Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

  1. #1251
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,306
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would agree that Ohio State looks like the team to beat after yesterday. I will be rooting for my wife's Badgers next weekend, but I don't see them having much of a chance.
    Yeah, I'm having biblical visions of lambs getting sacrificed, unfortunately.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  2. #1252
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,620
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

  3. #1253
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,486
    ^ Harbaugh's thought bubble should say "well, at least the kid pressed my khakis right."

  4. #1254
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yeah, I'm having biblical visions of lambs getting sacrificed, unfortunately.
    Sacrificial Badger?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  5. #1255
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,620
    Holy shit! Did any of you see the CFP rankings this week? Check this out:

    11 Auburn University 9-3
    12 University of Alabama 10-2

    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

  6. #1256
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,028
    Oof. Baylor's got some fight in 'em.

  7. #1257
    Quite the turd laid by Wisconsin in the 2nd half.

  8. #1258
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Quite the turd laid by Wisconsin in the 2nd half.
    yer not kidding. Oy vey, gadzukes and goddamn

    God I hate seeing OSU winning so much as an all-day sucker. I wanna bomb the all-day sucker factory. Shit.

  9. #1259
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    yer not kidding. Oy vey, gadzukes and goddamn

    God I hate seeing OSU winning so much as an all-day sucker. I wanna bomb the all-day sucker factory. Shit.
    I give Oklahoma a puncher's chance against OSU.

    They have an offense unlike anything the Buckeyes have seen yet this year. They don't stop much, though.

  10. #1260
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Quite the turd laid by Wisconsin in the 2nd half.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    yer not kidding. Oy vey, gadzukes and goddamn
    Because Ohio State couldn't possibly be good enough to shut Wisconsin down and score a bunch of points on them, could they? And I suppos OSU's earlier wins against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan were flukes, too.

    You guys should start your posts with the disclaimer, "I hate Ohio State". At least then, for people unfamiliar with your opinions, they know not to take you seriously.
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

  11. #1261
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,620
    There are gonna be some good bowl games coming up, some better than others, obviously. I suspect the Sugar Bowl is going to be a knock down, drag out fight. I didn't bother to list all of them but here are the good ones:

    Dec 28
    Cotton Bowl Classic
    Penn State vs. Memphis
    Noon, ESPN/ESPN App

    Plus the semifinals.

    Dec. 30

    Capital One Orange Bowl
    Florida vs. Virginia
    8 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App

    Jan. 1, 2020

    Citrus Bowl
    Michigan vs. Alabama
    1 p.m., ABC/ESPN App

    Outback Bowl
    Minnesota vs. Auburn
    1 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App

    Rose Bowl
    Oregon vs. Wisconsin
    5 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App

    Sugar Bowl
    Georgia vs. Baylor
    8:45 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

  12. #1262
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Because Ohio State couldn't possibly be good enough to shut Wisconsin down and score a bunch of points on them, could they? And I suppos OSU's earlier wins against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan were flukes, too.

    You guys should start your posts with the disclaimer, "I hate Ohio State". At least then, for people unfamiliar with your opinions, they know not to take you seriously.
    I don't think Facelift is a Buckeye hater. 3LB doesn't like Ohio St in the slightest, but he's a Michigander who escaped to the Northwest, iirc, and I don't expect folks from Michigan to be anything other than hostile to the Buckeyes. Nor should they be. Add to that the fact that tOSU is something of a Goliath, in the grand scheme of things, and won't get the support that an underdog gets.

    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, and we generally keep things cordial around here anyway.

  13. #1263
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't think Facelift is a Buckeye hater. 3LB doesn't like Ohio St in the slightest, but he's a Michigander who escaped to the Northwest, iirc, and I don't expect folks from Michigan to be anything other than hostile to the Buckeyes. Nor should they be. Add to that the fact that tOSU is something of a Goliath, in the grand scheme of things, and won't get the support that an underdog gets.

    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, and we generally keep things cordial around here anyway.
    Yeah, so lighten up Hal.

    Of course Ohio St is all that and a bag of chips, yada yada. You want credit where credit is due? Nope.

    You must have missed my other dozen or so rants disparaging OSU and Woody. Probably a good thing.

  14. #1264
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,693
    Lot’s of good bowl matchups for sure. There will be plenty of cool football to watch over the next 3 to 4 weeks. Here in Michigan, I believe this is the first time ever that all 5 division I schools in the state are in a bowl game. I don’t think that has ever happened before. Of course, I will be rooting WMU in the First Responder Bowl in Texas. Michigan vs Alabama should be a classic slugfest too.

