Page 45 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1986

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

ESPN has to have some way to fill all that air time over the holidays....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ESPN has to have some way to fill all that air time over the holidays....
    I know it is hard for P5 fans to understand, but for Mid Major schools going to a bowl, any bowl, is still a pretty big deal. WMU is playing in the Potato Bowl in Boise Idaho against BYU this year. Yes, it ain't the Cotton Bowl, but it still gives the program exposure in a nationally televised game, gives them 3 extra weeks of practice which is invaluable especially for the underclassmen returning next year, provides a reward for the graduating seniors, and gives national exposure against a non-conference foe to those kids who are NFL prospects. These kids are fired up about going to Boise, even if it will most likely be cold and in front of a half empty stadium of mostly BYU fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know it is hard for P5 fans to understand, but for Mid Major schools going to a bowl, any bowl, is still a pretty big deal. WMU is playing in the Potato Bowl in Boise Idaho against BYU this year. Yes, it ain't the Cotton Bowl, but it still gives the program exposure in a nationally televised game, gives them 3 extra weeks of practice which is invaluable especially for the underclassmen returning next year, provides a reward for the graduating seniors, and gives national exposure against a non-conference foe to those kids who are NFL prospects. These kids are fired up about going to Boise, even if it will most likely be cold and in front of a half empty stadium of mostly BYU fans.
    Oh no doubt. My comment wasn't specific to the MAC situation just a more generic comment following up on Lockbox and ESPN controlling almost all these bowl games.
    I fully understand that the bowl games are a nice reward for the mid major schools and that extra practice time is valuable for any school.

There are a lot of Missouri fans around me down here grumbling about them going to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis instead of a Florida bowl like the Gator, Outback or Citrus, thinking they deserved a better location and opponent (Okla St) after an 8-4 season with 2 of the losses to Bama and Georgia (and a win over Florida). It's not the sexiest bowl around but it's an old traditional one and it's an easy 4 hour drive from StL down I-55. They should be happy with that bowl and pack the stadium with Mizzou fans. New Years Eve on Beale Street!

I kind of regret not traveling down to Memphis myself decades ago in the mid 80s when ND played a Doug Flutie led fairly highly ranked Boston College in the Liberty Bowl. We were disappointed not to have had a better season and get a New Years or higher profile bowl, but ND ended up beating Flutie in what was one of the few high points of the Faust years.

Also, I was kind of hoping to see Michigan matched up vs UCF to see how that would go.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-05-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Oh no doubt. My comment wasn't specific to the MAC situation just a more generic comment following up on Lockbox and ESPN controlling almost all these bowl games.
    I fully understand that the bowl games are a nice reward for the mid major schools and that extra practice time is valuable for any school.

There are a lot of Missouri fans around me down here grumbling about them going to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis instead of a Florida bowl like the Gator, Outback or Citrus, thinking they deserved a better location and opponent (Okla St) after an 8-4 season with 2 of the losses to Bama and Georgia (and a win over Florida). It's not the sexiest bowl around but it's an old traditional one and it's an easy 4 hour drive from StL down I-55. They should be happy with that bowl and pack the stadium with Mizzou fans. New Years Eve on Beale Street!

I kind of regret not traveling down to Memphis myself decades ago in the mid 80s when ND played a Doug Flutie led fairly highly ranked Boston College in the Liberty Bowl. We were disappointed not to have had a better season and get a New Years or higher profile bowl, but ND ended up beating Flutie in what was one of the few high points of the Faust years.

Also, I was kind of hoping to see Michigan matched up vs UCF to see how that would go.
    A Michigan / UCF matchup would have been great. UCF used to be in the MAC so I have kind of enjoyed following their story the last two years.

Yes, the Liberty Bowl is one of those traditional ones that have been around for many years. Mizzu / OK St should be a pretty good matchup, but yea I can understand why fans might not be happy with where they ended up.

I have been to a few bowl games over the years. I have been to the one in Detroit twice and one in Houston on year. They have all been good times.

Anyone watching The Black Knights vs. The Midshipmen?

Those are sharp looking Navy helmets.

Bowl season starts tomorrow with 5 games on tap, then a game or more a day (except NFL Sundays) until New Years. Always a fun time of year for college football fans.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bowl season starts tomorrow with 5 games on tap, then a game or more a day (except NFL Sundays) until New Years. Always a fun time of year for college football fans.
    Let's play "count the empty seats" I never understand how these make money, surely the TV money isn't that good for the Uncle Brians Beef Jerky Holiday Bowl?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Let's play "count the empty seats" I never understand how these make money, surely the TV money isn't that good for the Uncle Brians Beef Jerky Holiday Bowl?
    Producers instruct the cameramen to keep it tight so as not to show lack of attendance but the prog-concert-level crowd noise usually gives it away.

