Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audiophile Prog??

Dog ears.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Stupid question, but do you need special equipment to fully enjoy 24/96?
    Itunes can only play up to 24/48. If you're using your computer you need to use a special software program like audirvana, Pure Music, or VLC.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Dog ears.
    That's not the case. Listen to the Steve Wilson remix of "Fragile" in 24/96 and trust me your mind will be blown.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    You should check out all the Steve Wilson prog remixes that are available in 24/96. Yes, Crimson, Tull, Caravan, XTC.
    Obviously this is just to offer a counterargument to what you've said. Not meaning to suggest that any opinion on this topic can possibly be considered "wrong."

But, IMO, if Wilson's remixes are now what is considered "audiophile." Then forget it. The idea is clinging to life, at best.

Present: High Infidelity
    Univers Zero: Live
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Univers Zero: Live
    Oh god yes. How could I have forgotten this one???

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Itunes can only play up to 24/48. If you're using your computer you need to use a special software program like audirvana, Pure Music, or VLC.
    all modern standalone hifi DACs will support 24/96... and above. Even a simple external "audio card" out of PRC.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Obviously this is just to offer a counterargument to what you've said. Not meaning to suggest that any opinion on this topic can possibly be considered "wrong."

But, IMO, if Wilson's remixes are now what is considered "audiophile." Then forget it. The idea is clinging to life, at best.
    Wilson mixes/remixes are too dry... to my ears. There are better mixes out there! Check out Earthside-Dream In Static, tho not hires as such...

How about Anglagard's Viljans Oga? I haven't heard the CD but the LP at least sounds very good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    How about Anglagard's Viljans Oga? I haven't heard the CD but the LP at least sounds very good to me.
    Actually that 45rpm release is compressed like crazy. Real shame. The packaging is nice though!

On a more positive note their recent live album has exemplary demo quality sound. (I have not heard the vinyl - only Redbook digital).

Advent's latest in 24/96 (mastered by Bob Katz)

Greetings,

I rarely post anything resembling self-promotion here, but we've received a lot of positive feedback about the fidelity and clarity of the 24/96 version of Advent's latest album, Silent Sentinel, that was beautifully mastered in this audiophile format by the amazing Bob Katz. Here's a direct link to this version of the album for anyone who might be interested:

http://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/albu...udiophile-2496

Although it probably seems obvious, please note that Bandcamp always streams music at a much lower quality (equivalent to 128k MP3 if memory serves), so the audiophile nature of the recording/mastering will only be evident if purchased and downloaded.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

I rarely post anything resembling self-promotion here, but we've received a lot of positive feedback about the fidelity and clarity of the 24/96 version of Advent's latest album, Silent Sentinel, that was beautifully mastered in this audiophile format by the amazing Bob Katz. Here's a direct link to this version of the album for anyone who might be interested:

Although it probably seems obvious, please note that Bandcamp always streams music at a much lower quality (equivalent to 128k MP3 if memory serves), so the audiophile nature of the recording/mastering will only be evident if purchased and downloaded.

Cheers,

Alan
    With a record as good as Silent Sentinel under your belt, you're entitled to a little self-promotion!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Beautiful sounding album, actually all three are, especially Epilog.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Actually that 45rpm release is compressed like crazy. Real shame.
    Are you talking about just the vinyl? The disc didn't sound overly compressed to me.

Truth is I didn't give the CD a critical listen. Given the fact that the band went to the trouble of cutting the album at 45rpm it should sound better. To me its dynamically constricted. To the average listener it may seem fine.

Elvis Costello made a song called "High Fidelity" does that count?

Truth is I didn't give the CD a critical listen. Given the fact that the band went to the trouble of cutting the album at 45rpm it should sound better. To me its dynamically constricted. To the average listener it may seem fine.
    Hmmm, I'll try to focus on that aspect on the next spin. I haven't noticed a lack of dynamics, or it wasn't apparent to me. In any event, I have grown to love the album. I was lukewarm for the first few spins (its following two monsters as you well know), but once the light-switch was flipped, I was hooked. Its pretty on par with the other two, or at least pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    With a record as good as Silent Sentinel under your belt, you're entitled to a little self-promotion!!!
    Much appreciated!

Actually that 45rpm release is compressed like crazy. Real shame. The packaging is nice though!

On a more positive note their recent live album has exemplary demo quality sound. (I have not heard the vinyl - only Redbook digital).

Seems the loudness-war website shows the vinyl release having pretty good dynamic range, and 3 other versions (not stated format) not so good.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...glagard&album=

I almost always agree with you on audio issues. Not so sure about this one...
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Seems the loudness-war website shows the vinyl release having pretty good dynamic range, and 3 other versions (not stated format) not so good.

Never trust DR Meter info on vinyl cut from the same digital source as a CD. It cannot be relied upon to compute it correctly and will often show a better dynamic range for the vinyl even when the source and mastering are the exact same.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

I'm happy to revisit the vinyl and give it another spin. I would not exactly be suffering.

I'm just relating from memory that it should have been a mindblower but it was just ok.

I'm going to be the contrarian about the Hooffoot album. Great music and its commendable that they worked in the analogue domain but I found the overall production average. Not bad but nothing exceptional ie. I wouldn't want to use it as demo material to show off my system.
    Huh. I'm going to have to revisit my LP as we're usually pretty simpatico on assessing these things Ken. Truth be told, I have the lossless files on my Sony portable which gets the most play and it sounds pretty great through the Shure 535 in-ears and I don't get nearly the same amount of listening time for vinyl. Not suggesting it as demo material but I find the production much better than average. That said, it can't really compete with the HOG SACD so probably not fair of me to suggest both and insinuate they were of the same level of production quality.
    Let's agree to put the stereo geekery aside for a moment and agree on the quality of both albums...great stuff!
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

I'll second that. The Advent 24/96 is gorgeous!

Cheers,

Alan

I'll second that. The Advent 24/96 is sublime!

I've heard Flim & the BB's music was used to test stereo equiptment.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I've heard Flim & the BB's music was used to test stereo equiptment.
    I believe most of the Flim and the BB's CD's were on Tom Jung's DMP label that used a minimal miking technique that was all the "hi fi" rage in the 80's. "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits done all digitally was another big test disc in those days. All sounds kind of strident to me today.