Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise

Noise

So what are some of your favorite noise acts/bands? I'm not that familiar with the genre so can't recommend many names. Perhaps it's like prog, noise acts broadly taken can mean a lot of different styles. Is it Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Wire, DIY bands, etc. I ran across this one recently

Here in Costa Rica we have:

- aUTOPerro.
    Electroacoustic music/concrete music.

KuRSSK.

aUTOPerro:
    Rock en el Farolito - Metropolis (Live)

More info.:
    https://www.facebook.com/aUTOPerro-312594895458629/
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I love Earth, Sunn O))), Coil, and especially Nurse With Wound

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wait a minute - I just watched/listened to some Sun 0))) on YouTube - this stuff makes Dungeon Synth sound like Beethoven!

One of my all-time faves is Ben Frost's "By the Throat." Visceral and cinematic as hell...

https://youtu.be/43YG2bsEQtM

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Coil
    oh my! a few days ago, I pulled out Horse Rotorvator with regard to Enid's recommendation thread on the main board. it has been awhile since I was finally able to cleanse myself of the overwhelming grime which seeps through every pore of your skin. remarkably sublime while succinctly searing it's way through your flesh and bones before coming to rest like a heavy stone of burden in the darkest depths of your gut. it didn't disappoint. it staggers you, then suddenly you're strapped down to a cold metal table as a faceless apparition performs a melodramatic autopsy on your still lively corpse.

it's magnificence of the highest disorder and truly depressing. the melancholy is downright oppressive. Horse Rotorvator is without a doubt the most hopeless album I have ever heard but it's sadness is the underlying beauty of it all. sonically speaking, it's extremely rewarding and full of nuance. listening to it now, I realize just how far ahead of it's time Rotorvator was. I didn't appreciate it much when I first stumbled upon it during the late 80's but now I do consider it to be a masterpiece. quite frankly, it's still as challenging as the first listen but it isn't one to be missed. I'm not always enthusiastic with this genre but I can highly recommend this one!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

For anyone interested in real noise, here's my top bands...

Grey Wolves
    Mauthausen Orchestra
    The Gerogerigegege
    Hijōkaidan
    Yellow Swans
    Bastard Noise
    Incapacitants
    C.C.C.C.
    Aube
    Whitehouse (early stuff)
    Total
    System Planning Korporation (this version of S.P.K.)
    Francisco López
    Smell & Quim
    Contagious Orgasm
    Brighter Death Now
    Hanatarash
    Law
    Genocide Organ
    M.B.
    New Blockaders
    Daniel Menche
    John Duncan
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-03-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Haven't heard all of those, but I have/like Yellow Swans, a token Whitehouse, and an M.B. record.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

That's a lot spacefreak, I'll check into some of those later. Thanks everyone for the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    That's a lot spacefreak, I'll check into some of those later. Thanks everyone for the posts.
    Be warned, some of them are extreme sonic terrorists, blending elements of early industrial, power electronics, primitivism and noise.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Think I've mentioned this before, but I like the Eraserhead soundtrack without the voices.
    The older I get, the better I was.

To get even more off center, I've heard tracks of people simply, whispering. The sound of Japanese people whispering is almost hypnotic. I'm serious. Listen for yourself.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Think I've mentioned this before, but I like the Eraserhead soundtrack without the voices.
    me too. and I own it.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Be warned, some of them are extreme sonic terrorists, blending elements of early industrial, power electronics, primitivism and noise.
    I see what you mean. listening to Mauthausen Orchestra on YT. I can't remember if I had a headache before or if this gave it to me.

Rapoon, Paul Schütze, and all that ilk were pretty fun to collect in the 90s. Of course Bruce Gilbert and the entire Dome/Lewis oeuvre was my intro to this. One incredible album I recommend (if you can find) is Alan Lamb's Night Passage on Dorobo. It's downright gorgeous... Another artist, not sure if "noise" is the correct category, but Pthalocyanine aka Dimitri Fergadis. Brilliant stuff. Oh, and Pan sonic from Finland?!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For anyone interested in real noise, here's my top bands...

Grey Wolves
    Mauthausen Orchestra
    The Gerogerigegege
    Hijōkaidan
    Yellow Swans
    Bastard Noise
    Incapacitants
    C.C.C.C.
    Aube
    Whitehouse (early stuff)
    Total
    System Planning Korporation (this version of S.P.K.)
    Francisco López
    Smell & Quim
    Contagious Orgasm
    Brighter Death Now
    Hanatarash
    Law
    Genocide Organ
    M.B.
    New Blockaders
    Daniel Menche
    John Duncan
    Is Smell and Quim that feminist Noise band?

Grey Wolves
    Mauthausen Orchestra
    Yellow Swans
    Bastard Noise
    Aube
    Whitehouse (early stuff)
    Brighter Death Now
    I've heard bits of these ones and quite like some of it; I should probably investigate further. Didn't Aube pass away a couple of years ago? I caught him live many years back and he was scorching beyond words - his music came across as far more refined and, frankly, nuanced than the handful of Masami (Merzbow) albums I've heard.

I quite enjoy some of Lasse Marhaug's stuff, some Jazkamer, Thomas Köner, Fennesz et al. Although this is obviously a rather different take on the medium.

An early composed noise work of potential interest to "prog" folks would be onetime 5UU's-collaborator Thomas Dimuzio's Headlock, released by ReR in 1989. This is intriguingly sophisticated sonic force, planned to detail and extremely well executed.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    An early composed noise work of potential interest to "prog" folks would be onetime 5UU's-collaborator Thomas Dimuzio's Headlock, released by ReR in 1989. This is intriguingly sophisticated sonic force, planned to detail and extremely well executed.
    Had not heard this before...samples sound very cool. Copy ordered, thanks!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

would Grey Daturas 'fit' into this category?

Didn't Aube pass away a couple of years ago? I caught him live many years back and he was scorching beyond words - his music came across as far more refined and, frankly, nuanced than the handful of Masami (Merzbow) albums I've heard.
    Yes, he passed away at 2013. Definitely more interesting than the one-dimentional Merzbow. His output ranges from industrial and power electronics to isolationist ambient, even musique concrete. He was the one to initiate me in the music of Taj Mahal Travellers and East Bionic Symphonia through our tape trades in the early 90s.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

So this arrived yesterday and it's quite enjoyable. Thanks again for the suggest

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    One of my all-time faves is Ben Frost's "By the Throat." Visceral and cinematic as hell...

https://youtu.be/43YG2bsEQtM
    Co-signed.I do love me some Ben Frost, fer sure.

Was kinda gassed about this cd when it came out a year or two ago.Not sure it fits,but then i'm seldom sure that what i'm posting firmly fits the given thread parameter.

Joseph Hammer(member of the Los Angeles Free Music Society)-Roadless Travel.Tape looping plays a large part in Hammer's work.Hearing this almost puts me in a temporal loop.Time seems to expand, contract and fold in upon itself.Oh well.YMMV.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I dig the Hammer! Very cool stuff.

Yeah, it's a hard genre to pigeonhole. That Joseph Hammer reminded me a bit of Reich's 18 Musicians at first, not that Reich should be included here though to some ears maybe, and Reich's music isn't looped, but composed, which makes it all the more mindblowing.

I'm pretty sure some might say 5UU and Merzbow are noise. But I prefer things more subtle too most of the time.

This might be more synth? I dunno, but pretty cool: