Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Saw Herbie on ESPN at midnight. Wasn't exactly shilling for the Buckeyes.
    Haven't heard him speak yet. But on Sportscenter they ran a scroll with various analysts Top 4, and he's got Ohio St #4.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Haven't heard him speak yet. But on Sportscenter they ran a scroll with various analysts Top 4, and he's got Ohio St #4.
    Read the header: It's who he thinks the committee will put in, his projection. He said Alabama is better, and USC deserves strong consideration too. He also said tOSU doesn't pass the eye test. Not sure what else he could do.

What I saw just said "Herbies Top 4". I will hold off further comment until I can hear his analysis. He may have backed off a bit from last week, where he was clearly stating Ohio St's case to get in with gusto. I get it, he's an alum.

add-I did just see JGalloways comments. He clearly said Ohio St should get the 4th spot over Bama.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-03-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    TCU or ND.
    What about UCF, who was my first thought based on geography?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I would pick them. The NFL lets the Patriots in every year and they are in the weakest division and still have to cheat to win. You swap the Patriots and Browns they might make a wild card every 5th year.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bama or OSU? Can I have neither please?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I think the group of five champion goes to the Peach Bowl this year.

What I saw just said "Herbies Top 4". I will hold off further comment until I can hear his analysis. He may have backed off a bit from last week, where he was clearly stating Ohio St's case to get in with gusto. I get it, he's an alum.
    He took a lot of shit, and I mean death threat level stuff, in Columbus a few years ago when he didn't carry the Buckeyes water in a situation like this. I don't recall the particulars, but a Google search should turn them up.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bama or OSU? Can I have neither please?
    If you listen to the pundits, the answer is "no." Hell, Saban was on the phone last night lobbying on one of the shows.

Realized watching the games this weekend that my Irish played 4 of the 10 power 5 conference playoff teams, and 5 of the top 16 CFP ranked teams. They lost by 1 point to the SEC Champ(Georgia), shellacked the Pac 12 Champ (USC), lost bad to then #7 unbeaten Miami on road, lost to Stanford on the road, shellacked Michigan St on the road. Aside from possibly Auburn, that has to be the toughest schedule in the country, certainly among the top 25. They have no losses to unranked teams. Quite frankly, that's arguably a better overall résumé than either Bama or Ohio St. ND didn't get obliterated by an unranked team like Ohio St, and they played 4 of the top 12 teams and no FCS cupcake game unlike Bama.

Now of course ND won't get in, but it shows how meaningless the "they are undefeated" argument is. Some teams that played a weak schedule lost the only real tough highly ranked game they played (Bama, Wisc). Some teams like UCF don't play ANY highly ranked teams, so no, a mid major like UCF doesn't belong anywhere near the playoff. Who you play means everything. Being undefeated by itself doesn't mean a whole lot if you haven't played a rigorous schedule. ND had the opportunities to get in and blew it vs a few of those highly ranked teams. But the point is they played those highly ranked teams.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-03-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Just heard Badgers vs. Hurricanes in the Orange Bowl. Should be interesting. Miami had a good year. That loss against Pitt really stung more than yesterday's spanking by Clemson. I expected a convincing win by Clemson but losing to Pitt was like the Dolphins losing to the Jets in Miami earlier this year. I was so rip roaring pissed off .......We'll just look at my avatar....

And it's Alabama.

Like I said last week, the scenario where the chalk won out, Alabama and Ohio St. had roughly a 50/50 chance for that last spot (Ohio St. held a bit of a slight advantage, according to 538.com after conclusion of the games yesterday).

They gave it to Alabama, which I have to agree with. They are the better team, and the idea is to pick the four best teams. Ohio St. would have been about a 6 point underdog to Clemson. Alabama opened as a 1 point favorite. There is no chance that Ohio St. would have been the favorite over Clemson, at any point in time between now and kickoff.

Quite frankly very surprised they took Bama over Ohio St and in the process took 2 SEC teams and excluded both the Pac 12 and the Big Ten from the playoff. Also no northern teams, all southern teams. Took a team that didn't win its conference and didnt even play a conf champ game for 2nd year in a row, so the "Conf Champion" thing has been de-emphasized. In fact from the sound of it it was largely the terrible Iowa loss that made the difference, and the B10 champ game was largely irrelevant.
    From a selfish perspective that line of thinking helps a school like ND, which isn't in a conference and cant play in a conference champ. So I never want to hear in the future "they don't play or won a Conf champ game".
    I honestly didn't think they would leave the B10 on the outside looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just heard Badgers vs. Hurricanes in the Orange Bowl. Should be interesting. Miami had a good year. That loss against Pitt really stung more than yesterday's spanking by Clemson. I expected a convincing win by Clemson but losing to Pitt was like the Dolphins losing to the Jets in Miami earlier this year. I was so rip roaring pissed off .......We'll just look at my avatar....
    God, how uninteresting. The idea should be to take some offense-first teams and pit them against a defense-oriented team, for interesting contrast. Or do a matchup that gets fans interested. More awful bowl selection. Wisconsin just went undefeated until last night. Can't we have them play USC (for some traditional Big10/Pac10) or TCU (contrasting styles) or even Central Florida? Notre Dame?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    And it's Alabama.

Like I said last week, the scenario where the chalk won out, Alabama and Ohio St. had roughly a 50/50 chance for that last spot (Ohio St. held a bit of a slight advantage, according to 538.com after conclusion of the games yesterday).
    Chalk didn't win out. Lower ranked Georgia beat higher ranked Auburn and lower ranked Ohio St beat higher ranked Wisconsin.

