Page 36 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Wisconsin has the kiss of death on their season already.

For the first time, they are picked to make the BCS playoffs (pre-season #4).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    This was a half measure to appease people that something was being done while still trying to save face for the school. My guess is that Urban probably made it clear that he would sue if they canned him, which would have made the whole thing a legal mess, so they went with this. The oddest thing said in the press conference was they felt that Urban lied about some matters in that earlier press conference, but did not "deliberately" lie. Lol.
    Agreed.

On top of the semantic game playing (lies but not deliberate lies), we're supposed to believe that Urban didn't know about his own wife's string of text messages directly with Courtney Smith, which included pics of her bruised face. And, his wife was a OSU employee! They apparantly ignored that whole aspect. What a croc of BS.
    If Urban didn't do anything wrong, don't suspend him at all. If he did lie, did cover up for the coach, and did breach his contract, then they could have fired him. So it appears that the only reason he's not fired is that he has a great coaching record.

Also sad to see Gene Smith drop the ball so much, as a former ND football player, he should have done better.
    It's also interesting that OSU didn't release the written report until AFTER the press conference, so the media couldn't ask more specific and relevant questions at the press conference--and they still looked bad answering the few decent questions.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised, here. OSU gets to say that they did something, without really doing much of anything. Perfect outcome for them.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

On top of the semantic game playing (lies but not deliberate lies), we're supposed to believe that Urban didn't know about his own wife's string of text messages directly with Courtney Smith, which included pics of her bruised face. And, his wife was a OSU employee! They apparantly ignored that whole aspect. What a croc of BS.
    If Urban didn't do anything wrong, don't suspend him at all. If he did lie, did cover up for the coach, and did breach his contract, then they could have fired him. So it appears that the only reason he's not fired is that he has a great coaching record.
    Also sad to see Gene Smith drop the ball so much, as a former ND football player, he should have done better.
    Well, the lying, deliberate or not, (I suspect deliberately,) was to the media (and by extension, the fans.) I very much doubt the University sees that as a fireable offense, and I would agree with them. As for the texts, yes, that very much strains credulity, especially given the fact that most of the coaches wives were aware of the situation.

I can't pontificate, as I don't have all of the information, and Urban's reporting to superiors of the incident(s) injects a shade of grey into it. Who knows what went on behind the scenes at the athletic department the last six years. The university did hire an independent investigator with an excellent reputation, and then deliberated over the findings for most of a whole day. My guess, and it's only that, is that there is some complexity here that makes it less than a cut and dry case, however the media will frame it. But then they're pissed that he lied to them.

What, exactly, is a "non-deliberate lie?" How does that work?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Between "non-deliberate lie", "alternative facts" and "fake news", as well as other new catch phrases to our landscape, it's both depressing and hilarious.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Surprising how controversy followed this guy from Florida to OSU, you know, how he had a heart attack and needed to step away from the game (and the mess that the Gator program was in), only to dash up north to the OSU job; and now this.

Nah. I'm just joking... It's not surprising.

Nor is it surprising OSU is only going to give him a slap on the wrist considering their historic tolerance for football coaches' misbehavior. It took Woody Hayes charging a Clemson player and punching him in the throat (for intercepting a pass in the Sugar Bowl) for Ohio State to finally address that pugnacious asshole's run of sideline shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What, exactly, is a "non-deliberate lie?" How does that work?
    There's no such thing. Misstatement and inaccuracy are not lying. Lying requires intent. Urban clearly lied on Media Day, imo.

What shows me that he still doesn't "get it", is that in his world apology tour yesterday, he didn't include Courtney Smith.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    What shows me that he still doesn't "get it", is that in his world apology tour yesterday, he didn't include Courtney Smith.
    In so many words, he was sorry that they were ankle deep in shit. I understand being sorry for embarrassing the university, but yes, he ignored the one most negatively affected by the whole sordid affair.

^^^
    Mr. Ambiguity!
    Not really. I made the post because of what I said 26 posts up. I've got no problem admitting that I got one wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Wisconsin has the kiss of death on their season already.

For the first time, they are picked to make the BCS playoffs (pre-season #4).
    Bucky should be really good this year, but yea......high ratings like that usually backfire. Still I would think the Badgers should have pretty much a cakewalk in the Big 10 west.

Hard to believe we are only a week away from football. I have tickets to the WMU / Syracuse game next Friday night.

Bucky has 4 preseason All-Americans. We'll see how that holds up as the season goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Bucky has 4 preseason All-Americans. We'll see how that holds up as the season goes along.
    It almost never does.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    It almost never does.
    Idk Geez. Some of them are O Linemen, they usually meet expectations.

Watching Ohio St. vs. Oregon St.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching Ohio St. vs. Oregon St.
    The Buckeyes are licking the Beavers.

I see what you did there.......

Anyway, good. I'm glad they kicked ass on the opening game. I hope they do damage. No reason for the players and the program to get punished because of the head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Buckeyes are licking the Beavers.
    Brilliant!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The consensus down here is that the Hurricanes should beat LSU without any problem. Really? Is that so? Even the head coach says fans are nuts to think UM will just show up and beat 'em. We'll see. I gotta believe that Mark Richt has driven into the player's minds that this game is no cakewalk.

17-3 LSU.....Told ya.

Malik Rosier throws a pick 6. 27-3 LSU. See what I mean? Dumbass Miami fans. Suck it.

Total yards isn't that different, but it feels like LSU is dominating.

Oh, by the way, that LSU quarterback is the guy who would have been our backup, had he stuck around.