Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rabin reveals a few ARW details in new interview

'A couple' doesn't sound unreasonable (even including 'Endless Dream'). It was the idea that they would focus on that album I found odd.

It would make sense for them to play the 80s material, given most of it has not been played very much since then and 90125 was a blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He said "a couple tunes from Talk" in the interview... But one might be 20 minutes long.
    Hopefully! Endless Dream is brilliant song.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

This is not meant to be snarky or denigrating, but who is the core audience for this show? And is the 80s material strong enough to bring in the "traditional" fan? With no name recognition for that casual fan who were helping fill arenas in the 80s, is ARW simply hoping our ranks will fill the seats? I feel I am as big a Yes fan as most and I am simply sitting on the fence regarding buying a ticket. I liked Rabin-influenced material well enough, but I remember being annoyed with his takes on earlier material. What would be driving my attendance is that I feel it would be the last time I get to see Anderson and/or Wakeman...and Rabin is just the price I have to pay. But back to my original thought, is there enough YesWest fans out there to support the tour at the prices they are asking? If we are real for a moment, Yes is basically a nostalgia band at this point in their career. So it reasons that ARW is an offshoot of that nostalgia--are they hoping there are people beyond "serious" Yes fans that will remember that Anderson or Rabin were those guys who wrote those songs I liked 30 years ago and therefore buy tix?
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Ember
    I ended up buying tickets to this, despite the prices, but passing on the current Yes tour, for several reasons.

1. I like Rabin. He's a terrific guitarist, a fine singer, and in many ways an innovator. I liked 90125 and most of BG. I've never seen him live (I was preoccupied with parenting in the 80s and 90s).

2. Last chance to see Wakeman and Anderson? Probably.

3. With a newly configured but extremely talented band, all of the material (whether YesWest or classic) is likely to have a freshened and invigorated energy. It will not in any way resemble a tribute band. I would expect this band not to feel obligated to reproduce the arrangements of the original recordings; Wakeman won't just copy Rabin/Kay's YesWest keyboard parts; Rabin won't play Howe's solos; the other guys won't be note-for-note Squire/White clones. With ARW, the bass player and drummer are not under the onus of being substitutes for Squire and White. This will be a welcome experience to hear.

3. I'm not a Steve Howe fan. Heresy? If you say so. The last two times I saw him -- Yes last year, Asia in 2012 -- his tone was shrill and unpleasant, and he seemed to be having trouble finding the groove (maybe White/Sherwood were the problem with Yas at the time, but with Asia it was all on Howe).

4. I miss Chris too much to want to see "Yes" without him again. Drama (which I love), in particular, is to me more of a Chris album than a Yes album. I just don't want to listen to Billy play it. And for "Tales," I'll spend the money on the new 5.1 remix and wallow in that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    This is not meant to be snarky or denigrating, but who is the core audience for this show? And is the 80s material strong enough to bring in the "traditional" fan? With no name recognition for that casual fan who were helping fill arenas in the 80s, is ARW simply hoping our ranks will fill the seats? I feel I am as big a Yes fan as most and I am simply sitting on the fence regarding buying a ticket. I liked Rabin-influenced material well enough, but I remember being annoyed with his takes on earlier material. What would be driving my attendance is that I feel it would be the last time I get to see Anderson and/or Wakeman...and Rabin is just the price I have to pay. But back to my original thought, is there enough YesWest fans out there to support the tour at the prices they are asking? If we are real for a moment, Yes is basically a nostalgia band at this point in their career. So it reasons that ARW is an offshoot of that nostalgia--are they hoping there are people beyond "serious" Yes fans that will remember that Anderson or Rabin were those guys who wrote those songs I liked 30 years ago and therefore buy tix?
    Nothing snarky at all. I was thinking the same thing. I would bet many ticket buyers don't know the YesWest material and will be let down if they (we) don't hear more of the classic material. That being said, if the reworks are good, I will be more tolerant of it. But, I have little desire to hear anything from BG. But, I am being a bit realistic about it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This is not meant to be snarky or denigrating, but who is the core audience for this show?
    I think you nailed it with this:

What would be driving my attendance is that I feel it would be the last time I get to see Anderson and/or Wakeman and Rabin .
    How many more opportunities are we going to have to see Anderson or Wakeman, let alone together? When is the last time Rabin toured? And how many wanted to see Wakeman join YesWest after the Union tour?

So it reasons that ARW is an offshoot of that nostalgia--are they hoping there are people beyond "serious" Yes fans that will remember that Anderson or Rabin were those guys who wrote those songs I liked 30 years ago and therefore buy tix?
    Remember that Brian Lane is marketing this as "the real Yes," too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I think quite a bit of music has been written: part of what had been Trevor Rabin's next solo album with vocals and the ARW songs written a while ago. My guess is that they are deciding what goes on the ARW album or EP if they record that.
    Rabin talks about his solo album with vocals as an ongoing thing, which would imply it hasn't been cannibalised for ARW.

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 08-04-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    that's the time for a piss and merch stand
    Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    that'll give me ample time to take a piss, get another pint, and check out the merch table
    Gotta hand it to ARW, this is a brilliant merchandising strategy: play YES songs from the '80s & '90s no one wants to hear and cash in on the crush of bodies waving cash around the merch tables. Maybe they'll do the whole "Open My Eyes" album and really make a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Maybe they'll do the whole "Open My Eyes" album and really make a killing.
    I was kinda hoping for the Magnification 15th anniversary tour!
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Gotta hand it to ARW, this is a brilliant merchandising strategy: play YES songs from the '80s & '90s no one wants to hear and cash in on the crush of bodies waving cash around the merch tables. Maybe they'll do the whole "Open My Eyes" album and really make a killing.
    probably not. Note I said "check out" the merch table, not "buy something" from the merch table. I doubt they'll have anything I would buy but its fun to look. An ARW shirt with Roger Dean logo? nah. Rabin stuff? def not. Remasters of Wakeman solo albums. umm...no. Now if they had shirts with fresh new designs of the the classic 70's albums, maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    Now if they had shirts with fresh new designs of the the classic 70's albums, maybe!
    Please understand that I mean no disrespect to you, itserik, with this comment, but is it any wonder that 70s and 80s bands tour as nostalgia acts now?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jefferson James
    Apparently humor is also a nostalgia act.

I admit I find it a bit shocking that they've booked this big tour internationally, and are on the verge of selling out venues, yet the musicians involved have never played together.

Quote Originally Posted by martyn earplug View Post
    I admit I find it a bit shocking that they've booked this big tour internationally, and are on the verge of selling out venues, yet the musicians involved have never played together.
    Well, except for the Union tour.

Merch tables are only for viewing only to me. I have yet to come across a concert shirt that was worth 40 bucks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Please understand that I mean no disrespect to you, itserik, with this comment, but is it any wonder that 70s and 80s bands tour as nostalgia acts now?
    No disrespect taken. Please know I was half-serious anyway.

Its no a wonder at all that old bands tour as nostalgia acts, to answer your question. That's where the interest lies, that's where the money is (sadly). But also because there aren't too many older bands that have it in them to create new material that fans adore to the same extent. Marillion, I would say, is one of the exceptions. Their recent material IMO is still exciting and may well be considered some of their best material.

this show will be predictable. of course they will each have their solo bit or 2. Trevor will do his part- heavy on the 90125. Rick heavy on his part Fragile, CTTE & GFTO, etc... and of course Jon will be cool with anything. but pretty much 90125 & Fragile will shine on this setlist.

oh and this will be the closest to see Yes since Jon toured with them last.

Brilliant comment---because they are my feelings exactly! You could not get more classic Yes fanatics than me and my brother in college but we have no interest in seeing Yes west play these albums now--I mean they were ok in the 80's. I mean there is a whole 80's fan base that like Journey, Toto, Boston etc that also liked Owner of a Lonely heart and 90125---but when you'd ask they don't you love CTTE---they would say never heard it lol. But these are not loyal Yes fans---so I'd go to this to see JA and Rick with a proper band backing them up---but like you I'm not into Rabins take on classic Yes---he just cheeses it up.

I guess the debate on who's the real Yes or who should carry the torch will continue on and on, but I've come to realize that I have the classic Yes material to play whenever I want and my memories of the greatest progressive rock band in the 70's to gratify me enough to not care about whether Jon should carry the torch or Steve. My wife convinced me to spend the money to see the ARW show in Keswick for obvious reasons. Let Jon and Rick and Trevor and Geoff and Steve and Alan spit poison at one another, I don't care. I'll just put on Close to the Edge or Relayer or Tales and enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I ended up buying tickets to this, despite the prices, but passing on the current Yes tour, for several reasons.

1. I like Rabin. He's a terrific guitarist, a fine singer, and in many ways an innovator. I liked 90125 and most of BG. I've never seen him live (I was preoccupied with parenting in the 80s and 90s).

2. Last chance to see Wakeman and Anderson? Probably.

3. With a newly configured but extremely talented band, all of the material (whether YesWest or classic) is likely to have a freshened and invigorated energy. It will not in any way resemble a tribute band. I would expect this band not to feel obligated to reproduce the arrangements of the original recordings; Wakeman won't just copy Rabin/Kay's YesWest keyboard parts; Rabin won't play Howe's solos; the other guys won't be note-for-note Squire/White clones. With ARW, the bass player and drummer are not under the onus of being substitutes for Squire and White. This will be a welcome experience to hear.

3. I'm not a Steve Howe fan. Heresy? If you say so. The last two times I saw him -- Yes last year, Asia in 2012 -- his tone was shrill and unpleasant, and he seemed to be having trouble finding the groove (maybe White/Sherwood were the problem with Yas at the time, but with Asia it was all on Howe).

4. I miss Chris too much to want to see "Yes" without him again. Drama (which I love), in particular, is to me more of a Chris album than a Yes album. I just don't want to listen to Billy play it. And for "Tales," I'll spend the money on the new 5.1 remix and wallow in that instead.

I think you have some valid arguments here. I'm not a fan of the 80ies YES material and had no intentions buying tickets but your post changed my mind . This could be more interesting and challenging than the current Anderson/Wakeman/Squire/White-less incarnation of YES playing the same old repertoire... or a complete failure. But I'm willing to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I agree 100%. Howe has been a weak player as far as I'm concerned since Relayer. No sense of groove or taste whatsoever. It's amazing the difference in his playing from his clever work in the early '70s to what he became. Rabin, at least in the studio, is a much better musician (albeit one with a very different style from Howe).

I'm probably not going to check out this tour, but part of me is tempted just because this will probably be my last chance to see Anderson and Wakeman.

Howe is still the most inventive versatile and original player in prog---and one of the worlds great rock guitarists. I think if you took a poll of great ones from musicians prog jazz or otherwise----Howe's name would come up---Rabins name would not. he has just not distinguished himself as one of the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I agree 100%. Howe has been a weak player as far as I'm concerned since Relayer. No sense of groove or taste whatsoever. It's amazing the difference in his playing from his clever work in the early '70s to what he became. Rabin, at least in the studio, is a much better musician (albeit one with a very different style from Howe).

I'm probably not going to check out this tour, but part of me is tempted just because this will probably be my last chance to see Anderson and Wakeman.
    Almost by definition, musicians that are so innovative peak early. To me, Steve Howe's genius is "early 70s" and to think about it, ending at Relayer makes sense. But hey, Einstein didn't do much innovative after his peak years (late teens and 20s) either...

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Howe is still the most inventive versatile and original player in prog---and one of the worlds great rock guitarists. I think if you took a poll of great ones from musicians prog jazz or otherwise----Howe's name would come up---Rabins name would not. he has just not distinguished himself as one of the greats.
    So....wait. You're not a Rabin fan?

Wow. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So....wait. You're not a Rabin fan?

Wow. Who knew?
    I know - I'm stunned by the news.

Next we'll discover that Yes were the greatest band ever but only when they had the best musicians on the planet and now they're just a bunch of hacks.