Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I would disagree with that. Wisconsin's best win - and their only quality win this whole year so far - was a nail-biter home against a Nebraska team (currently #18) with even fewer high quality wins to their credit (zero). Washington's best win is significantly better - a 38-point road win at #12 (Utah). They also beat #24 at home (Stanford). If they were to continue to win, they'd also add a road win vs. Washington State (currently #22) and a neutral site win over #10 (Colorado) or #13 (USC).

Wisconsin isn't even in the conversation of making the playoffs ahead of Washington at that point unless they were to beat Michigan in the conference championship instead of Penn St, and even then I don't think they'd make it. But, Washington winning the rest of their games is a pretty tall order and I doubt that they'll do it. So, I think Wisconsin's chances are pretty decent.

I'd beware of a late-season surge of love for Oklahoma by the voters, if the Sooners were to win out. Alabama/Oklahoma will get much better ratings than Alabama/Wisconsin, and unfortunately the selection committee has already made it apparent that this is something that they think about.
    Umm....are you perhaps forgetting the first game of the season? Wisconsin, unranked at the time, beat (and dominated) #5 (at the time) LSU.

Seems like a quality win to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also beat Mich State (#8 at the time) as well as Iowa, who subsequently beat the Wolvies.
    Last edited by progeezer; 11-19-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Umm....are you perhaps forgetting the first game of the season? Wisconsin, unranked at the time, beat (and dominated) #5 (at the time) LSU.

Seems like a quality win to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also beat Mich State (#8 at the time) as well as Iowa, who subsequently beat the Wolvies.
    Yeah, you're right - I forgot that. So they also have a home win vs. #16 to their resume - not as good as @Utah, but better than home vs. Stanford.

Michigan State ended up being a terrible team, so it doesn't matter where they were ranked in September when they played - that win doesn't count for much.

Both of their losses were good losses.

Looks like a very solid resume to me. Lots more can happen, but they are definitely on the short list for that last spot right now, that's for sure.

Watching a barn burner between Va Tech and Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching a barn burner

The Amish are gonna be pissed!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Burp....

What an incredible day with ESPN college game day in town today. It was cold, snowy and windy, but we had a total blast. A once in a lifetime experience for sure. Then the game this afternoon with WMU rowing the boat to another win to go 11-0 was icing on the cake. I am frozen to the bone, but it was totally worth it. The Cinderella season continues.

You should be proud of me, Sly.

I'm watching WMU-Toledo instead of Nebraska losing to Iowa 33-10 with 10 minutes to go .

I'm confident Bucky will beat the Gophers tomorrow even if Nebraska improbably comes back to win. If Nebraska loses and Chryst wants to continue to have a prayer to make the playoffs, he better not rest his starters tomorrow even if they've already clinched the BIG title game.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Big time congrats, Steve. And Air Force took care of Boise St. for you too. Hope that results in a major Bowl, or at least as much as the system will allow.

ESPN is hyping the shit out of The Game, and the local stations are in a lather as well. Any predictions here on The Game? (I know this is PE, and if I ask for predictions on "The Game," I'll get predictions on 42 different games. So to be clear, I'm referring to the Ohio St-Michigan game tomorrow at noon in Cow Town.) I think that J.T. Barrett is the key to the game. If he's sharp passing the ball, I think the Buckeyes will rout Michigan. If he's throwing the ball behind receivers (as he often does,) it'll be a tough game that might require a defensive touchdown in order for the Bucks to win. OSU is faster, Michigan may be more physical. At any rate, this one has major implications for the NCAAF Playoff. Anyone brave enough to put on their prognosticator hat? I'll go Ohio St 33 Michigan 17.

Thanks guys. We were at the game tonight. Once again the weather was terrible, but with enough anti freeze in my system we had a fricking blast. Most under rated team in college football IMO. We will be Rowing The Boat in Detroit next Friday night for the MAC Championship game. A once in a lifetime season, gotta be there. Everybody loves a Cinderella story right? The little engine that could. Row The Boat!

Ohio State 31 Michigan 21

I really hope I'm wrong. While the happy valley boys are really good this year, they still aren't Ohio State.

Ohio State 31 Michigan 21

I really hope I'm wrong. While the happy valley boys are really good this year, they still aren't Ohio State.
    If Michigan wins today, they go to the B1G title game by virtue of head-to-head against Penn St, correct? So you like Bucky's chances better against Michigan than Penn St?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If Michigan wins today, they go to the B1G title game by virtue of head-to-head against Penn St, correct? So you like Bucky's chances better against Michigan than Penn St?
    My bad. I had it backwards. I would much rather play Penn State than either MI or OH ST. I'd rather play MI than OH ST.

Chronological dyslexia corrected.

My bad. I had it backwards. I would much rather play Penn State than either MI or OH ST. I'd rather play MI than OH ST.

Chronological dyslexia corrected.
    After Washington's rout at wash st. yesterday, though, the Huskies are just a Pac-12 championship game win away from making the playoffs (one loss). For a 2-loss Wisconsin team to make it, I think they need to do it by beating Michigan. Beating Penn St. probably won't be enough if Washington wins next week.

Well, after further thought, I think that Wisconsin guarantees themselves a spot if they beat Michigan. This would be because there would be 4 Big10 teams with 2 losses, and Wisconsin would have won the conference championship. If Ohio St. beats Michigan today, they will be the first Big10 team taken by the selection committee (probably at #2). Wisconsin would be left hoping that they are chosen over Clemson or Washington - not likely if those two teams win next week.
    Last edited by Facelift; 11-26-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    After Washington's rout at wash st. yesterday, though, the Huskies are just a Pac-12 championship game win away from making the playoffs (one loss). For a 2-loss Wisconsin team to make it, I think they need to do it by beating Michigan. Beating Penn St. probably won't be enough if Washington wins next week.
    If that scenario happens in the BIG championship, does MI still go with 2 losses, having beaten both OH ST & WI the first time?

Who does WA play in the Pac 12 game, btw?

Jim Harbaugh is a bigger asshole prick than Belichick & Chucky G combined!

Jim Harbaugh is a bigger asshole prick than Belichick & Chucky G combined!
    Indeed!

It would appear that the ghost of Mike Nugent present is haunting the Buckeyes as well!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

What else but O/T?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Gutted

As a Badger fan, you know I wanted the Wolvies to win (even though Moe had to point that out to me) that game.

Gophers are giving WI trouble right now (10-7 GG) but it's early.

Let's go Sparty! A win over OH ST would still get us into the playoffs imo (providing we wake the hell up today).

Ooofff. .what a game between Ohio and Michigan.

Way to go Hurricanes

I guess we'll see now if your PA ST theory holds water, Facey, if WA wins the PAC-12.

If PA ST beats the Badgers, are they in? Fair's fair.

If that scenario happens in the BIG championship, does MI still go with 2 losses, having beaten both OH ST & WI the first time?

Who does WA play in the Pac 12 game, btw?
    No (weaker schedule than Ohio State), but that scenario doesn't exist now...

I guess we'll see now if your PA ST theory holds water, Facey, if WA wins the PAC-12.

If PA ST beats the Badgers, are they in? Fair's fair.
    There's still more to happen, but IMO Penn State would definitely not make the playoffs over a 1-loss Washington team. IMO, Wisconsin is a slightly stronger potential 2-loss Big 10 champion than Penn State.