Thread: Documentary on the life and music of Erik Satie.

Documentary on the life and music of Erik Satie.

I've been watching and digging this documentary on Erik Satie so much i thought i'd share it.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYR...&feature=share
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Satie's music has always appealed to me, and I'm not by any stretch someone who listens to a lot of classical music.

You want progressive classical? Check out Satie.

Thanks, Walt
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've always enjoyed some Satie late at night, I'll bookmark this to watch later, thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewed it last night and found it most interesting. Not just because I'm a fan of Satie, but I find general history of the late 19th and early 20th centuries fascinating.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Thank you for this!
    I enjoy playing a few Satie pieces and have always found him (and the times) fascinating.

Excellent documentary. Thanks, Walt! Makes me want to pick up the 150th Birthday box, Erik Satie & Friends. It's a pretty amazing set for 25 bucks. 13 CDs, original jackets, and some historic recordings of Poulenc playing Satie and his own music.

Big fan of Satie. He, Debussy and Ravel made my favorite piano music.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I've been watching and digging this documentary on Erik Satie so much i thought i'd share it.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYR...&feature=share
    Thanks Walt!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Makes me want to pick up the 150th Birthday box, Erik Satie & Friends. It's a pretty amazing set for 25 bucks. 13 CDs, original jackets, and some historic recordings of Poulenc playing Satie and his own music.
    This is a great value.I don't think i can resist pulling the trigger on it.Thanks for the tip,Reid.

This is a great value.I don't think i can resist pulling the trigger on it.Thanks for the tip,Reid.
    This site has all the info and samples. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/S...5177492#listen

This site has all the info and samples. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/S...5177492#listen
    Thanks!
    Looks like a perfect set to lose track of time in!
    I hit up the 3 or so versions of the Gymnopedies (#1). The first one was at too fast of a tempo for me but I liked 2 of the others. The Gnossiennes sounded lovely too (my faves).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I hit up the 3 or so versions of the Gymnopedies (#1). The first one was at too fast of a tempo for me but I liked 2 of the others. The Gnossiennes sounded lovely too (my faves).
    That first version was performed by the French composer, Francis Poulenc. The rest sound pretty normal. If you want real slow, listen to Reinbert de Leeuw.

. If you want real slow, listen to Reinbert de Leeuw.

If you want super slow,listen to Philip Corner's two cd set,Satie Slowly.

I've posted this composition several times in other threads over the past few years,but i'll post it again in this one because it seems appropriate and also 'cause it's one of my very favorite classical compositions and an extraordinary work.Satie's Messe Des Pauvres, for church organ and choir.This performance is rather slow compared to other versions but quite good.

Thank you, Reid and Walt.

Isn't it fascinating how we all have strong feelings about the tempo of a favorite piece? The topic prompts much discussion and arguments here on this board and on other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Thank you, Reid and Walt.

Isn't it fascinating how we all have strong feelings about the tempo of a favorite piece? The topic prompts much discussion and arguments here on this board and on other sites.
    Piano sound is usually a deciding factor for me as well. I don't like too bright, or too dark and murky. So Michel Legrand, and Daniel Varsano play Satie to my satisfaction.

Walt, I really like that organ piece. Do you know the recording? The other organists I've sampled use full on volume which I didn't like as much.

Yes, the piano itself, the room, the micing choices, etc., all make huge differences. I must say, i am not a fan of the Yamaha pianos. Too bright. Their marimbas are the same way--crazy bright.
    Give me a Steinway or a Bosendorfer any day (I have less issues with dark pianos).

I've posted this composition several times in other threads over the past few years,but i'll post it again in this one because it seems appropriate and also 'cause it's one of my very favorite classical compositions and an extraordinary work.Satie's Messe Des Pauvres, for church organ and choir.This performance is rather slow compared to other versions but quite good.

Nice !

Walt, I really like that organ piece. Do you know the recording? The other organists I've sampled use full on volume which I didn't like as much.
    Reid, i don't know the recording.First time i heard this piece was on an ECM New Series cd in the mid-late 90's.Christopher Bowers-Broadbent was the organist,and that iteration omitted the chorus(don't ask me why).That version is still my favorite;it's 17 and a half minutes long, as opposed to this clips nearly 23 minutes.Apparently, there aren't too many versions of Messe Des Pauvres out on cd,but i could be wrong about that.

Thanks. I just found out the other day there's a doc on Chet Baker too. Netflix has it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Thanks. I just found out the other day there's a doc on Chet Baker too. Netflix has it.
    Now THERE was an interesting chap! What a story there. I wonder if there is anything new about the eternal question. (Did he jump, fall, or was he pushed from that window?)

That first version was performed by the French composer, Francis Poulenc. The rest sound pretty normal. If you want real slow, listen to Reinbert de Leeuw.
    Reinbert de Leeuw died last weekend at the age of 81.
    For me he was THE Satie-performer ever since I discovered the 3-LP box-set with Satie's early works.
    https://operawire.com/obituary-reinb...uw-dies-at-81/

Sad to hear.
    He really was a fine interpreter of Satie.

This track is Messe des Pauvres by Satie, for pipe organ and choir(this track omits the choir,don't ask me why.)I've hoped to be able to post this version for quite a while.Enjoy.*

*See post #19.

Last edited by walt; 02-19-2020 at 04:23 PM.