Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Ronnie James Dio

Early Ronnie James Dio

Any Dio fans here? I own all of RJD's albums (Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, solo, Heaven And Hell, etc). However, I really don't know much about his 60s era stuff. What is to be said? What does it even sound like? Anything worth pursuing? Anything that I should stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

I love everything of Ronnie's from The Elves on down, too.

There are some old songs on YouTube. Interesting stuff!

My favorite vocalist of all time. Don't know a lot about his pre Elf stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My favorite vocalist of all time.
    Ditto.

I think at one point he was in a do wop group way back at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I really don't know much about his 60s era stuff. What is to be said? What does it even sound like?

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Tony Iommi once said: "Ronnie always had, and has, great ideas, he's very encouraging, and he's great to bounce ideas off." ... "Ozzy would follow the riff, such as 'Iron Man', and because I knew where he was going to go, I would write with that in mind. But with Ronnie he went, and still goes, to places I sometimes didn't, and still don't, expect, which makes it more challenging and tends to push you. Ronnie could sing across the riff so that lead to us writing differently. "

And I completely agree with him, Tony was damn right.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Compared to Ronnie, Ozzy's on autopilot.

^yep, quite sure of that.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Richard Burton sings Jethro Tull.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Ronnie's first group was the Red Caps, and they were recording while he was still a teenager in the late '50s.

It never would have worked commercially, but now I wish he could have recorded an album of standards when his voice was at its peak in the '70s and early '80s. He said in an interview I recall from the '90s that he also wrote mellower music, but that it would never get recorded because that's not what his fans wanted. Well, this fan would sure buy the hell out of it now.

What an amazing musical journey he lived. Literally the entire history of rock 'n roll.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think at one point he was in a do wop group way back at the beginning.
    Yeah, I knew it, but never bothered checking since I dislike doo-wop music

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Ronnie's first group was the Red Caps, and they were recording while he was still a teenager in the late '50s.
    It kind of breaks the heavy-metal red-hood troll he built up over the years

btw: I mean troll in a mythical sense.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Kerry Livgren had Dio sing on his solo album "Seeds of Change". Dio was in Black Sabbath at the time. The Christian music industry didn't think too highly of that, and a number of Christian bookstores at the time wouldn't bother to stock that album even though they stocked bands like Stryper, Petra, and other hard Rock Christian bands. Kerry thought it was somewhat funny, the irony and all. What many didn't realize was the fact that Kerry knew Dio from his Elf days. He asked him to sing on the album because he felt his voice was well suited to the songs he chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Kerry Livgren had Dio sing on his solo album "Seeds of Change". Dio was in Black Sabbath at the time. The Christian music industry didn't think too highly of that, and a number of Christian bookstores at the time wouldn't bother to stock that album even though they stocked bands like Stryper, Petra, and other hard Rock Christian bands. Kerry thought it was somewhat funny, the irony and all. What many didn't realize was the fact that Kerry knew Dio from his Elf days. He asked him to sing on the album because he felt his voice was well suited to the songs he chose.
    No one should ever doubt the fathomless capacity for hypocrisy among some Christians. Or any other religious sect for that matter.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Kerry saw Elf on a bill with Deep Purple (with Coverdale) and other bands. Ronnie had just returned from England, where Sabbath had completed the final mixes on Heaven and Hell, when Kerry's management contacted Ronnie's. Ronnie nailed precisely what Kerry had envisioned him doing as the vocalist for both songs. Ronnie said in an interview that Kerry's newfound Christianity didn't come up before the recording of the songs, and he didn't see the song lyrics as being expressly Christian or religious. After recording was complete, they hung out and talked for a while and only then did Ronnie learn Kerry was born again. To quote Kerry from the booklet for Decade: "Ronnie was no Satanist."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    No one should ever doubt the fathomless capacity for hypocrisy among some Christians. Or any other religious sect for that matter.
    Not to mention the willful ignorance of those who judge without even attempting to learn about the material. We're talking about Kerry "The Wall" Livgren here. Reminds me of when "The Life of Brian" came out. People who had not seen it were the most vocal protesters.

I'm guessing that, if you read the lyrics of Sabbath's "After Forever" to some of them, they'd likely agree with it and say, "Now that's nice. Why don't you boys listen to that kind of music?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Not sure which "singer" I have more contempt for - Dio or Chris Farlowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I thought it was Mickey Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I thought it was Mickey Thomas.
    3rd place tie w/Steve Perry(who is really the same guy anyway)

Steve Perry or Jon Anderson?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not to mention the willful ignorance of those who judge without even attempting to learn about the material. We're talking about Kerry "The Wall" Livgren here. Reminds me of when "The Life of Brian" came out. People who had not seen it were the most vocal protesters.

I'm guessing that, if you read the lyrics of Sabbath's "After Forever" to some of them, they'd likely agree with it and say, "Now that's nice. Why don't you boys listen to that kind of music?"
    If you haven't seen it, the laughable comments by the Bishop of Suffolk and the other old fart (thankfully demised - and we all rejoiced!) in debate against Cleese and Palin, and the arrogant and downright rude attacks on the film by the representatives of the so-called Christian establishment speaks reams of the ignorance of Faith.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread, please return to your previous conversation.
    Last edited by The Dark Elf; 08-01-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Farlowe and his Nazi artefact collection, I can understand, but Dio?

But personally, I'd put Livgren and Neal morse and the new faith well above Farlowe (or Lemmy and Vander, FTM, if the Nazi collections is why you dislike him)

3rd place tie w/Steve Perry(who is really the same guy anyway)
    Sounds logical too
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Reminds me of when "The Life of Brian" came out. People who had not seen it were the most vocal protesters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Think of Scorcese's early 90's movie about JC...

Or those friggin' would)be djihaddist and those Danish cartoons they'd never ever seen... they were told they existed and that sufficed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Farlowe and his Nazi artefact collection, I can understand, but Dio?

But personally, I'd put Livgren and Neal morse and the new faith well above Farlowe (or Lemmy and Vander, FTM, if the Nazi collections is why you dislike him)
    I don't give a FRA about the Nazi collections. It's the voices that irritate me. AFAIC, Dio and Farlowe both ruined every band they were ever in. Livgren and Morse don't factor in because I've heard very little of either - strictly by choice.