    I was kind of hoping someone different would get into the final 4, but it should be a good playoff. The Ohio State is playing right now, I am not sure that I see anyone knocking them off.

  15. #1265
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Lot’s of good bowl matchups for sure. There will be plenty of cool football to watch over the next 3 to 4 weeks. Here in Michigan, I believe this is the first time ever that all 5 division I schools in the state are in a bowl game. I don’t think that has ever happened before. Of course, I will be rooting WMU in the First Responder Bowl in Texas. Michigan vs Alabama should be a classic slugfest too.

    I was kind of hoping someone different would get into the final 4, but it should be a good playoff. The Ohio State is playing right now, I am not sure that I see anyone knocking them off.
    No controversy this year. In fact, I'm not sure that the 3 and 4 teams are in the same class with the top 2.

    Clemson hasn't played anyone near the calibre of OSU this year. The ACC is easily the weakest conference in football. I'm afraid the ghost of Woody Hayes is gonna rise up and slap Clemson up side the head again.

    Oklahoma is in right place at the right time. They can score but haven't been much on defense and haven't played a tough defense; they are now. I mean, they gave up over 40 points to Kansas State and Iowa State.

    Years ago the BCS committee would pit 1 and 2 against each other and call it the Championship game and I'm not sure I'd argue with it this year.

  16. #1266
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Because Ohio State couldn't possibly be good enough to shut Wisconsin down and score a bunch of points on them, could they? And I suppos OSU's earlier wins against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan were flukes, too.

    You guys should start your posts with the disclaimer, "I hate Ohio State". At least then, for people unfamiliar with your opinions, they know not to take you seriously.
    Spoken like a true blinded homer. My mom went to OSU - I hardly hate them. I have zero rooting interests college football at all, actually. I just watch it for the good games.

    Well, not entirely true - I've been rooting against Penn State since 2011, for obvious reasons.

    In fact, as far as OSU is concerned, I thought they were unfairly given a No. 2 seed in the playoff. Should have been the 1.
    Last edited by Facelift; 12-10-2019 at 08:55 AM.

  17. #1267
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,620
    Yeah, but you're the one who argued tooth and nail that OSU didn't belong in the 2014 playoff when the Massey ranking and ESPN's FPI both had them at #1. And still argued after the fact that their championship win was all a fluke. Of course I'm summarizing.

    As for the blinded homer comment, if that was true, as you claim, why did I argue against OSU being in the 2016 playoff? Go ahead, search for it. I'll wait.

    If anything, I'm the quintessential fair weather fan. So, nice try.
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

  18. #1268
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah, but you're the one who argued tooth and nail that OSU didn't belong in the 2014 playoff when the Massey ranking and ESPN's FPI both had them at #1. And still argued after the fact that their championship win was all a fluke.
    They didn't, and it was.

    This year, they should have been the No. 1 seed.

  19. #1269
    Lucky Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Schenectady NY USA
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm afraid the ghost of Woody Hayes is gonna rise up and slap Clemson up side the head again.
    Now, there's a memory...
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

  20. #1270
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,620
    How they voted for the Heisman:

    Name
    1st
    2nd
    3rd
    Total
    1. Joe Burrow
    841
    41
    3
    2,608
    2. Jalen Hurts
    12
    231
    264
    762
    3. Justin Fields
    6
    271
    187
    747
    4. Chase Young
    20
    205
    173
    643
    5. Jonathan Taylor
    6
    44
    83
    189
    6. JK Dobbins
    2
    36
    36
    114
    7. Trevor Lawrence
    3
    25
    29
    88
    8. Chuba Hubbard
    0
    11
    46
    68
    9. Travis Etienne
    0
    7
    11
    25
    10. Tua Tagovailoa
    1
    4
    13
    24

    Wow. Three players from Ohio State made the top ten.
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

  21. #1271
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,028
    Watching The Goodyear Cotton Bowl. Competitive game. Memphis was getting blown out and they keep fighting back.

  22. #1272
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,486
    I'm nervous about tonight's game. Our quarterback's knee is described by him as 80-85%, so I have to think he won't be running the ball much. That takes away a major component of the offense. It may take a full complement to beat Clemson, and right now they don't really have that.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  23. #1273
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching The Goodyear Cotton Bowl. Competitive game. Memphis was getting blown out and they keep fighting back.
    Gotta root for the Group Of 5 Champion. Memphis keeps battling.

  24. #1274
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Gotta root for the Group Of 5 Champion. Memphis keeps battling.
    BTW, Memphis offensive coordinator Kevin Johns was the OC here in Kalamazoo at WMU in 2017.

  25. #1275
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,028
    Turnovers killed Memphis. They'd get yardage, then turn it over.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •