Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1828

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

ESPN reporting more than 500 players entered the transfer portal today. This has really gotten insane.

Here in Kalamazoo, with the dismissal of Tim Lester we have 9 in the portal already including our best RB, best WR, two best edge rushers, and best linebacker. It's going to be a long re-build once a new coach is hired........

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Maybe this will stop boosters sacking coaches on a whim.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anyone see who's playing in the Orange Bowl? Tennessee and Clemson. Calling that apropos is an understatement. lol

BTW, here's how the 12 team playoff would look like if it was in effect this year:
    8 TN
    9 K-State

5 TCU
    12 Tulane

6 Ohio State
    11 Penn State

7 Bama
    10 USC
    1 GA
    TN/KSU

4 Utah
    TCU/Tulane

3 Clemson
    OSU/PSU

2 Michigan
    Bama/USC
    And so forth.

Higher seeded teams get home field advantage. The great thing about that is there will be instances of southern teams having to go play in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin – in December! (because let's be realistic: who from the B1G is going to make the playoffs besides OSU, UofM, PSU, MSU, and UofW, and what other northern team is going to make the playoffs from another conference?)

After the bye week, games are played at bowl games on neutral fields.

So the question that immediately pops to my mind is will the bye help the top seeded teams and/or will playing a game prior to playing the top seeds help the lower seed teams? If both, who has the advantage? Having a bye will obviously help the top seeds to get healthy and prepare. But for the lower seeds, having a game to play that first week should also help with preparation. Of course, there's also the potential for an injury to take out a key player prior to having to play a top seed.

I think it will be interesting even if it is occasionally messed up.
    I always like going south. Somehow, it feels like going downhill.. – Fangorn

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone see who's playing in the Orange Bowl? Tennessee and Clemson. Calling that apropos is an understatement. lol

BTW, here's how the 12 team playoff would look like if it was in effect this year:
    8 TN
    9 K-State

5 TCU
    12 Tulane

6 Ohio State
    11 Penn State

7 Bama
    10 USC
    1 GA
    TN/KSU

4 Utah
    TCU/Tulane

3 Clemson
    OSU/PSU

2 Michigan
    Bama/USC
    And so forth.

Higher seeded teams get home field advantage. The great thing about that is there will be instances of southern teams having to go play in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin – in December! (because let's be realistic: who from the B1G is going to make the playoffs besides OSU, UofM, PSU, MSU, and UofW, and what other northern team is going to make the playoffs from another conference?)

After the bye week, games are played at bowl games on neutral fields.

So the question that immediately pops to my mind is will the bye help the top seeded teams and/or will playing a game prior to playing the top seeds help the lower seed teams? If both, who has the advantage? Having a bye will obviously help the top seeds to get healthy and prepare. But for the lower seeds, having a game to play that first week should also help with preparation. Of course, there's also the potential for an injury to take out a key player prior to having to play a top seed.

I think it will be interesting even if it is occasionally messed up.
    I know there are a lot of mixed feeling about the 12 team thing on this board, but I think it is going to be interesting as hell. Many southern teams don't like playing in the north even during September, so doing it in December will be very interesting.

As for Big 10 teams making the playoffs, I would throw Iowa in there. They already have a solid defense and they have secured some offensive portal guys already including Cade McNamera from Michigan who will be their starter in 2023. Purdue isn't that far away from being a good team either.

Also Notre Dame, which is only an hour south from where we live, so the weather can sometimes be brutal in December.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know there are a lot of mixed feeling about the 12 team thing on this board, but I think it is going to be interesting as hell. Many southern teams don't like playing in the north even during September, so doing it in December will be very interesting.

As for Big 10 teams making the playoffs, I would throw Iowa in there. They already have a solid defense and they have secured some offensive portal guys already including Cade McNamera from Michigan who will be their starter in 2023. Purdue isn't that far away from being a good team either.

Also Notre Dame, which is only an hour south from where we live, so the weather can sometimes be brutal in December.
    I kinda forgot about Iowa. Purdue hasn't had a decent team in a long time.

As for ND, if they're ranked then they are in. But their best shot is to join a conference. Otherwise they are shooting themselves in the foot.

As for ND, if they're ranked then they are in. But their best shot is to join a conference. Otherwise they are shooting themselves in the foot.
    Purdue won the Big 10 West this year. Granted, the East is the stronger division, but Purdue has had a decent year.

I don't see ND ever joining a conference because they would have to give up their lucrative TV deal. The Big 10 has had their eyes on ND for years, and it would certainly make sense geographically, but they have never made much headway.

As for Big 10 teams making the playoffs, I would throw Iowa in there. They already have a solid defense and they have secured some offensive portal guys already including Cade McNamera from Michigan who will be their starter in 2023
    Iowa's problem - for years - has been in the OC chair. Brian Ferentz sucks, and only has the job because daddy's the HC. I don't think adding skill players will change anything, unless they're all next-level right away, and Ferentz changes his entire philosophy. The O line was even embarrassing this season, and historically that's been Iowa's saving grace on that side of the ball.

I hope I'm wrong. We'll see.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Maryland gave OS and Michigan a run for the money.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Maryland gave OS and Michigan a run for the money.
    Maryland were a much improved team this year for sure.

Maryland were a much improved team this year for sure.
    I didn't see the results of the MD-MI game but it seemed to me that OSU really underestimated MD's QB.

I didn't see the results of the MD-MI game but it seemed to me that OSU really underestimated MD's QB.
    Tua's brother Taulia is quite talented. Not sure if he is at the level of his NFL brother, but he is good.

Louisville offensive coordinator Lance Taylor will be announced as the new WMU head coach here in Kalamazoo this afternoon. The guy played at Alabama and has coached at Notre Dame, Stanford, Louisville, Ap State, Alabama, and in the NFL with the Panthers and Jets. On paper I really like this hire, but we’ll see what happens.

Bowl season kicks off today with the Bahamas Bowl and another one later in the day. I always enjoy this time of year with games on every day to place a little money on or play fantasy with. My team didn't make a bowl this year (thus their coach being fired), but I still dig watching many of them.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well, Tennessee at least put a nice ribbon on a great season by spanking Clemson in the orangist Orange Bowl ever.

WTFITS Michigan?!?

TCU puttin' up a fight....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    TCU puttin' up a fight....
    Hell, they're dominating. I guess this puts a lid on whether or not they deserved to be there

It’s suddenly very competitive.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Crap. Michigan obviously underestimated TCU.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    What an utterly beautiful 4th down play to end Michigan's season
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ To be fair, any play that ends Michigan's season is most welcome.

A text I sent about 15 minutes ago:
    Well, I'm satisfied. I don't really care about the outcome of this game because I don't have a lot of hope for OSU. I just wanted to see Michigan lose.

The text I sent about a minute ago after Ohio State went up 21-7:
    Well shit. Now I have hope.

So, anyone gonna play defense?

Thank the gods