Quite frankly very surprised they took Bama over Ohio St and in the process took 2 SEC teams and excluded both the Pac 12 and the Big Ten from the playoff. Also no northern teams, all southern teams. Took a team that didn't win its conference and didnt even play a conf champ game for 2nd year in a row, so the "Conf Champion" thing has been de-emphasized. In fact from the sound of it it was largely the terrible Iowa loss that made the difference, and the B10 champ game was largely irrelevant.
    From a selfish perspective that line of thinking helps a school like ND, which isn't in a conference and cant play in a conference champ. So I never want to hear in the future "they don't play or won a Conf champ game".
    I honestly didn't think they would leave the B10 on the outside looking in.
    As I said earlier, conference championships don't matter in any kind of special sense. except that they are another game vs. a power team. If a team wins the game, they get the value of that win added to their resume. But there is nothing special about the win vs. a game vs a good team played at any other point in the season.

Just like the rankings from one week don't matter the next week. Each team is evaluated from the ground up every week. I said all of this in previous posts. Will heartily pat myself on the back for being right, yet again.

Chalk didn't win out. Lower ranked Georgia beat higher ranked Auburn and lower ranked Ohio St beat higher ranked Wisconsin.
    Ohio State was the favorite over Wisconsin by six points. I used "chalk" interchangeably as favorite.

However you are right in that I did make the mistake with Auburn. On the other hand, the Auburn/Georgia winner was getting in and which one won had on impact on the rest of the field. But yes, I did make an error in semantics.

The bowl selections haven't been made yet beyond the CFP, so I don't see how anyone can know for sure what the Orange Bowl will be. People can speculate on possible matchups, and Miami playing at home wouldn't be unusual, but there is a formal selection process that hasn't taken place yet for the Big 6 bowls.

So Miami gets a home game bowl. That's fair (NOT!).

I don't give a shit who Bucky plays, but really, Miami in Miami???

If your 'Canes can't beat Bucky in Miami, maybe you should fire bomb the Orange Bowl, Vic. (I was going to say burn not just your hats, but your house too, but that's too harsh).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Ohio State was the favorite over Wisconsin by six points. I used "chalk" interchangeably as favorite.

However you are right in that I did make the mistake with Auburn. On the other hand, the Auburn/Georgia winner was getting in and which one won had on impact on the rest of the field. But yes, I did make an error in semantics.
    When people use the term "chalk" for instance in the NCAA bball tourney, they are talking about the seedings/rankings, not what some Vegas betting line is.

When people use the term "chalk" for instance in the NCAA bball tourney, they are talking about the seedings/rankings, not what some Vegas betting line is.
    In the NCAA tournament it means seedings only, and the teams in these championship games are not seeded. It has nothign at all to do with poll rankings. So you totally botched the term.

"Chalk" informally just means "favorites." People who bet on games use the term all the time.

But I was wrong in one of the matchups. Auburn was a small favorite over Georgia, so Georgia's win was not "chalk."

We have one chance to end the season on a good note. Eh, we'll see. That's all we can do, wait-n-see. I haven't seen Wisconsin play this year so no feeling about the matchup. Either way I'm not burning a Hurricanes hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    We have one chance to end the season on a good note. Eh, we'll see. That's all we can do, wait-n-see. I haven't seen Wisconsin play this year so no feeling about the matchup. Either way I'm not burning a Hurricanes hat.
    The gambling line will be close to even.

As I said earlier, conference championships don't matter in any kind of special sense. except that they are another game vs. a power team. If a team wins the game, they get the value of that win added to their resume. But there is nothing special about the win vs. a game vs a good team played at any other point in the season.

Just like the rankings from one week don't matter the next week. Each team is evaluated from the ground up every week. I said all of this in previous posts. Will heartily pat myself on the back for being right, yet again.
    You can pat yourself on the back all you want Rubber Man, but you've proven nothing and keep contradicting yourself. The CFP parameters are anything but static and change every year depending on circumstances. Most of these experts on ESPN are expressing surprise about the "Conf champ" factor not being more important and the B10 being left out. It's supposed to be a key tiebreaker in a close call. What the surprise is this year is that it really wasn't a close call btw Bama and Ohio St--if it were the Conf championship would have made the difference. So unlike your "prediction" based on some silly betting site, it really was NOT a 50/50 call btw those 2 teams.

Oh, and the rankings from the previous week do matter. Had the games gone "chalk", the top 4 would have remained unchanged.

What it does prove is that Saban's deal with the Devil is still going strong.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-03-2017 at 02:18 PM.

You can pat yourself on the back all you want Rubber Man, but you've proven nothing and keep contradicting yourself. The CFP parameters are anything but static and change every year depending on circumstances. Most of these experts on ESPN are expressing surprise about the "Conf champ" factor not being more important. It's supposed to be a key tiebreaker in a close call. What the surprise is this year is that it really wasn't a close call btw Bama and Ohio St--if it were the Conf championship would have made the difference. So unlike your "prediction" based on some silly betting site, it really was NOT a 50/50 call btw those 2 teams.

What it does prove is that Saban's deal with the Devil is still going strong.
    You think that if Ohio State had completed the blowout that they started in the first half last night, that they would not have been the fourth team? Of course they would.

Almost every ESPN analyst picked Ohio State as the team last night after the games. However, I figured that their only winning a close game would keep them out. It did.

I'm right, yet again.