Aaaaaaand I'm watching the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl. Woo woo.......

Sly -

I'm heavily rooting for WMU against the %$^#&@ Mormons who came into Camp Randall and humiliated the obviously overrated Badgers.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Injecting a college bball comment in momentarily....
    Nice win by my South Bend IN Irish over the West Lafayette IN Boilermakers in the all Indiana Crossroads Classic in Indy. Great annual rotating rivalry among the 4 Indiana bball powers (ND, Purdue, Indiana, Butler).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Aaaaaaand I'm watching the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl. Woo woo.......
    I am in a bowl pool (pick the winners of all the bowl games) and picked the winner in that one, so I was cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sly -

I'm heavily rooting for WMU against the %$^#&@ Mormons who came into Camp Randall and humiliated the obviously overrated Badgers.
    The opening line was BYU favored by 12. This game is either going to be a blowout by BYU or a slugfest. The two teams have one mutual opponent in Northern Illinois. BYU lost to them, WMU beat them. The bottom line is going to come down to WMU’s defense. They played horrible most of the year which led to the defensive coordinator being fired after the 2nd to last game. Then in the final game against Northern Illinois with a new Defensive Coordinator the defense had probably the best game they have had all season. If the defense can play like that against BYU it should be a close game. Offensively WMU backup true freshman quarterback gets his 4th start. The kid has a big arm and is really talented, but still pretty green. Other than that the offense should be able to score against them. On the BYU side, defense is their strong point and they are significantly bigger than WMU. Offensively they have been inconsistent all year which hopefully WMU can take advantage of. Of course the weather in Boise could play a factor. WMU played in this game 4 years ago and it was horrid weather conditions. It will also be pretty much a home game for BYU as there are not many WMU folks who are going to travel to Boise in the middle of December, but there is a pretty large Mormon population in the area. If I were betting on this game I would take WMU plus the points, but in the end it all comes down to how the Bronco defense plays. Not sure how BYU feels about this bowl, but I can tell ya, the WMU guys are really fired up to be there.

What are you thinking with the Badgers against Miami? I am thinking Wisky should come out on top of that one, especially being a northern outdoor game.

Also on today, the Division II National Championship with Michigan's Ferris State Bulldogs going up against Valdosta St. on ESPNU

SS - the instant I saw the Badger-'Cane Pinstripe Bowl matchup I smiled. Now for a freakin' blizzard in NYC on the 27th!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

We'll see Steve. We'll see. Gloat all you want.......lol.

^^

Those southern boys don't like coming up north of the Mason-Dixon line in Dec/Jan.

Isn't someone here a fan of Ohio University? I can't remember, but seems like Frank Solich's team has come up in discussion here before. Anyway.......they pretty much destroyed San Diego State last night in the Frisco Bowl. It was a nice win for the Bobcats and the MAC.

^ I switched back and forth between that game and the Penguins-Capitals hockey game. The hockey game was pretty excellent, the football wasn't competitive, but at least the right team won.

Isn't someone here a fan of Ohio University? I can't remember, but seems like Frank Solich's team has come up in discussion here before. Anyway.......they pretty much destroyed San Diego State last night in the Frisco Bowl. It was a nice win for the Bobcats and the MAC.
    Since I stayed in San Diego & graduated from SDSU after I got out of the Navy before I went back to NYC, I'm now glad I forgot this game was on .

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Since I stayed in San Diego & graduated from SDSU after I got out of the Navy before I went back to NYC, I'm now glad I forgot this game was on .
    If it is any consolation Ohio destroyed WMU too earlier this season. One of the only times I have left a game at halftime it was so bad. The weather was horrible too so that didn't help.

Ahem.

Go Bobcats!

To be clear, I really consider myself a Buckeye fan rather a Bobcat fan, but I am an alum. Of both, actually, but my I got my BS from OU so I consider myself a Bobcat...
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Ahem.

Go Bobcats!

To be clear, I really consider myself a Buckeye fan rather a Bobcat fan, but I am an alum. Of both, actually, but my I got my BS from OU so I consider myself a Bobcat...
    Yup it's all coming back to me now.