Thread: AAJ Review: Hanna Paulsen Concept, Waltz for Lilli

AAJ Review: Hanna Paulsberg Concept, Waltz for Lilli

My review of Hanna Paulsen Concept's Waltz for Lilli, today at All About Jazz.

All too often, European and especially Scandinavian jazz artists are criticized for being too distanced from the American Jazz tradition. Not the case here; this young Norwegian saxophonist and her young band (also featuring drummer Hans Hulbækmo, who is in another exciting new group, Moskus) play a set of original material but while Paulsen is somewhat characteristic in her attention to tone, search for melody and avoidance of pyrotechnics, this is a band that, at times, swings, and swings hard.

All young players worth watching, including bassist Trygve Waldemar Fiske and, especially, pianist Oscar Grönberg. Review here.
    Last edited by jkelman; 02-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks for this link to your review, John - just picked up the album today (after a wee while fruitlessly searching for Pauls*en*!!).

Really enjoying it on the 1st couple of listens - in particular, the title track is a standout thus far.

argh, sorry per!!!! When i was writing the review I had a serious brain cramp on her name that clearly continued...but the beauty is with PE in its new home, I can fix!

But sorry!!!

no worries, John - thanks for the heads up! (the wallet is taking a battering - awaiting delivery of the new Potter & the new Shorter, in the wake of your reviews - & finally taking the plunge with Snakeoil)