Page 57 of 80 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1986

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

I agree Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If you notice the quarterback runs into the defender. The defender is just waiting for the impact.
    Incredible. I see why you don't have tinfoil connecting the rabbit ears of the antenna on your TV. You've used all of it to make hats.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    (they've got one of - if not the best defensive front 7 in the country)
    I can't agree at all.
    That's okay. Everyone's allowed to make mistakes.

The front 4 is good, (but not as good as last year,) but the Buckeyes starting linebackers are the weakest group since before Tressel took over the program.
    Actually, when you look at the stats, the front 4 are as good as last year's team. No, they don't have a Chase Young, but as a unit (with Togiai, Cooper, and Harrison in the lineup) they're often performing better than the 2019 D line. And when you compare the stats of the front 4 in last year's Fiesta Bowl (vs Clem) with the front 4 in this year's Sugar Bowl (also vs Clem), the '20 team performed better. E.g. in '19, Clem had 158 rush yds while in '21, they had 44.

As for the LBs, when you look at the stats for the last 16 years (couldn't find stats prior to '05), 2020 is about in the middle - when Hilliard is starting - so I guess my statement was a little hyperbolic. But yours was, as well, in the opposite way.

As my cousin put it, "they're not flashy but get the job done." And that's been my perception. In the Sugar Bowl, after Shaun Wade, Werner, Hilliard, and Borland led the team in tackles and had 8 more than in '19.

Out of curiosity, I asked several relatives and friends their opinion on the LB corp and the overall opinion is that they're good to very good. Certainly not the best OSU has had since '05, but they're solid... at least, for the past 2 or 3 games and especially when Hilliard's in the lineup.

As for Alabama having the best front 7 in the country, I looked at all the stats that the front 7 would have a direct impact on, for both Bama & OSU. In 9 categories, Bama leads 5-4:
    OSU's D has better stats in 3rd Down Conv % (35 vs 41), 4th Down Conv % (46 vs 59), First Downs Allowed per game (19 vs 20), and Average Rushing Yards Allowed per game (89 vs 110).
    Bama leads in Red Zone Def (74% vs 83%), Average Pass Yds Allowed (243 vs 281), Points Allowed per game (19 vs 22), Sacks per game (2.8 vs 2.7), Tackles for Loss per game (6.4 vs 5.4).

In Total Defense among the Power 5 conference teams, Bama is ranked 15th, OSU is 21st (and I think that's due to their secondary, which has usually been lackluster).

The Nat'l Championship game will settle it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

If you notice the quarterback runs into the defender. The defender is just waiting for the impact.
    Dude, watch it again.

Regardless, one of the definitions of targeting is "lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet."

It was targeting.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't think the defender should have gotten ejected from the game. It should have been a 15 yard penalty and that's it. If the same player does it again, then toss him. The ejection part is unfair.
    Disagree. It's part of the rules. And just because most plays involving targeting doesn't result in serious injury, it does happen and that's what they're trying to eliminate. If you want to argue that an offensive player should also be penalized for targeting, then that's a discussion I'm on board with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Dude, watch it again.

Regardless, one of the definitions of targeting is "lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet."

It was targeting.
    You see one thing because you are an Ohio fan. The defender lowered his body with his arms open to make a tackle. The impact was initiated by the quarterback.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I hate OSU, the call was correct. Its the height of hypocrisy given your history of conspiracy theories on the Ravens to claim bias in others.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ In addition, Ed, show us the websites that claim that it wasn't Targeting and that it cost Clemson the game. After all, if it's just biased Ohio guys who think it was targeting, you should have no trouble finding websites that will uphold your position. Good luck, I look forward to reading what you find.

You see one thing because you are an Ohio fan.
    You mean Ohio State. Ohio is a different school. But, nice try. After the Fiesta Bowl last year, a lot of people were saying that the penalty call on OSU's Shaun Wade was bogus but, when I saw the replay, it was obvious to me it was targeting.

The defender lowered his body with his arms open to make a tackle.
    And then bent over, lowered his head, and extended his body forward to make the hit. Look at the section again at ¼ speed (press the gear icon between the "CC" icon and "YouTube" icon at the bottom right corner of the window).

But, regardless of all that, I quoted you the definition from the rule book.

If you want to continue to argue the rules, take it up with the NCAA.

RIP John Chaney. We're losing them like flies.

Former Louisville head coach Howard Schnellenberger passed away aged 87.

Another college player died after practice.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

College games starting today! Only a handful but it still counts ...

Next Saturday will be a bloodbath....Miami@Alabama. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    College games starting today! Only a handful but it still counts ...
    It was fun watching Gameday this morning.

Going to Georgia/Clemson next weekend. It’s going to be nuts.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Going to Georgia/Clemson next weekend. It’s going to be nuts.
    Is it a neutral site game or is one of them home? That should be a barn burner of a game.

Charlotte at Bank of America (Carolina Panthers home stadium).

I will have my Georgia red on.

^ Have fun, polmico!

Charlotte at Bank of America (Carolina Panthers home stadium).

I will have my Georgia red on.

Thanks, guys! My father-in-law is a professor emeritus at UGA, so he was able to score us tix (he is unable to attend himself). I don't expect UGA to win--I can't even name their QB this year--but it sure would be nice if they did. I'm guessing most people feel the same way.

Thanks, guys! My father-in-law is a professor emeritus at UGA, so he was able to score us tix (he is unable to attend himself). I don't expect UGA to win--I can't even name their QB this year--but it sure would be nice if they did. I'm guessing most people feel the same way.
    I have seen more than a few experts picking UGA to win the whole thing this year.

I guess I better get up to speed, then!

For all you fans of Michigan sports teams, who have been distressed at your various teams' lack of ability to beat teams from Ohio, there is a glimmer of hope:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2021/...mpionship-ohio

Ohio State looking very average, despite a lead after 3 quarters. Can't stop the Minnesota RB .
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence