3 Notre Dame
    4 LSU
    5 Michigan
    6 Georgia
    7 Oklahoma
    8 Ohio State
    9 UCF
    10 Washington State
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Earlier I watched the Fla State vs Clemson game. My God, how Florida football has gone down so much. Yeah, UCF is good but they're not taken seriously.
    For those few of us out there who root for Mid Major non P5 schools, UCF have become the new Boise State, and the type of program that we all strive to be. UCF gets respect from us.

Well, at least the AP isn't placing Meatchicken ahead of the team that beat them, and overrating Kentucky, who will almost certainly blow up like a toad before all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I know I'm not facelift but this is what you want: Massey Rating.

According to it...

1 Clemson
    2 Alabama
    3 Georgia
    4 LSU
    5 Notre Dame
    6 Michigan
    7 Oklahoma
    8 Kentucky
    9 Ohio St
    10 Florida

Three teams in the top 4 from the SEC.
    Only 43 of the eventual 108 polls are currently tabulated, though. You'd have to wait until tomorrow night or even Tuesday for the results to be complete.

And now after 63 polls in, we have (followed by the mean position)

1. Clemson: 1.76
    2. Alabama: 2.37
    3. Georgia: 4.45
    4. LSU: 4.60
    5. Michigan: 5.90
    6. Notre Dame: 6.44
    7. Oklahoma: 6.76
    8. Kentucky: 11.30
    9. Ohio State: 11.99
    10. Florida: 13.08
    Last edited by Facelift; 10-29-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The Massey ratings are just one of the many now abandoned computer rankings that the BCS used which were replaced by the Playoff Committee system. He's just some math professor at some podunk college in Tennessee. The computer rankings if you remember were lambasted by fans and the college football media for some egregious rankings which affected who got into the championship game, which is why they went back to a more human ranking method. The consensus opinion was that there was TOO much weight given to these arbitrary computer ratings which didn't take into account key factors.
    This simply isn't true. There is the Massey ratings itself (a fantastic formula for rating teams and vastly superior to all human polls) and then there is Massy's poll of polls which is an average of 108 polls, human polls such as the AP and Coaches poll *included.* You just typed four paragraphs of a response to something that you misunderstood.

The poll of polls is neither good nor bad - it simply is what it is: it represents the average of a bunch of people who have made it their business to rank college football. I mentioned it for its value insofar as being predictive about the poll that determines playoff game seeding. The ratings composite is pretty good about being accurate in this regard, especially for cases when the playoff poll deviates from the AP and Coaches polls. When the playoff poll has a positioning that differs from the AP and Coaches poll, this difference will usually be seen in the poll of polls as well. Put another way: when the poll of polls, prior to the first football playoff poll, is showing an order that differs from what the AP and Coaches poll is doing, it's worth taking note. It won't always be the case but, more likely than not, this difference will end up in the playoff poll as well.

That is why I find it to be very unlikely that, for example, Notre Dame will be ranked 3rd in first playoff poll that will be released this week. With 43 polls in for this week, Notre Dame is currently ranked 6th in polling average (though with more than half of the polls still to be added to the average, ND could feasibly move up to 5th, although they're too far behind the SEC schools right now to get any higher than that).

And as far as computer rankings that in any way prioritize head-to-head results... well there goes any credibility that the formula might have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For comparison, here's the AP poll:

1 Alabama
    2 Clemson
    3 Notre Dame
    4 LSU
    5 Michigan
    6 Georgia
    7 Oklahoma
    8 Ohio State
    9 UCF
    10 Washington State
    Looks about right to me, to this point in the season, at least for the top 7, and to most people who actually watch the football games played on the field. In fact, if LSU was placed 3rd right now, I wouldn't quibble too much with that, although the loss to Fla is problematic. I mean seriously, if you get absolutely no credit for beating head to head on the field an elite highly ranked Big Ten conference power, then what is the point of even playing the game? Any ranking or rating system that is unable to factor that in is worth less than what I use to wipe my ass with.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-29-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Looks about right to me, to this point in the season, at least for the top 7, and to most people who actually watch the football games played on the field. In fact, if LSU was placed 3rd right now, I wouldn't quibble too much with that, although the loss to Fla is problematic. I mean seriously, if you get absolutely no credit for beating head to head on the field an elite highly ranked Big Ten conference power, then what is the point of even playing the game?
    It's arguably meaningful at the end of the season to select the playoff teams. It's not meaningful whatsoever for an in-season ranking.

The CFP playoff rankings are in, and as I predicted, it's:

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. LSU
    4. Notre Dame

So the Massey Moron Poll is already way off (they had ND 6) so if people are using it as a predictor of the playoff rankings it's already failed in its purpose.
    LMFAO.

And by the way, I understand the difference between the Massey ranking and the Massey composite. The point is they are both wrong, and the AP poll is more accurate. That's why no one pays attention to the Massey garbage. The very idea that there are 108 polls out there to factor in is laughably absurd. If one of those 108 is not my Aunt Mabel's Poll which is based on uniform colors, then the whole thing is skewed from the get go.
    The AP accurately did not place Kentucky in its top 10, because they have sport writers who, you know, have actually seen Kentucky play. I saw Kentucky play Missouri, and they are a "butt ugly" team. Georgia will shellack them. So any ranking that has Kentucky ranked in the top 8 is used turlet paper.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-30-2018 at 08:36 PM.

The CFP playoff rankings are in, and as I predicted, it's:

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. LSU
    4. Notre Dame

So the Massey Moron Poll is already way off (they had ND 6) so if people are using it as a predictor of the playoff rankings it's already failed in its purpose.
    LMFAO.
    It was very close on most counts. Notre Dame was over by two spots, proving that Notre Dame is very much overrated this year by the playoff rankers.

You know the difference between the composite and Massey's rankings? LOL. You spent four paragraphs obliviously defending a point of view that was factually incorrect, and now you claim that you actually know the difference? You're a cowardly, lying fool.

But please keep posting. I very much enjoy watching the doddering old idiot spit out garbage sports theories that have been disproven for decades and scream at clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The "poll of polls" composite (which typically mirrors the BCS poll) has:
    1. Wrong. There is no BCS, and no BCS poll anymore. The BCS is defunct, and was replaced by the college football playoff system and the committee ranking.

the polls of polls is always very predictive of the Harris poll - much more so than the AP or coaches poll.
    2. Wrong. The Harris poll is irrelevant and not used anymore. It was used as one of the polling methods in the now defunct BCS system. That was replaced by the CFP committee ranking.

Whatever the poll is called - if it came out today, Michigan would definitely be ahead of Notre Dame. The last polls that came in only widened the gap.
    3. Wrong. Michigan was not ranked ahead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame was in the top 4, ahead of Michigan, just as I predicted.

The fact that Notre Dame beat Michigan is not relevant insofar as their relative positioning in a power ranking. It's just one strong win for ND and a strong loss for Michigan. Notre Dame has too many close wins against bad teams on its resume to be in the top 4 right now.
    4. Wrong. The fact that Notre Dame is unbeaten, Michigan has one loss, and that one loss is TO Notre Dame, is absolutely relevant, as evidenced by not only the AP and Coaches polls, which both ranked Notre Dame #3 and Michigan #5, but by the CFP ranking, which placed Notre Dame in the top 4, ahead of Michigan. Obviously those human beings who actually watched the game determined that head to head result is very relevant. The Moron Poll which you follow was wrong, and obviously is flawed because it does not take into account head to head results that occur on the field.

[QUOTE=Facelift;852464]
    There is the Massey ratings itself (a fantastic formula for rating teams and vastly superior to all human polls) and then there is Massy's poll of polls which is an average of 108 polls, human polls such as the AP and Coaches poll *included.* You just typed four paragraphs of a response to something that you misunderstood.
    5. Wrong. The Massey rating is one of the now abandoned computer rankings by some math prof in Bumblefock TN that was tossed aside by the college football playoff system for the very reason that the computer polls were producing bad and even silly results, and were being increasingly criticized by fans and media alike for their skewed results and inaccuracies which affected the BCS system. The computers were replaced by a more human hands on approach with the CFP committee, who while they may use some computer data, are supposed to actually watch the football games and implement a pragmatic, common sense approach which accounts for things like head to head results, and actual game outcomes. I addressed both the shortcomings of both Massey's ratings and this silly amalgamation of over 100 "computer polls" in several of my posts above, and I understand exactly what they are. They are a garbage in and garbage out amalgamation of crapola which amount to a Moron Poll. Most people, including you, have absolutely no idea how any of these over 100 computer ratings work, and what data is being used, emphasized or left out which affects the ratings, nor the predisposed biases built into them. For all you know, Aunt Mabel's Uniform Color System is one of the factors fed into this crap.

I mentioned it for its value insofar as being predictive about the poll that determines playoff game seeding. The ratings composite is pretty good about being accurate in this regard, especially for cases when the playoff poll deviates from the AP and Coaches polls. When the playoff poll has a positioning that differs from the AP and Coaches poll, this difference will usually be seen in the poll of polls as well. Put another way: when the poll of polls, prior to the first football playoff poll, is showing an order that differs from what the AP and Coaches poll is doing, it's worth taking note. It won't always be the case but, more likely than not, this difference will end up in the playoff poll as well.
    6. Wrong. Obviously the Moron Poll is not very predictive at all, since it was completely off and wrong this week. In fact the AP and Coaches Polls were much more reflective of the CFP rankings than the Moron "Poll of Polls". So the only thing the Moron Poll did was that was worth taking note was that they had Clemson ranked over Bama; Notre Dame ranked 6th instead of 4th; Michigan ranked ahead of Notre Dame; and Kentucky laughably ranked 8th. WRONG on every count.

That is why I find it to be very unlikely that, for example, Notre Dame will be ranked 3rd in first playoff poll that will be released this week. With 43 polls in for this week, Notre Dame is currently ranked 6th in polling average (though with more than half of the polls still to be added to the average, ND could feasibly move up to 5th, although they're too far behind the SEC schools right now to get any higher than that).
    7. Wrong in every statement. Notre Dame was ranked in the top 4 by the playoff committee, not 6th. Ahead of Michigan, not behind Michigan. Obviously the human polls weighed head to head, and the Moron Polls did not.

It's arguably meaningful at the end of the season to select the playoff teams. It's not meaningful whatsoever for an in-season ranking.
    8. Wrong. Head to head results are completely meaningful when evaluating team's resumes, especially when those teams have the same or similar records, as evidenced by the fact that both the AP and coaches polls ranked Notre Dame ahead of Michigan, as well of course as the CFP committee. Why would they not consider that factor meaningful now, but consider it meaningful later? That makes no sense. But then again, nothing you ever say is logical, or sensible. Which is why you follow the Moron Poll so zealously.

It was very close on most counts. Notre Dame was over by two spots, proving that Notre Dame is very much overrated this year by the playoff rankers.

You know the difference between the composite and Massey's rankings? LOL. You spent four paragraphs obliviously defending a point of view that was factually incorrect, and now you claim that you actually know the difference? You're a cowardly, lying fool.

But please keep posting. I very much enjoy watching the doddering old idiot spit out garbage sports theories that have been disproven for decades and scream at clouds.
    9. Wrong of course yet again. So typical of someone that worships a Moron Poll. When you are backed into a corner because you are utterly wrong about every single point you made, you childishly fling personal insults and resort to name calling. How pathetic and wimpy. But what is worse is you don't even have the balls to admit when you are wrong. Incredible.
    And talk about amusing, the idea that giving credibility and weight to a head to head on the field result in a football game is a "sports theory that is disproven for decades" sums up just what a ludicrous buffoon you are.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-31-2018 at 10:16 AM.

AP Top 25

1 Alabama(60) 8-0
    2 Clemson 8-0
    3 Notre Dame 8-0
    4 LSU 7-1
    5 Michigan 7-1
    6 Georgia 7-1
    7 Oklahoma 7-1
    8 Ohio State 7-1
    _______

CFP ranking

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. LSU
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Michigan
    6. Georgia
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Wash St

Moron Poll of Polls

1. Clemson
    2. Bama
    3. Georgia
    4. LSU
    5. Michigan
    6. Notre Dame
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Kentucky

DocProgger and Facelift have been suspended for 4 games, due to testing positive for banned substance.

Thank you to those who have brought this to the attention of the commissioner.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Phew.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Respite can mean many things......
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Miami-Duke is being played in a waterfall.

The field looks ok. Not that it's helping the Dullfins.

Christ, all that yardage and dominance for 6 points. 6 lousy points.

He'll of a win for Ohio St.

Maryland blows the game against Ohio State. Ohio State should drop out of the rankings after that game.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Anyone know what the penalty is for hands to the face by the offense? I know it's a personal foul, so it's 15 yard penalty, but does the down repeat or is it loss of down?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    He'll of a win for Ohio St.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Maryland blows the game against Ohio State. Ohio State should drop out of the rankings after that game.
    Ohio dodged a bullet there, they were awful, that Maryland RB looked like a sprinter.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Who are these imposters? And the LBs are the worst I've seen at tOSU in over 20 years.

And the Hurricanes finally win a game. Sheesh.

Badgers down 14 to Purdue with 9:00 minutes to go in regulation and come back and win in triple OT 47-44.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman