Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    You could have always watched 7-5 Arizona vs 6-6 Purdue which was on at the same time. It seems like half the bowl games have those kind of matchups.
    Kind of like the NFL playoffs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Eeesh. Not sure about the Hurricanes tomorrow. I wouldn't be shocked if they get the snot knocked outta them. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Eeesh. Not sure about the Hurricanes tomorrow. I wouldn't be shocked if they get the snot knocked outta them. We'll see.
    I think the Badgers will take it, but I think it is a good matchup and should be a solid game.

I'm expecting a solid win by Wisconsin.

I'm expecting a solid win by Wisconsin.
    I'm glad one of us is, Vic. It may actually depend as much on what's in the stands as what's on the field. Let's see how many Badger fans escaped the cold for a 'Canes home field game.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

THE Ohio State is bitch slapping USC!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The Cotton Bowl was always one of the traditional "day" bowl games, even after they moved it from New Years Day. Yet another tradition bites the dust.

Yeah, I remember the Cotton as one of the 4 major Bowls. At some point it was supplanted by the Fiesta for reasons that never became clear.

Despite all the talk of records and living legend, I'm glad to be seeing the last of J.T. Barrett in Columbus. Back to legit championship contenders with a legit passing game.

So far, the 'vaunted' SEC is 0-3 in bowl games. I think the Big 10 is 5-0.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I remember the Cotton as one of the 4 major Bowls. At some point it was supplanted by the Fiesta for reasons that never became clear.

Despite all the talk of records and living legend, I'm glad to be seeing the last of J.T. Barrett in Columbus. Back to legit championship contenders with a legit passing game.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm glad one of us is, Vic. It may actually depend as much on what's in the stands as what's on the field. Let's see how many Badger fans escaped the cold for a 'Canes home field game.
    Wisconsin almost always travels well. I am guessing you will see a lot of red in the stands tonight.

I could be wrong on this, but don't the major bowls rotate one game out of the New Years Day slot every year now? I know the Cotton Bowl was on New Years last year because WMU was in it and it was a huge sports bar event here in Kalamazoo.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    So far, the 'vaunted' SEC is 0-3 in bowl games. I think the Big 10 is 5-0.
    SEC teams play for championships, not 2nd-tier bowl wins. Alabama, in particular, of late, doesn't even try when they're not playing for the title. The Big 10 teams have a reputation for always trying hard in the bowls. Something to remember if you're betting. Doesn't change the fact that the SEC is the vastly superior conference.

Sam Darnold would do himself a great favor by staying in school. The kid has a ton of potential but is nowhere near NFL ready at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but don't the major bowls rotate one game out of the New Years Day slot every year now? I know the Cotton Bowl was on New Years last year because WMU was in it and it was a huge sports bar event here in Kalamazoo.
    I don't know. If so, it's been re-elevated, because it went through a long period where it wasn't getting the major match-ups. Next tier, maybe, but not the top. And I don't think they were in the B(S)CS rotation of Bowls. I think when I was a kid, the Cotton always had the winner of the Big 8 Conference against a Top-10ish team. I'm not aware of any tie-in with the current Big 12, but...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    SEC teams play for championships, not 2nd-tier bowl wins. Alabama, in particular, of late, doesn't even try when they're not playing for the title. The Big 10 teams have a reputation for always trying hard in the bowls. Something to remember if you're betting. Doesn't change the fact that the SEC is the vastly superior conference.
    Once you get past Georgia, Auburn & Alabama the SEC isn't very strong at all, it's not the conference that is strong, they have 3 good teams.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Once you get past Georgia, Auburn & Alabama the SEC isn't very strong at all, it's not the conference that is strong, they have 3 good teams.
    Exactly, and with the exception of Bama, the SEC is a very ordinary conference the last 4-5 years. In fact, the ACC has been a stronger conference overall the last several years, both in head to head vs SEC and in bowl matchups. The ACC has won 2 of the last 4 national championships, the SEC(Bama) one. People like Facelift buy into the media hype of the SEC, which always amuses me. Bama, which didn't even win their division much less the conference, are fortunate to be in the 4 team playoff, given their lack of signature wins.

the Cotton always had the winner of the Big 8 Conference against a Top-10ish team. I'm not aware of any tie-in with the current Big 12, but...
    Actually, thinking a bit more about it, I think I can recall the Southwest Conference (SWC) winner landing in the Cotton. They then morphed into the Big 8.

Actually, thinking a bit more about it, I think I can recall the Southwest Conference (SWC) winner landing in the Cotton. They then morphed into the Big 8.
    Yep, the SW conference champion was locked into the Cotton Bowl for years vs an at large team of the CB's choice. When the SW Conf folded that tie-in switched to the new Big 12. The old Big 8 tie-in was the winner to the Orange Bowl. Now the Cotton I think is part of the rotation of 6 big bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Peach), but I don't think it's one of the bowls that host the NC game. But the tie ins are gone, which is why it was USCvs Ohio St this year(which normally would be the Rose Bowl of course).
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-30-2017 at 01:53 PM.

I don't know. If so, it's been re-elevated, because it went through a long period where it wasn't getting the major match-ups. Next tier, maybe, but not the top. And I don't think they were in the B(S)CS rotation of Bowls. I think when I was a kid, the Cotton always had the winner of the Big 8 Conference against a Top-10ish team. I'm not aware of any tie-in with the current Big 12, but...
    The Cotton Bowl is still considered a "Big 6" bowl that in theory features 2 of the top 12 teams in the country. For the last 4 years at least one of the teams in each game was from the Big 10, although I don't think there is a direct tie in with the conference. When WMU was in it last year (MAC Conference), the Cotton Bowl was the designated "Big 6" bowl for the highest rated Group Of 5 school (WMU last year). The Group Of 5 Bowl designation rotates from year to year among the Big 6 bowls. This year it is the Peach Bowl, on New Years Day, featuring UCF. Anyway.......my guess would be that you will see the Cotton Bowl back on New Years Day next year, and one of the other bowls will be the featured night game prior to New Years.

Fffffuck. I can't believe this. The game is not being broadcasted locally. I can't see it. I'm home, I'm not going out again. Damn, shit, and goddamed.

Fffffuck. I can't believe this. The game is not being broadcasted locally. I can't see it. I'm home, I'm not going out again. Damn, shit, and goddamed.
    Wow, how is that possible? It's on ESPN??

Why wasn't the Miami coach ejected like the player was the other night for touching a referee. That was a horseshit move by the referee the other night.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Agreed, he should have been tossed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Query: isn't Taco Bell about out of ways to reconfigure their beans, meat and cheese food into new shapes?