mentioned a lot around these parts, and that is, standing vs. seating venues. He basically said that he prefers standing venues because the audience gives him so much energy back in those situations, whereas he has actually had to learn, and work at, the art of generating his own energy, in seated venue scenarios. An interesting take, and a good answer.

Great news for me, at least, is that he hasn't ruled out a second Storm Corrosion collaboration. I could care less if PT plays again, so his answer to that one, is fine by me, lol.

neil